21 replies to this topic

#1 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:02 PM

Hi

I need someone to shed a light on this. I live in Lambeth/Gipsy Hill within the conservation area. I was under the impression that I needed a planning application to replace my windows with new like for like hardwood double glazed windows.

However, speaking to Lambeth Planning they suggested that I do not need any permission as I am going to replace like for like
I have asked if and how I can have a surveyor to come around and check if the work is done properly, above all I wanted to check with them that the new windows fit with their requirements.

She gave me another number to contact and (Building Permission?) and they suggested that I need a “Building Notice” ….

I am getting a little bit confused and if there is anyone who could shed a light on this then it will be very much appreciated.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#2 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:21 PM

I managed to get some more information and they suggest I need a Building Notice, apparently there is a fee of circa £350, which I believe is a little bit of extortion considering that:
1) They just have to come around and check the property for maybe less than 1 hour
2) The new windows are not having any impact on the façade and look of the property (I would not dare to)
3) Double glazed windows will help keeping my flat warmer and therefore be more eco-friendly

I may be barking at the wrong tree but it would be nice if they could start supporting projects that help the environment without affecting the historic buildings!

I think I will opt for restoring the windows which costs 1/3 of the replacement and does not need any planning/building permission, though it is not as eco-friendly as Pla A.

Argh …. Sorry end of rant!

Edited by LSPE, 20 February 2007 - 12:23 PM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:32 PM

for more info consult www.fensa.org.uk or general number 0207 645 3700 FENSA LTD

Sure they will be able to help

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:20 PM

I don't think you need to apply for Buildings Regulations if you use a Fensa registered window company that will provide you with a Fensa certificate once the installation is complete?

Would be interested to hear how you get on with restoring the existing windows, LPSE. As I'm in a Listed building, it's probably my best option at some time in the future.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#5 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 01:35 PM

I will keep you posted - I had few quotes for the restoration and if it's less hassle I will go or it !

Re changing the windows: they said I need the Building Notice even if is Fensa!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#6 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:19 PM

FENSA only certificate replacement windows & doors they do not cover new build/ conservatories /porches. Listed /conservation properties would usually need planning permission however if it was confirmed that the windows do not need any special planning permmission only then could a FENSA installer could certificate the instalaltion via their FENSA registration.

Someone quite close to me works for FENSA

If only a repair this would not need permission or certification by FENSA or the local authority.

Dazza

#7 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 02:27 PM

Thanks

Everything started when I asked last year and they suggested I needed planning permission; however I did not go ahead with the job as I was changing jobs and I lost all the details.

I called them again today but they seemed to give me different information from last here, hence my confusion!

I will try to dig out the docs I prepared last year and work on those, last year hey suggested speaking to a “FAST TRACK” team to sort it out.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#8 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:51 PM

for more info consult www.fensa.org.uk or general number 0207 645 3700 FENSA LTD

Sure they will be able to help

Dazza

Fensa suggested that they cannot help and I need to refer to the local council planning department - back to Square one !
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#9 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:35 PM

This may help

http://www.lambeth.g...78A137F7969.htm

If your house is covered by an Article 4 Direction, you may also need planning permission for other home alterations, such as replacing windows and doors, creating a parking space in your front garden or painting the outside of your house.

Gipsy Hill does not appear to be subjcet to Article 4.

However I don't know if Buiding regs apply. If it helps I just arranged for Sashsmart to overhaul a sash window and they installed insulation and 6 mm laminated glass which gave us alot of benefits we owuld hav got with a new replacment but keeping teh existinh window. It wasn't cheap but I wholeheartedly recommend their professionalism.

#10 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 10:09 PM

If it does not come under FENSA then it must come under planning control/building regulations these are the only people who can approve replacement windows as per new legislation 01/04/2002.

If your local authority confirms there is no special requirements for your replacement windows then you can use a FENSA registered installer who could then self certificate the installation.

Are you totally replacing the window ie going back to brick or are you just replacing the sash & retaining the frame this would then be considered a repair & would not need certification.

I am really surprised your local authority has not given you a difinitive answer.

Dazza

#11 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 08:03 AM

Replacing the frame as well .... weell ym local authority told me last year I needed a planning permission whilst this year they said I don't and they referred me to Building Control who suggested I need a Building Notice.

I will contact them again today probably I just spoke to the wrong person!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#12 Richard

Richard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

Have just been looking into this myself. Our house is in Belvedere road and falls within the Bromley conservation area and is locally listed. The advice I got was as long as I was replacing the windows in the same style, size (ie not making the hole any bigger or smaller), material (ie wood) then planning permission is not necessary.

#13 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:36 AM

Richard in this case if you was replacing windows you would still need the installation to be registered via a FENSA registered company or thru building regulations as per new legislation 01/04/2002.

Dazza

#14 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:33 PM

this piece from the original box sash window company website seems to summarise quite nicely:

http://www.boxsash.c...tion.html#fensa

#15 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:36 PM

Any joy on getting that definitive answer re whether you need planning permission or not, LSPE? Even if they say no by email/phone etc, I'd still get the official confirmation in writing before going ahead, to cover you if/when you may sell your property, as this issue will be raised in the conveyancing process.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage