Photo

Viva Goa

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (3 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Good (5 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Average (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

4. Poor (5 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:33 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Viva Goa
24 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1RX
Open Tuesday to Sunday 12pm-2.30pm, 6pm-11pm
Open Monday 6pm-11pm

Web: www.vivagoa.co.uk
Email: not available
Phone: 0871 811 1429

#2 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:37 AM

One benefit of a number of places bieng closed last night after the fioreworks was that we ventured into Viva Goa - never really noticed it before, but food was really good and very reasonable. Would definitely go back

#3 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:19 AM

We love Viva Goa. Never eaten in but the take-away is lovely and people often say places make less effort with take-away versions (not sure how but that's what's said). Would heartily recommend this place - twice (so far) I have seen people peering in and reading the menu so I've stuck my oar in with a glowing recommendation and watched them go in. I might ask for shares.

#4 flower

flower

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:10 PM

My review posted a week a go was perhaps a little strong and a little too Gordon Ramsey for the moderator.
The quality of this food in disguise is the worst take away I have ever had. Do no put up with this rubbish!

#5 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

Moderator's Note
Flower, as previously advised by PM your review was removed because it didn't follow our guidelines

European.vote - EU Referendum

#6 JAM

JAM

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:47 PM

I think the chef may have changed becuase the food used to be really good but the last time I ate there it had really gone downhill - some of it verging on inedible. Shame
JAM

#7 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:25 PM

Bah. This place is marvellous. I went in tonight for a take-away and was going to go home then send Mr Spoon out to collect when it was ready but I got chatting (have been to Goa and the waiter and the owner were in and up for a chat so I waited for the food instead). They are closing on 18th February for a refurb. The lot - raising the ceiling, moving the bar to the back, modernising the whole interior. But the kitchen is staying open so they'll be at the end of the phone and delivering. Easter Monday is the planned relaunch. Get in while you can, we've never had a bad experience.

#8 J B

J B

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:22 AM

Got a take away from there on Saturday night. Never again!!
www.londonorthotics.co.uk

#9 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:02 PM

Interesting thread going here, seems people either love or hate Viva Goa.

Do they use marmite? :P

#10 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:30 PM

As regular takeaway purchasers, i got invited to their 'opening' night tonight since revamp. Myself and the lovely Mrs. COYI attended and were treated to canapes, curry, pudding and as much wine and beer as you wanted...in fact they were chucking it down your throat. All accompanied by a great guitar duo.

The food was fantastic, especially the squid curry.

All for the princely sum of 0.00

Rip off London? Pah!

Give it a go, the refit is fantastic, staff really friendly and the food amazing.

#11 Reubydoo

Reubydoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

As someone of Goan extract, I can vouch for Viva Goa and I can tell you that it produces excellent food, all with the correct spicing and the way my grandmother used to make! I am quite astonished that there are some who have had bad experiences with the take-away service as this has always been excellent and the most reliable I've ever used. The food is not your bog standard Ruby and is of a far superior standard to the other Indian restaurants in the area or indeed any area come to that!

The Hammers supporter has got it spot on - give it a go. It's the only authentic Goan restaurant I've been to in this country. Even my Dad agreed, and he's a miserable git.

#12 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:02 AM

Reubydoo, I love your post almost as much as I love Viva Goa.

#13 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 07:57 PM

Reubydoo, I think that the problem is that some people become used to bog standard, run of the mill, british takes on an Indian meal, and wouldn't know a decent curry if they fell over it.

Having said that, although we used to love the food at VG, we ate there again once, shortly after its refurb and were surprised to find ourselves a little disappointed. The chicken I had was tough and over-cooked, which was a surprise as the food we had had there previously was wonderful, especially the garlic daal and the chicken vindaloo - not ridiculously hot as some curry houses make it, but rich, tomatoey and tangy (mmm...mmm...mmmm). I am hoping we had a rare off night, or maybe the usual chef was away. We are aiming to go back soon and see if it is as good as it used to be.

Edited by James, 06 August 2008 - 09:48 PM.
Removed unnecessary quoted reply

#14 monkeyjoe

monkeyjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 11:37 AM

As regular takeaway purchasers, i got invited to their 'opening' night tonight since revamp. Myself and the lovely Mrs. COYI attended and were treated to canapes, curry, pudding and as much wine and beer as you wanted...in fact they were chucking it down your throat. All accompanied by a great guitar duo.

The food was fantastic, especially the squid curry.

All for the princely sum of 0.00

Rip off London? Pah!

Give it a go, the refit is fantastic, staff really friendly and the food amazing.

We were also lucky enough to attend this re-opening event, and wholeheartedly agree with everything said above. It was a cracking night and all for free. Since then, we've still regularly had our takeaway curry nights at home and tried to take as many friends to the restaurant for dinner as possible. Unfortunately, whilst the food is still spectacular (my vote goes to the paneer makhani) and the decor looks a lot 'fresher', the restaurant is never as full as it should be. I don't know why it isn't more popular - perhaps its position is too far down the street? Who knows, but you should definitely give it a go. We've tried other curry houses in the area, but keep returning to this one for good reason!
MonkeyJoe
Moove2London

#15 Reubydoo

Reubydoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 02:07 PM

We were also lucky enough to attend this re-opening event, and wholeheartedly agree with everything said above. It was a cracking night and all for free. Since then, we've still regularly had our takeaway curry nights at home and tried to take as many friends to the restaurant for dinner as possible. Unfortunately, whilst the food is still spectacular (my vote goes to the paneer makhani) and the decor looks a lot 'fresher', the restaurant is never as full as it should be. I don't know why it isn't more popular - perhaps its position is too far down the street? Who knows, but you should definitely give it a go. We've tried other curry houses in the area, but keep returning to this one for good reason!

Thanks for these comments, monkeyjoe, because I've been meaning to say the same things for a long, long time now but didn't want to be seen as an out-and-out flag waver for the lovely guys at Viva Goa. As it is, Frank (one of the owners) told me recently that he's looking to promote special nights there, ptobably on a Thursday because the restaurant really does deserve more customers (in my opinion, not his). He wasn't able to promote this year's World Goa Day dinner because of a very busy summer schedule (holidays etc) but the food was again spectacular and a steal at the price and I got to meet the new-ish chef (I think his name is Andrew but it was nearing the end of the night and I was 'tired') who has previously worked at the Fort Aguada Hotel in Goa - one of the premier five star resort hotels there. Anyone who goes should try and stick to the authentic Goan dishes IMHO, which are not available anywhere else in the UK unless your Mum is Goan - mine is but I have to go to Tuscany for one of her sorpotel curries. Viva Goa is nearer and better (but I won't be telling her that in a hurry....). I can see why people like Palace Spice and Viva Goa deserves the same level of loyalty from its punters - go on, let Frank, Paul and Alex spoil you with their fantastic Goan hospitality!!