• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:24 PM

I've just been in to Little Yellow Bird and Tracey told me that they are closing today! The beauty salon upstairs will remain but the shop will no longer be there.

Not only that but Concorde Stationers are next apparently!

Anyway I hope people will join me in wishing Tracey and Veronica all the best with whatever they decide to do in the future.

#2 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

Oh no I loved that shop! Got loads of Christmas / birthday presents in there for people. That's a real shame. It's quite worrying as this type of shop should in theory have been successful as it 's target market fits in with the areas changing profile.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#3 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:03 PM

What a shame - they were pretty despondent at Christmas so it doesn't come as too much of a surprise but Concorde too- that would be a real blow.

#4 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:38 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#5 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

its such a quirky little building - i do hope they can attract a small gifty shop into the area.... it saved me so many times of hopping in the car to get a present..... please dont turn it into a mobile phone shop or some 1 shop....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#6 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

Ouch. That really sucks. Just the sort of shop we need to keep as it makes gives the area individuality.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#7 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:29 PM

Is it me or is the triangle becoming quite desolate, how many other shops are going to close??

#8 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:40 PM

fully agree with Gekko

probably is time to revive a campaign to revert from the one way traffic?

or anything similar ...
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#9 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

My wife left a bracelet with them to see if it could be mended. Does anyone know how to get in contact with them?

#10 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

I hear that the high rent was finally too much for them and they will run a stall at Portobello Road instead. If this is so, high rents seem to be totally destroying the Triangle.
The beauty place upstairs is apparently to take over the ground floor too, so hopefully it won't end up empty like so many other places have.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#11 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:21 PM

Agreed. I've heard the high rents problem closing several businesses on the triangle down... I think a lot of the freeholds are held by a small number of people who are looking to increase profits and they seem to be waiting for the big chains to move in and pay what they consider to be the going rate. Fair enough I suppose as it's business, but it's blummin' awful for the people who live round here with shops that we use closing before our eyes. <_<

Are restaurants and busy bars best placed to generate serious revenue and pay the rent?

I'm only speculating, and I'm sure Silver and the other traders can put me right.... :unsure:

Edited by Elmo, 29 March 2007 - 07:22 PM.

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#12 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

I have been talking to Little Y.B. and trust me the one-way has been the primary factor in their business problems (as it was by the way with Mac D's). I do not know if Concorde are thinking of leaving but I do know that the one-way has hit them hard. I wish people would finally accept this and stop looking for other factors to blame it on. I do realise that high rent increases are responsible for some closures but to be honest many of those affected would have stuck it out if it had not been for the dreadful one way. Don't think that large restaurants will not be affected either.

My feeling is that even the council have finally realised how we are all suffering at their hands. The Conservatives councillors are at least are trying to do something to help. If you look back at the one-way thread you will see that people have been in denial for a very long time with talk of gentrification . I would hope that they are starting to see that we were not just scaremongering.

It is not too late to contact the council and register your fears re one-way. The more ammunition our local councillors have the better. They still have to persuade their superiors to help us. if not with a reversal to two way, maybe a car park. OUr local Conservative councillor is George Filbey and the local Labour councillor is Pat Ryan. (both Croydon)

Edited by Silver, 29 March 2007 - 07:37 PM.

#13 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:56 AM

I know there is a general problem with high rent and I disagree that the one way system is the only factor that afected their businesses, though it did not help

The Evening Standard is running a petition to save local shops - there was an article recently about Portobello Rd and how few freholders have boosted the rents to get chains in and people are all FED UP with it as OUR local roads are losing their character for the sake of few bucks

Prob we should kick some back sides and get our acts together

I am far from being a revolutionary but this nonsense of mass production and mass retail is getting on my nerves

End of rant
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#14 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:57 AM

Sorry to hear another small business is going.

Particularly troubling also to hear the suggestion that Concorde Stationers is considering its options....

Changes are inevitable over time of course but the current trend is not inevitable if the Council is prepared to listen.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#15 JulesF

JulesF

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 07:57 AM

There was a mention in the last edition of The Palace magazine (think it was in the Upper Norwood ward column written by one of the Conservative councillors) that they are indeed looking at the following:
  • introducing additional parking along Westow Hill itself (one wheel on the pavement parking I believe)
  • reviewing whether some of the one way system could revert back to two way
It may be worth people continuing to hassle the councillors over these issues, just to ensure it doesn't fall off their radar!