• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:44 PM

I have got a blind date but am struggling for ideas of where to take her. All I have sorted out is that we have agreed to go for a drink somewhere around Dulwich or Crystal Palace but I don't go out round there much so don't really know what the bars/pubs are like. I need somewhere that is not too quiet but not too loud and is also a bit upmarket (ie. not some sticky floored traditional boozer).

Any suggestions?

Willy

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:56 PM

Two places that are never quiet are the White Hart and Numidie Wine Bar. Both are bustling even in the week (don't know what night you are going?). I guess it comes down to whether you prefer to go somewhere that sells good beer and is an upmarket 'pub' or a place that is more about wine and has slightly more intimacy. The other option is the Mansion at the bottom of Gipsy Hill. The Black Sheep is nice but very smoky so unless you both smoke it not be ideal for a first date.

Hope it goes well!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 01:57 PM

Easy - the bar at Numidie - where else?! :)

#4 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:27 PM

Numidie maybe a tad too intimate on the first date (doing the blind date thing myself at the moment so know how it feels haha).... so i would opt for the mansion at the bottom of the hill.... then if you wanted to grab a bite to eat after a few hours of chat then theres some good restaurants there too.... GOODLUCK!
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#5 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 02:54 PM

What's the Manson like on a Saturday evening? I went there when it was the Paxton once but that was over 10 years ago (the memory still haunts me!)...

#6 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:23 PM

Busy at the Mansion. Of course Numidie is a bit low level light if you feel the need for that... :ph34r:
Nick, Forum Moderator

#7 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

Haha! What I may need is a side exit.... ;)

#8 anerleymartin

anerleymartin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 04:03 PM

What's the Manson like on a Saturday evening? I went there when it was the Paxton once but that was over 10 years ago (the memory still haunts me!)...

The mansion is quite nice inside. Its been done up quite well. They also do food but if things are going well and you fancy something better there is Luigis across the road.

White Hart has a good vibe but it can be quite hard to get seated. Its popular and there isn't much space. You can be seated quite close to other tables. The Mansion has much more space.

#9 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

The Crown & Greyhound in Dulwich Village is also nice as you could play it safe at first in the noisier seating area then, if it is going well, relocate to the back section for a bit more privacy! And the melting choccy pudding could be nice to share. Bon chance!

#10 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:09 PM

or you could see if she has a sense of humour and take her to the Bridgehouse Tavern on the borderlands of Penge. There is a rather uneven (er.....enthusiastic and often out of tune) live band there called Rock Hard Willy (snerk snerk). The beer is sometimes ok, the lighting bright, the chairs a bit uncomfortable...if you get along after all that, you've got a winner.

#11 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 07:34 PM

Don't forget about the fantastically named "Hollywood East" near Penge East station. Similar to the Bridge House Tavern, but looks much more cosey.

#12 anerleymartin

anerleymartin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:17 PM

I wonder how the date went....

#13 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:29 PM

I realise I am a bit late with this but there really is only one place for such an event and that is Joannas. They have a private booth where you can talk privately. It is of mahogany construction with a door you can shut and windows so you can see the rest of the restaurant whilst being absolutely private. It is as up market as CP gets and never fails to impress.

#14 Willy

Willy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 03:19 PM

The date hasn't happened yet, Saturday is the day.

#15 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 11:10 AM

I'm on the edge of my seat here! Please don't tell us where you're going (until you've been, of course) - I don't know that I could control the urge to just pop in (scanning for a nervous looking couple? the unmistakeable mist of new love? an empty table?). I can't resist a love story...

I'd have to agree with the Numidie or Joanna's options (although the private room - door closed - at Joanna's might be a little daunting to the blind datee) but wherever you choose Willy, good luck!