Photo

Mediterranea

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (103 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (82 votes [79.61%])

Percentage of vote: 79.61%

2. Good (14 votes [13.59%])

Percentage of vote: 13.59%

3. Average (4 votes [3.88%])

Percentage of vote: 3.88%

4. Poor (3 votes [2.91%])

Percentage of vote: 2.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 vickyp

vickyp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

I went there for the first time last night with the hubby (we really should have VN badges!) and we had a thoroughly enjoyable meal. The scicilian cous cous was absolutely delicious, need to find where I can buy it from!

The owner is very enthusiastic, which is fantastic. Can't wait until he gets his icecream maker! I'm very pleased that the restaurant has got off to a very good start, long may it continue!

#47 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 12:43 PM

I love the idea of wine and food tasting - would definitely go to an event like that. I think that some of the other restaurant owners could learn a lot from this new addition to the Triangle. It seems to be going down a storm and I think it's due to the combination of great service and a seasonal menu that has a handful of well chosen dishes. Who knew that ravioli in tomato sauce could taste so good?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#48 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 02:29 PM

Who knew that ravioli in tomato sauce could taste so good?

Gosh - miracle workers too!! :)

#49 palacemate

palacemate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:11 AM

So is this the restaurant next to the Portuguese - looking to go for birthday meal ..... flatmate said there was a fab new restaurant next to Portuguese but couldnt't remember the name .... sounds divine

#50 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 08:39 AM

Yes Palacemate, it is the one next to the Portuguese.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#51 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

we've been a couple of times now and absolutely love the place. The owner's name is Effizio (but we secretly refer to him as Enthusio, since he is just bursting with knowledge and love of food and food culture). I followed LSPE's recommendation and had the boar salami & fennel starter and ravioli for mains - it was a perfect combination. I also did a double whammy on starters one time and had the slighltly seared raw beef (think carpacio, but more robust) and bouillabaisse, which were both divine. He remembers his customers and what they like (LSPE he knows your orders, but didn't know you by name!).

#52 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 02:14 PM

Ha! this is so funny - last night we were in there for the second time and I couldn't decide what to have...Effizio told me that a customer had the carpaccio followed by the bouillabaisse and really enjoyed it (I was worried about the bouillabaisse being to heavy for a starter) - it must have been you!
I followed his advice and it was one of the nicest meals I have had. We had such a nice evening and got chatting with Effizio and the waitress for about an hour as we were the only people in there - great night out

#53 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

I am glad you enjoyed the ravioli and just thinking of ‘em my mouth si watering, I must pay another visit during the weekend
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#54 Rom

Rom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 04:52 PM

Dinner again last night. Super carpaccio and squid as starters and then crab tagliatelli for Mr O (nevers orders anything else now) and chicken with salad and lebanese bread for me. A super meal as always and had a good chat to Effizio (Couple of glasses of prosecco got us started I think) he is planning to put some canvases up on the walls to add to the plants which look great so expect more decoration.
What more can I say - we love this place

Edited by Rom, 23 May 2007 - 04:52 PM.

#55 OG_Mudboom

OG_Mudboom

• Pending Removal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:02 PM

...food was good here, and the service was attentive...however.....it lacks something, and I can't put my finger on it. Possibly owing to a little one, stretching his (or hers) vocal chords, all the way through my meal, I think it's more the paint scheme. It lacks ambience, imho. Still, good food, but it's not my favourite in CP. Good effort, B+. mudboom.

Just to append, I went to Mediterranea the other weekend, had a lamb sausage type thing. I prefer them cooked a little more, but that's personal preference. Either way it was nice. But I have a gripe with red onions in salads. And there were lots in it, which I had to pick out. Put a sign on your door saying: WARNING - We use red onions in our salad!

Edited by OG_Mudboom, 25 May 2007 - 09:06 PM.

Either they don't know, don't show...or just don't care what's going on in Norwood.

#56 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:36 PM

ive come to the conclusion that every restaurant and bar needs fairy lights!!! i know exactly what you mean about ambience... fairy lights and or candles seem to really warm up the place - obviously without causing fire!!! haha
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#57 edgar

edgar

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:51 AM

I visited Mediterranea the other evening and was pleased enough with the experience to make a return visit. That said, it's still in its 'teething' stage and needs a little more worn-in feel to take the chill out of the decor. It is a difficult, rectangular space and needs to be softened, where possible, with whites and warmer colours. Little things, such as white candles rather than blue on the table (I always think that strong colour is best away from food), and twinkle's fairy lights to blur sharp room corners etc. I was delighted, however, to have linen napkins and think that linen tablecloths would do so, so much to help the ambience and take away some of the rather rigid geometry of the space. These are little (and relatively inexpensive) details that mean so much to me!

As to the food: Delighted to see that the menu is short and changing (beware the large, rambling menu). I had the wild boar salami with roasted fennel (excellent) and my companion had the Greek salad (too bitty, essential that something as simple - and as good - as a Greek salad remain in a recognisable 'component' state. I also had the feeling it had been 'prepped' - again too simple a dish to prep.). Main courses, both fish, and I think a more subtle balancing act is required between the ingredients. Puddings (we shared the cheese) sounded superb (Fresh raspberries, Greek yoghurt, toasted almonds and Greek honey - sublime!).

I spoke with Effizio (charming, and deserves to have a big success with the place) and outlined some of the above. There is so much that is right about this place (not least, his passison and commitment to quality) that the above will only enhance (I hope) the potential of his product. I wish him the very best, and I encourage everyone to visit. I certainly think we should all take advantage of the lunchtime deals sometime.

A welcome addition to the Triangle.

#58 tiamaria

tiamaria

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 June 2007 - 07:23 PM

We went last month with a friend who was visiting from abroad and had the best meal out in a long time..... & im sure im not bias by the fact we know the owner (our former neighbour!) The wild boar salami was brilliant and the monkfish was outstanding...the best thing about this restaurant is that the dishes offered are all quite different to those offered in standard italian restaurants (ie no pizza and pasta!) yet not too fancy, still based around classic popular choices. Everything was great quality, fantastic service and very reasonably priced (£70 for 3 adults with 2 bottles of wine!) There are lots of choices too for vegetarians. There is also lots of fish, which i love, but perhaps a few more meat options would be an idea though Effizio for non fish eaters? We will be certainly going back and I hope you do too! A fantastic family, fantastic restaurant!

#59 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:43 AM

Went last night and had a fantastic meal. Would recommend it to anyone.
Nick, Forum Moderator

#60 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:47 PM

Going there tonight as a father's day treat for my dad based on the reviews here.

Will post what I think later :)