Photo

Mediterranea

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (103 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (82 votes [79.61%])

Percentage of vote: 79.61%

2. Good (14 votes [13.59%])

Percentage of vote: 13.59%

3. Average (4 votes [3.88%])

Percentage of vote: 3.88%

4. Poor (3 votes [2.91%])

Percentage of vote: 2.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 palacemate

palacemate

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:12 AM

had a great meal at Mediterranea in May for birthday - great food - nice staff - friendly and relaxed environment - highly recommended.

#62 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:41 PM

There is also lots of fish, which i love, but perhaps a few more meat options would be an idea though Effizio for non fish eaters?

I have really enjoyed both my visits to Mediterannea and for me, the restaurant's unique selling point is a limited menu which concentrates on FRESH FISH dishes rather than meat. Mediterranea has reawakened my fish taste buds - a forgotten pleasure indeed because for many restaurants you just can not rely on the fish being fresh or the meat for that matter because the menus are so extensive it would just not be feasible.

It was very reassuring to be told that the sardines had run out. More fish less meat that's what I say - building reputation on fresh seasonal ingredients.

#63 Frankie

Frankie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:49 PM

We went there for the first time yesterday for lunch and thought it was great. We can't wait to go back in the evening to try some of the fish. Definitely recommend it!

#64 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

Going there tonight as a father's day treat for my dad based on the reviews here.

Will post what I think later :)

Forgot to come back here! Must start visiting more often.

The food was fantastic, unfortunatel the atmostphere was a little lacking. The place was empty :(

Although I guess it would be because we went early on a sunday evening.

#65 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:37 PM

It's not usually empty so I think it's just the fact you went early on a Sunday. I've never seen it completely full but most times we've been it's been quite busy. We've been several times now and love the food and service. I think it's about time they changed the menu though as between us we've tried most of it now :) .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#66 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

Confirmed as my favourite spot!

I went with 2 friends on Friday after the Grand Prix (Athletics) and it was very very nice indeed!

I had some sardins as starter (very nice and tasty) and above all some gorgeous salmon and swordfish kebab very nice indeed.

I did not order the Ravioli but my mates did so I nicked one from their plate!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#67 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:09 PM

I passed by Mediterranea today and stopped to have a chat with the guy, he said there is a "food and wine experience" tomorrow from 7.30pm, I have seen the menu and .... I am going!!! yum

Call them if you need further info
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#68 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

Is it invite only or can anyone show up do you know?

I've also been invited to the Beer Festival at Earl's Court but might be swayed by the wine night if it's open to all.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#69 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

the notice is on the main window so I assume is for everyone - but I'd call if I were in you
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#70 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

Okay, thanks for that.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#71 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 04:15 PM

has anyone gone to teh event on Wednesday? I was stuck at work
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#72 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:18 PM

I have just saw this on TIME OUT re this restaurant

http://www.timeout.c...iews/10704.html

..also if you go there next and you are not vegetarian try one of the beef starters it's fab!!

Also there is a new beer coming soon (prob in few weeks so hold on your guns) it's an Italian beer with no preservatives (so has a short expiring date) and it's soooo refreshing ... I had a "preview" last night when we went and it's really nice!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#73 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:36 AM

Great review - don't much fancy the casu marzu though! :o

Edited by gekko, 14 September 2007 - 12:33 PM.

Mel, Forum Moderator

#74 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:22 AM

never been keen on that - every region in Italy produces (or at least used to) produce them but thankfully we've never been keen on those in my family.

Though I looooooooooove gorgonzola (above all the sweet one, melt in cream with gnocchi ... yum yum) ....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#75 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:59 AM

We had some old friends visiting on Saturday and unusually we decided to book a table rather than turn up on the spot. Well, we were really glad we did as it was absolutely packed to the extent that people were even queing for tables.

The food and service were fantastic. It was great not to have to eat meat. We went specially for the FRESH seafood and were pleased to see that the menu has expanded slightly. There was a great choice. We ate a range of dishes - baked sardines, a decent sized dish of mussels in a white wine and chilli broth (to die for if you are a mussel fan) , grilled swordfish, the usual scallops and monkfish skewers and crab tagliatelle, sea bream and the last of the grilled king prawns and I almost forgot - octopus. The evening was perfect and our friends were very complimentary. A great time was had by all.

This restaurant really does deserve all the praise it is getting.

PS Has anyone tried the calamari here?

Edited by charlie, 17 September 2007 - 10:02 AM.