29 replies to this topic

#16 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:14 AM

Too little too late ! The damage has been done .

What is extra parking going to achieve if there are no shops to go to ?

If I remember a recent poll on this forum most members voted in favour of the 1 way after its introduction.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#17 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 12:47 PM

Talking of closures

I notice the furniture shop in West Norwood is closing down, that's another huge premises empty, and its right opposite the Co-op as well,
WN is starting to look quite sorry for itself with all the closed shops

#18 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

Another four to go soon. I suppose the one-way has regenerated the area so well that traders can all afford to retire!!!

#19 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 10:50 PM

What are the four?
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#20 DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:25 AM

Correction - Concorde are not closing but moving across the road. Hurray!

#21 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:33 PM

Sorry Elmo but I can't say at this stage. Concorde was not one of them. Thinking about it however, I think it may well be five. :huh:

#22 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:37 AM

Been to the little bird and bought some stuff over the week-end bit sad but I had a great bath!

I personally think that the closure of these shops in the area cannot be narrowed to one cause only, surely the one way system has influenced the area, but also the business models and high rents have not helped.

I think we will se a change of shape and businesses in the Triangle and I hope for the best, changes are not always bad but we have to stand up for what we want as neighbours …

Re the little yellow bird, yes it was a lovely shop but I have probably shopped there 3 or 4 times over 4 years because I tend to do most of my shopping in town because it’s cheaper.

Let’s face it I bought some stuff in the triangle recently and prices were on average 5/10% higher than in town, obviously I am doing as much as I can to support the local business but at the end of the month my balance cannot be affected too much! We have had increase in gas bills, water bills, electricity, council taxes and travel cards …… something’s got to give unfortunately.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#23 Highview

Highview

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:12 AM

Hi,
Does anyone know what the story/update is with Little Yellow Bird? I know that Tracey's no longer there but the front part of the shop is still in business? Is it here to stay?
Thanks,
Highview.

#24 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

I have read that there is is to be an extra 14 temporary parking spaces in the triangle. I bet that will turn around the fortunes of the triangle traders.

14 extra customers how will they handle the rush of the extra custom. Our councillors are woth every penny we pay them !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#25 Highview

Highview

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

And how many will be marked for Disabled and left empty most of the times?

Edited by James, 08 June 2007 - 12:20 AM.
Removed Unnecessary Quoted Reply

#26 DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 02:47 PM

Hi,
Does anyone know what the story/update is with Little Yellow Bird? I know that Tracey's no longer there but the front part of the shop is still in business? Is it here to stay?
Thanks,
Highview.

No. I feel a bit stupid for spreading misinformation now!

#27 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:19 AM

"And how many will be marked for Disabled and left empty most of the times?
"

I hope there are no disabled people who read these pages.

Edited by geronimo, 15 June 2007 - 07:23 AM.

#28 Highview

Highview

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:30 AM

Hi Geronimo,
My comment about the empty bays on the High Street wasn't meant to cause offense to anyone. If it has in anyway then I apologise.
Highview.

#29 ramadeo

ramadeo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:42 PM

I've been living in Crystal Palace for about 3 years now (first on Westow Hill now on Becondale Road) - so I only know the one way system.

How could that have done so much damage to shops? People can still shop can't they? Why was it originally changed to one way?

I've heard that we are getting a Nandos and Zizzi's - is this true?

I am okay with nice places coming - even if it must be a chain ... but am NOT happy if we get ugly little shops or more gaming/gambling places - can we put a curb on these ugly, smoky, grimy institutions?

I think we need a good butcher! (and cheese monger - I love the new Blackbird Bakery!)

#30 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

We already have a cheesemonger. There's a stall outside Haynes Lane market every Saturday. The cheese is great and there's always a queue of people.
Mel, Forum Moderator