• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gravy

Gravy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:38 PM

I'm very much hoping someone can shed some light on what it was like for my ancestors to live in W. Norwood 1869–1940.

The Camplin family who were builders, lived in Clive Road, Hamilton Grove / Road and Rommany Road from the time they came into London to help with, what was then, the new housing development in the area.

I know my Grandfather, his sons and cousins all attended the Salters Hill School over the period 1895 to 1929 and I suppose several of their ancestors also attended the same school, but I don’t know where it was, or when it was built. I also suppose the fathers and young men often frequented the Bricklayers Arms, thought to have been built mid 1860’s. Does anyone know of other pubs close by?

The only stories that have been passed down to me are that one relative was chief engineer at Crystal Palace at some point and another Camplin owned a grocers shop 1908-1914, which I guess was in the High St. somewhere.

Other names that were linked through marriage were: Amory, Barrett, Carr, Coe, Cripps, Goatley, Golding, Kingdon, Kroll, Matthews, Walters, Watts, Williams, Woolhouse.

That's all I know and would dearly love to learn more by way of stories of events and celebrations, old photographs of the streets and housing, etc. Does anyone have an idea when the various roads acquired their new housing – I can see from Google Earth that several of the 1800’s houses are still standing today.

I have just a small handful of snaps, which I’d be very happy to share.

Edited by Gravy, 23 March 2007 - 06:06 PM.

#2 beef

beef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 02:20 PM

hi salters hill school is no longer called salters hill school it is called kingswood school same building different name its location is gipsy road bottom of salters hill right behind norwood park, there is still a sign made out of morter on the building sayin salters hill school ,there are two pubs called the bricklayers arms one is at the bottom of hamilton rd the other is down chapal road which is were gipsy rd stops, other pubs in the area are gipsy tavern, the two towers,the paxton which is no longer called the paxton all on gipsy road, hamilton, clive and rommany roads more or less connect to gipsy road try lambeth landmark web site for some great old photos of the area including the bricklayers arms pub , i knew a bloke who lived in clive road with the surname carr his name was tony age about 40 his dad was called vic not sure if thay still live there but my brother in law was related to them in some way surname fitsimmons ,hope this helps cheers

#3 Gravy

Gravy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 04:25 PM

Hello Beef, thank's for a brilliant response.

So, I've found the school where my Grandfather and his cousins went and found some great pictures on the Lambeth Landmark site. It looks as though my Gt Gt Grandfather helped build some quite nice houses - couldn't have been that bad as many are still standing!

Do you have any idea whether "West Norwood Central School" is still in existance and what it would be called now?

#4 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:10 AM

My wife's nan is 90 and has always lived in West Norwood (in the same house) and speaks a lot about the area and about there being a cinema where the auction house is now.....

West Norwood Library and Tate Library in Brixton might be useful sources of information, particularly the latter.

No idea about the Central School you describe...

Anecdotal history might be the most vivid and useful in some ways.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#5 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:54 AM

Hello, all, Does anyone know exactly the school at the bottom of Salter's hill changed it's name from Salter's hill School to (Norwood Park Junior and Infant School, as I went to that school when it was that name when I lived in Hamilton road, in one of the Prefabs, that is no longer there now, when I was about 4 years old, and I left that school in 1953 to attend Paxton primary School which was in one of the roads off Gypsy hill on the left as you go down from Central hill until 1958 when I left there to attend Kingsdale high school. Does anyone have any photos of Hamilton road with the prefabs back then in 1953, as I do not have enough memory to download Google earth I would be very much appreciated if anyone does, even though I have a photo of myself, along with my mother taken in the front garden of the prefab that we lived in at the time. Take care

Best Wishes,
Sylvia

#6 beef

beef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

hi sylvia, the school at the bottom of salters hill, corner of gipsy road changed its name from salters hill school to kingswood school.
to the other end of gipsy road was anther school, it was called gipsy road school, then changed its name to norwood park school.
tho the building still exsists norwood park school, does not all pupils went to a brand new built school at crown point.
i think the old norwood park school building, is going to be used as a tempory secondary school whilst an old school in elmcourt road gets redevleopd before moving to there

#7 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 05:17 AM

Hello, Beef,
On friendsriendsreunited.co.uk, I have Norwood Park junior and infant school, as my infant school, which it was called then, which is the school Down the bottom of Salter's hill, under the bridge, and on the left. I know the school closed down,but the school name was still kept on Friendsrunited.co.uk) because one of the team sent me an email telling me about closing the school down, but it's name will still be on the site, plus I have been in touch with other people, that went to the same School. Plus when I was in my young days around when I was eight years old, and my days in Paxton primary school I always spent time in Norwood park, plus i had a friend who lived in one of the houses over to the right of the school, and that was when I was going to Kingsdale. the reason that I know that is because I did not go to any other school in Gypsy road Another reason that I know is because my memory is ace one. Wasn't Gypsy road school between Salters hill and towards West Norwood, because my brother went there, as i also believe it was called Gypsy road girls School, and there was also I think a boy's school as well Another reason I kow is because i used to walk to kingsdale at times after picking up my friend Beth who lived in that house opposite that school to walk to Kingsdale which meant turning right into Gypsy road from Salter's hill toward Gipsy hill, as you know where Kingsdale high school was. If you do not mind me asking are you a paid registered member of Friendsreunited, because if you are go onto that Web page and search for a Sylvia Carol Law, and you will get my profile up. you take care, and look after yourself.

Best Wishes,
Sylvia

Edited by Sylvia, 09 April 2007 - 05:19 AM.

#8 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 06:00 AM

Hello, Beef,
I thought that I would just let you know that I just went onto my Friendsreunited.co.uk) web page which is my home page, and i looked up, the school once again called Norwood park Junior mixed and infant School, which I left in 1953, and I looked up all of the years on that school, and it went from 1942 until 2001. I have also juat emailed one of my best friends that went to Gypsy road girls school, and asked just where in Gypsy road was the school, as I know that my brother went to the same school as her, but to the boy's school as he left there in 1958 to go into the work force, because I started my first year at kingsdale in the same year in September after the school holidays, leaving Paxton primary school in the same year but in may. take Care once again.

Best Wishes,
sylvia

#9 beef

beef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 09:01 PM

hi sylvia, norwood park school and kingswood school were both on gipsy road ,kingswood scool was called salters hill school ,norwood park school was called gipsy road school, konw this cos i used to live on gipsy road, went to kingswood school,if you go to lambeth landmark web site the pictures and name changes
all the best

#10 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:09 AM

Hello, Beef,
I do have that web page, but i just went to the (FRIENDSREUNITED.CO.UK) and looked up that school once again, and I found a friend that left that same school in 1947, and I had a look at his profile, and he went to the same infant school as me, except on his profile he had it down as , kingswood junior mixed & Infant school, as wll as Norwood park Junior mixed & infant school. I only went there for a couple of years when i was living in hamilton road, when I was a little tot. my best friend lynda went to Norwood girls Seconday school. I will also check out that web page once again as I downloaded it a long time ago, and saved it to my favourites. Where abouts in Gyspy road did you actually live. I remember very well about the school because something very funny happened to me one of the days that I attended there which I can never ever. forget You take care. look after yourself,

best wishes,
sylvia

#11 kwib

kwib

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:07 AM

Hello Beef, thank's for a brilliant response.

So, I've found the school where my Grandfather and his cousins went and found some great pictures on the Lambeth Landmark site. It looks as though my Gt Gt Grandfather helped build some quite nice houses - couldn't have been that bad as many are still standing!

Do you have any idea whether "West Norwood Central School" is still in existance and what it would be called now?

West Norwood Central School closed at the end of the 50s but the building remains on Carnac Street and has been Elmwood Primary School (actually, they now call it Elm Wood rather than Elmwood) since that time. Prior to being West Norwood Central Mixed School, it was West Norwood Central Council Elementary School, and prior to that it was Carnac Street Council Elementary School (I think it was built around 1912)