25 replies to this topic

#16 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:48 AM

I OPPOSED the development.

they are planning to have FOUR 1bed flat ... these are clearly speculative developments that will add NOTHING to the area .... I do not oppose the buy-to-let business but I'd rather see Crystal Palace to develop harmoniously than becoming a "business centre" for developers and ivestors ... this DOES NOT bring a stable economic and social growth of the area and Councils should be made aware of it!

flats/houses that let family live in 2bed+ are the way forward to let people build and develop the local economy as either providers or users (or both) ....

I seriously DO NOT understand how in this country we can let developments go ahead with little interest in providing an economic and social stability to the area!!

ARGH!!!

end of rant .....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#17 FishFry

FishFry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:51 PM

Might I suggest that the one-way system was utterly irrelevant to the CD shop closing. The rude unfriendliness of the staff might have a bit more to do with it. That and their refusal to take cards for payment. Oh, and the snotty, miserable sign on the door reminding potential buyers that this was a shop and not a kids' play area etc, etc... The CD market is ultra competitive and they should have thought about what the effects of their behaviour was rather than blaming the traffic flow. No-one ever needed to drive and park there, far more of a impulse purchase. Not much sympathy, I'm afraid.

#18 Sedgley Warrior

Sedgley Warrior

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:22 PM

You didn't like them then?

#19 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 10:25 AM

Beanos is opening up its middle floor before Xmas to other sellers shifting records and CDs. An indoors boot fair they call it.

Edited by Bovine Juice, 14 October 2007 - 10:25 AM.

#20 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:39 AM

I thought the sign on their door was rather amusing - i don't see how you could take offense to it when its pointing out the obvious! ha ha... oh well - Personally i never had a problem with the staff in there - always very polite and quite helpful if you were ever stuck for a name or style of music.... shame...
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#21 sampilger

sampilger

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 02:06 PM

Yep, I still mourn their closure. Always very helpful to me...

#22 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:49 AM

I thought the sign on the door was fine.

They were generally helpful in there although in the last year/18 months their stock seemed to run down and the breadth of music (particularly in the soul section) seemed to deplete.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#23 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 09:44 AM

I agree - always very polite and helpful to me too. I think the signs fair enough - you should after all, control your children.
M A N G O

#24 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

Not sure if has already been mentioned but this proposed development on 10-12 Westow Hill was recently refused for a few reasons such as loss of light for adjoining properties &

"The proposal would result in the loss of an active retail frontage that would be detrimental to the retail character and vitality of the main retail frontage"

http://planning.croy...ystemkey=115033

Bit bizarre in my opinion as it is replacing a rather grotty building , which is closed anyway & reintroducing the line of the street so im not sure who would suffer loss of light.

http://planning.croy...ine/34549_4.pdf

#25 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

The proposal was for the store to become an entrance for a development behind Westow Hill. This is a very rare occaision where there Council has got it right.

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#26 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 09:41 PM

Do you not mean the original proposal that was withdrawn which got rid of the retail element this one retained the retail element but this was reduced as an entrance was to built thereby losing some of the retail space.

However I do see the development does intrude on the next door property somewhat.

http://planning.croy...ine/34549_4.pdf