Photo

Mediterranea

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (103 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (82 votes [79.61%])

Percentage of vote: 79.61%

2. Good (14 votes [13.59%])

Percentage of vote: 13.59%

3. Average (4 votes [3.88%])

Percentage of vote: 3.88%

4. Poor (3 votes [2.91%])

Percentage of vote: 2.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:35 PM

I am hoping to go for Sunday lunch this week with a friend who is a real carnivore. Is there much meat on the menu?
aka Pie

#17 Rom

Rom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:13 PM

I am hoping to go for Sunday lunch this week with a friend who is a real carnivore. Is there much meat on the menu?

Sylvester - the menu changes a bit every few days as the focus is on seasonal food and what is available and fresh at the time, however there is always a good selection of meat on the menu - wild boar salami with fennel as a starter is outstanding and then they usually have grilled chicken and a mixed grill (lamb, chicken and pork was in my dish last Wednesday) as mains. Last time I went they had a fresh sausage pasta and Effizio's mum had made the pasta herself - it was literally outstanding. Am sure whatever is on offer your carnivore friend will be happy, however if your friend is adventurous and tries any of the fish they won't be disappointed - enjoy!

Edited by Rom, 17 April 2007 - 09:35 PM.

#18 tuggy

tuggy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 09:04 AM

I had to try this place after all the great reviews, and went last night. I pleased to say I was not disappointed! The food is outstanding, great value and service and explanation of the dishes superb. We were the only ones in there for much of the time but that didn't matter, the food was truly awesome. I tried the home-cured salmon and grilled aubergine - beautifully presented and delicious. My friend had the Bottarga - again, superb. For mains we had the monkfish and scallops and the trout, both of which were cooked to perfection. I will definitely be going back and might have to make it my favourite CP eatery! An excellent addition to the Triangle.

:)

#19 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:56 AM

Sylvester - the menu changes a bit every few days as the focus is on seasonal food and what is available and fresh at the time, ...

Thanks for this Rom, I will book a table today and look forward to a feast!

Edited by Sylvester, 18 April 2007 - 11:56 AM.

aka Pie

#20 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

I went today for lunch, taking my four year old daughter with me.

The food was great. We had the lunchtime specials - a bargain at 6.50 each. I had a Lebanese-style lamb kebab and my daughter had home-made pasta with tomato sauce (which was made just for her because she didn't like the more gastronomically adventurous sauce which was actually on the menu). The charming owner - Effizio, I guess - promised my daughter a free ice cream if she finished her pasta and didn't bat an eyelid when the greedy minx demanded vanilla and chocolate ice cream. My own pud of fresh raspberries, greek yogurt and honey was, as Kenny Everett used to say, the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

All in all, I thought it was lovely. The food was delicious and the service was attentive but not annoyingly in-your-face. Effizio is obviously working hard to impress and to build up his clientele and it's worked for me. I'd certainly go back.

#21 belli

belli

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:26 PM

I went last week with two friends for lunch. I had the Salmon with courgettes and tomatoes. Simple but delicious. Headgardener, I have to agree with you about the yoghurt dessert. Best one I've had in a long time.

I would definitely recommend Mediterrannea.

#22 joleapman

joleapman

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:10 AM

Hi all
Glad everyone has enjoyed Mediterranea. I knew it was brilliant and just hoped everyone else would think the same!

I'm hoping to go back really soon and treat my husband to its delights, but sadly have been really ill with massive flu for days on end. but I really can't wait to go back... esp after reading all these changes to the menu! maybe next week...

In the meantime, I'm going to vote for it in the Living South Awards. The April issue is inviting nominations for Best Newcomer, Best Overall Restaurant, Best Lunch and Best for Families. I'll certainly be voting for it in Best Newcomer. Still trying to work out who to vote for in the other categories. Possibly, Cafe Provencale in herne hill for best for families. The staff were fantastic with my 3 little ones last time we went there. But sounds like Mediterranea could be a winner with my children too, if your experience is anything to go by, HeadGardener. I'll have to try it!

If anyone else wants to do the same for Mediterranea.. you just, apparently, have to email LSrestaurantawards@archant.co.uk. The deadline is June 7. And apparently you don't have to vote in all categories if you don't want. It would be fantastic to see Effizio and their staff being rewarded for making a real difference to Crystal Palace's eateries!

Oh yeah... and if you enter, you automatically get entered into a prize draw to win a 100 hamper from roullier-white, in east dulwich!

#23 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:04 AM

As sorry as I was to see the A Torre Cafe go... I have to say Mediterranea is a very welcome addition to the area.

Mrs Uncle Wilf and I dropped by here yesterday evening.

The interior has been worked on very tastefully and comfortably.
The food was very good and well-priced. The grilled sea bass with bean casserole was excellent. Wild boar salami was also good and Capuccino Panna Cotta was also a pleasure.
Service was very good.

An emerging contender for one of the best restaurants in the area.

A short menu but with daily specials.... but what they do they do very, very well.

Well worth trying out and supporting. The owner is friendly and talkative and it's great to see a new business seemingly doing well.

Uncle Wilf seal of approval. :)
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#24 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:27 AM

surely not! i was in mediterranea that night too... in the presence of greatness and did not even notice!
i mentally built up this place so much ( thanks to you good people) that it didnt have a prayer!

and it was really very good... i dont do fish much but everything was beautifully delivered and the guys were
great fun too...

again soon definately

#25 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:41 AM

We went to Mediterranea for the first time last night. We had high expectations because of all the rave reviews on here and we were not disappointed. I'd already been out for lunch with work so was feeling guilty about eating out twice in one day! For this reason, we skipped on the starter, which was a shame as I really fancied the wild board salami. For mains, I had the sea bass and my other half had the ravioli. Both were delicious but the homemade ravioli was something rather special. This was followed by panna cotta for my partner and ricotta cheesecake for me.

We will definitely be returning, especially since I gather the menu changes regularly. I'd rather have a small menu that changes with the seasons than a really extensive menu that never gets updated. Restaurants work best when the chef concentrates on making a few dishes really well rather than spreading him/herself too thinly.

This place is a great addition to the triangle and it was good to see a restaurant that was buzzing during the week. I wasn't the only VNer in there last night - we bumped into Elmo and Ged while we were there :) .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#26 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:44 AM

I told you about the ravioli!

My mouth is watering just thinking about them yum yum !!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#27 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:04 AM

This place is a great addition to the triangle and it was good to see a restaurant that was buzzing during the week. I wasn't the only VNer in there last night - we bumped into Elmo and Ged while we were there :) .

Mediterranea - your friendly neighbourhood restaurant! :P
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#28 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 08:28 AM

how about an extraordinary vn get together - lets pack the place out one night to welcome them to the area!?

#29 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 23 April 2007 - 12:09 PM

Good idea! I went with friends on Sunday lunchtime and we were all most impressed, even the hard to please carnivore. I had the home cured salmon/aubergine starter, then the monkfish and scallops with Sicilian style cous cous, washed down with a light Sicilian white wine. Delish...
aka Pie

#30 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 04:55 PM

Been back there on Saturday (or Sunday?) cause I missed those raviolis yum yum - I understand that there will be another chef helping n the kitchen an Italian guy - had the pleasure to speak with both him and the owner when I was there .... let's wait and see

I really like that place and I will take there my neighbour tonight as she was kind enough to let me use her bath while I was without hot water .... a p

I welcome the idea to have a get together there as Virtual Norwood - let's have a plan of action

I think that depending on the number of people we might be able to get a set menu for a reasonable price and then drinks on us?

James any idea?

Edited by LSPE, 24 April 2007 - 04:57 PM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!