• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#76 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:01 PM

You can buy tomatillo seeds from the Organic Gardening Catalogue. I can highly recommend this company especially if you are after more unusual varieties.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#77 fauldsb

fauldsb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

I had a leaflet put through my door last week advertising plant sales at Spa Hill allotments on 7 May - I'm going to head down there and hopefully replace the tomato and chillis which cooked off in my propagator.

#78 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:56 AM

It's the Kent House Leisure Gardens open day in Sydenham 22nd.
They will have vegetable, herb and flower seedlings for sale, plus various demonstations e.g. bee keeping, music and food, bric-a-brac and craft stalls.
The Leisure Gardens are essentially allotments with a difference. They are located between 91-93 Kent House Road opposite Woodbastwick Road, and are open 11am-3pm. 2 entry fee which will go to St Chrisopher's Hospice.
I am hoping to pick up veggie plants as was unable to get going with seeds in the last 6 weeks.

Edited by RachelF, 15 May 2011 - 12:21 PM.

Rachel
My link

#79 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

Sounds interesting Rachel - I might pop along if I'm free.

I've now got sugar snaps, green beans, tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce and a load of herbs going in the garden. Also have redcurrant and blackcurrant bushes :).
Mel, Forum Moderator

#80 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:09 AM

I've got my first baby pea pod! (Kelvedon Wonder)

Everything else - Black Russian tomatoes, Black Cherry tomatoes, Marketmore cucumbers, Crystal Lemon cucumbers, a chilli pepper, strawberries - is at young plant stage now. First early potatoes went in LATE so we only have the first couple of shoots so far. Main crop still to show through.

Still need to get round to sowing spinach, salad and radish. They're small and quick so I didn't think I'd need to adhere to the sowing season that closely.

I've ordered some Sweet Pea Currant tomato seeds. Not tried them before. They sound interesting - hundreds of tiny, ultra-sweet fruits apparently. They'll just have to fruit late as I couldn't resist them so they will be starting from seed this weekend.

#81 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:08 AM

That all sounds very organized, Spoon.
I have been out of action for a while, so nothing sown in spite of tons of seeds bought earlier in the year :(
I am potentially reaping the benefits of last year though with deliciously strawberries already fruiting and alpine ones on the way, fledgling redcurrants and blueberries (fingers crossed) and lots of herbs.
What can I still sow? Or should I just go for plants? I am restricted to two raised beds and pots.
Rachel
My link

#82 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:07 PM

My initial thought was lettuce, beans and peas but there are quite a few things mentioned on this page.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#83 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:24 PM

That's a nice, encouraging page, gekko! RachelF - looks as though you could still add quite a lot to the haul you're already seeing. Hope you manage to get some seeds in.

Update on the Pot Plot at ours (no ground suitable for growing - everything is in containers): main crop potato shoots showed up overnight :D

#84 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

You'll be glad you used pots where potatoes are concerned as we were pulling up old spuds for about three years after I planted them in a raised bed :blink:. They can be a bugger to get rid of as they root pretty deeply.

I'm also doing everything in pots now. It's easier to shift plants around if they need more or less sun. The only downside is they tend to require more watering.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#85 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

I have JUST come back from my allotment having finally put this yrs seed potatoes into the ground. Am waaaay behind (understatement!), but have just not had the time. Toms, courgettes, cucumbers, spinach and butternut squash and pea shoots (I started them at home) went in last weekend. Have more stuff at home that needs to get a bit bigger before I'll plant it out. Will think about sewing some lettuce too, I think.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#86 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:17 AM

Lots of edible gardens to visit, free, this weekend: http://www.capitalgr...ts/opengardens/