Photo

Mediterranea

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (103 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (82 votes [79.61%])

Percentage of vote: 79.61%

2. Good (14 votes [13.59%])

Percentage of vote: 13.59%

3. Average (4 votes [3.88%])

Percentage of vote: 3.88%

4. Poor (3 votes [2.91%])

Percentage of vote: 2.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#271 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

As a regular of the place .... and after had few pizzas there since my last post (try the BIANCA .. is very good). Yesterday after some walking around the triangle, a failed attempt to find and buy a dining table (but I suffesfully purchased some cuttlery) we ended up (as usual) in Mediterranea .... oh dear it was AMAZING ... I had a gorgeous Vitel Tonnato as starter (that's veal with a tuna salsa ... it's better than it sounds and one of my favourite all time) and then I had this gorgeous lamb with mushrooms .... dear boy .... that was amazing .... I do like that place but the food was superb last night. I think i know where I am going to have the Wedding lunch ....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#272 Caradeuc

Caradeuc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

As a regular of the place .... and after had few pizzas there since my last post (try the BIANCA .. is very good). Yesterday after some walking around the triangle, a failed attempt to find and buy a dining table (but I suffesfully purchased some cuttlery) we ended up (as usual) in Mediterranea .... oh dear it was AMAZING ... I had a gorgeous Vitel Tonnato as starter (that's veal with a tuna salsa ... it's better than it sounds and one of my favourite all time) and then I had this gorgeous lamb with mushrooms .... dear boy .... that was amazing .... I do like that place but the food was superb last night. I think i know where I am going to have the Wedding lunch ....

Mediterranea is a cut above the rest in my opinion.

#273 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

.... I think i know where I am going to have the Wedding lunch ....

WEDDING!!!
Congrats to you and yours then?!!

#274 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:29 AM

ha ha thanks waiting for the legislation to go through first - so nothing before 2014 at least ....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#275 Clare M

Clare M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Mediterranea -  EXCELLENT FOOD! I am Italian and it really does taste like home cooking. The interior is reminiscent of an Italian beachfront cafe, spartan and empty. But it is the FOOD here that triumphs, delicious fresh tasty sea food and perfect pasta. A great place to eat in South London. Bravi ragazzi!

#276 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

Congratulations Efisio and family - you really deserve every success and thank you for sharing it with the community!

Here's a couple of my favourite photos from the Triangle Festival July 2009.

gallery_743_51_2739769.jpg

gallery_743_51_2012890.jpg

It is Mediterranea's 6th anniversary this weekend. How time flies. Congratulations Efisio and family. The food just gets better and better. 

#277 ptg23

ptg23

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:47 AM

Went here on the weekend and was really disapointed after all the gushing reviews on here.  Had beef carpaccio and the Scallop starters. Both were very tasty but the small portions didn't really justify the cost - £9 each.  For mains we had the pasta with sausage meat as were a lot of people in the restaurant. We were totally underwhelmed by this dish - not only was the portion small again it was just to basic a dish.  Perhaps the Pizza's are what you should eat here, or maybe the fish is a better bet. All I know is that for £60 for two we had a very average meal and I eneded up eating a bowl of cornflakes when I got home!

#278 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

Went here on the weekend and was really disapointed after all the gushing reviews on here.  Had beef carpaccio and the Scallop starters. Both were very tasty but the small portions didn't really justify the cost - £9 each.  For mains we had the pasta with sausage meat as were a lot of people in the restaurant. We were totally underwhelmed by this dish - not only was the portion small again it was just to basic a dish.  Perhaps the Pizza's are what you should eat here, or maybe the fish is a better bet. All I know is that for £60 for two we had a very average meal and I eneded up eating a bowl of cornflakes when I got home!

At last. I thought it was just me. I could never quite understand the gushing comments this place receives. I've been twice and was dissapointed on both occaissions. The cooking is OK, nothing special but the portions are very un-Italian. At the last visit, my wife asked wether she had been brought a starter as a main course.

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#279 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:05 AM

I've been heaps of times but have never found the portions to be measly here. However, I really dislike going to places where they heap food on your plate as I just get overwhelmed. I get full very easily so would rather have three courses of small - medium sized portions. Did you order sides? It's sometimes advisable to get a couple for the table, depending on what you are having. For me though - a starter, a main of fish and the cheese board is just about all I can manage.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#280 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

I've been heaps of times but have never found the portions to be measly here. However, I really dislike going to places where they heap food on your plate as I just get overwhelmed. I get full very easily so would rather have three courses of small - medium sized portions. Did you order sides? It's sometimes advisable to get a couple for the table, depending on what you are having. For me though - a starter, a main of fish and the cheese board is just about all I can manage.

One one occaission Mrs Fang had a Pasta main dish, I had fish. On the second visit I had a pasta main dish.  We were in no danger of being 'overwhelmed' by the quantity of food on either occaission. I also preffer sensible sized portions and, as I said, the standard of cooking was OK. But the lasting impression I have been left with was of the 'mean' portions. I do hear the Pizzas are good .

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#281 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

After living in the area since the late nineties I had never tried this restaurant so I decided to go off piste! I was not disappointed. Although the service was very slow (think everyone arrived at the same time expecting to be fed), the food was lovely and the house rose really great. The atmosphere was relaxed and although not so traditional Sardinian feel was still a nice environment. I had the clam spaghetti and the rosemary bread is amazing (like papadoms but v salty and loads of fresh rosemary). Definitely will be going back!