• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:00 PM

But would you want to live in the an area those two liked?
I felt it was unfair to Sydenham. Sydenham is used to describe a huge area. Where in Sydenham was the house they looked at? Lower Sydenham/Bell Green may not be as desirable as Crystal Palace, but I'd be more than happy to live in Upper Sydenham. Then there is the area of Upper Sydenham between Crystal Palace Park Road and Westwood Hill (Lawrie Park), which could be said to be more Crystal Palace (and desirable) than Central Hill.

#32 eyedropper

eyedropper

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

If anyone wants to see the clip in question you can watch in using 4oD, channel 4's on demand service. It's also on Homechoice channel 23, and virginmedia I think. It's the one featuring the opera singer and his boyf. . . . Hey, I wonder if they're reading this!??

My fave line. Kirsty: "I don't want to knock Crystal Palace but it's going to be hard to manage your expectations as you guys have been looking in Barcelona and Paris".

Edited by eyedropper, 01 March 2007 - 09:31 PM.

www.eyedropper.co.uk

#33 Russell

Russell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 08:38 PM

I love the view from cp of london but I did laugh at their shots.. How big was the zoom on their camera!?! it looked like the gerkin was in Dulwich.

Overall I thought it portrayed the palace very well and very honeslty.

#34 adrianx

adrianx

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

I watched the show and thought it was ok, but, Kirsty was incredibly dismissive about the Palace initially. Did you see the scene when they were sat in Pizza Express with the boys and Kirsty was opening her thoughts on the merits of looking at Crystal Palace and the horrific spasm her face contorted into after uttering the words Crystal Palace!! That said everything for me, of someone who has little idea of a place. She did warm slightly, but I felt it was staged for the show, I wonder if she has even been back to South London since?
People who live north of the river think civilization is a foreign concept South of the river. I mean, So what if there is going to be a train line going direct to Islington. I'm very happy with the direct link to Central London thank you very much. But, I guess it's a perception that South Londoners wil have to live with. Yes, we have a sparse tube network, but overland trains are good, but overland links are generally good everywhere if we're honest (apart from rush hours and Sundays!!)

Also, I've used the terms 'North' and 'South' quite losely, but obviously it's much more complicated than that, as there are places in South London I'd happily live in, and Places South of the river I'd never step foot in , I won't mention as I don't want to offend anyone.

But those Chaps didn't know there elbow from their a***hole, A sweet couple, but boy, did they need to attend a couple of decision making classes!! Good luck to them.

That's enough of my rant for today

With Love xx

#35 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:53 PM

There are some interesting comments about the programme on the Sydenham Town forum. Understandably it comes in for some hefty criticism for its portrayal of Sydenham but I thought the following statement was quite poignant...

The programme said Sydenham was great for a short-term investment but didn't talk about the magnificent housing stock, the friendly community, the local cultural events, the wonderful parks, view and walks. It concentrated only on the greasy spoons.

http://forum.sydenha...topic.php?t=952

European.vote - EU Referendum

#36 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

Yes but even people from Sydenham can find someone lower down the food chain to be spiteful about.....

"Yeah, it was disappointing, but I don't think Kirsty's to blame - she made it pretty clear she thought Sydenham was on the up. I just can't understand the extreme reactions from the couple on the programme - it's not Penge! "

Come on Penge - fight, fight, fight! :)
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#37 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:32 AM

On Saturday did anyone spot floods of newbie's wandering round the triangle looking at estate agents?

A Torre was busy and the White Hart was full... and I couldn't tell whether these were people who knew their Westow Hill from their Westow Street*....

*or some other elitist yet small bit of "local knowledge"
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#38 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:51 AM

I saw a couple of people with street maps on Sunday... :rolleyes:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#39 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

Penge has a lot more going for it . Firstly it has a working police station rather than community officers who I normally just see strolling through Sainsburys up the triangle! (You should patrol Gipsy Hill when its dark for best results )

Penge has a small market + many independantly run shops like butchers & bakers etc whats there not to like about Penge except the name I suppose .

Dazza

PS It also has a Woolworths which has useful stuff in it & correctly marked prices unlike ours in the triangle.
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#40 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 11:23 AM

I did not think her comments about the Palace were too bad. I think she was (rightly) p*ssed off with the boys as they could not make their mind but she seemed to be positive about the area.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#41 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 12:37 PM

As I'm not up with the modern technology of More4 etc, did anyone old-skool video the programme and may I borrow the tape, if so?

Gill

#42 eyedropper

eyedropper

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 05:29 PM

Those boys were a bit daft though, if they'd have taken Kirstie and Phil's advice and bought somewhere in sydenham or CP they'd have made money, no question. I thought the place they looked at in Sydenham was a lovely property... as was the CP one.

Also, could anybody work out what the other guy actually did, the non-opera singer one? Apart from travel round Europe with his boyf? Perhaps if he actually got a job they could afford somewhere more in keeping with their asperations. They were a nice couple but a bit... dizty.
www.eyedropper.co.uk

#43 Mingusohyeah

Mingusohyeah

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

He was his manager. Apparently he used to be a theatre director.

#44 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:12 AM

If they stuck to plan A and bought the first small property in Paris (they were lovely and a pad in London they’d have been richer by now!!!
I think he just did not know what he wanted (I mean the manager one), the opera singer was more down to earth and accommodating.
The manager dropped his job to spend more time with his bf and pursue his dream career as writer. All very very romantic, but .. honey … you’ve been living for 2 years without the second income jet-setting around the globe, if they bought one of the properties they could have rent it to tourists or else when they were not in Paris ….. ARGHHH!!!!
So frustrating, thank goodness he was not my bf or you’d have heard me screaming my head off at him!!!! GET REAL!!!!
Sorry, end of rant he he he he

Btw I LOVED the property in Fox Hill sooooooo niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#45 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 09:24 AM

I daydream of buying the Fox Hill flat then one day having enough to buy the flat below and convert it back into a house...