• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#76 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

I agree about the missed opportunity. I would have LOVED the chance of a decent coffee when i was commutin' (now I'm freelance I can enjoy a delicious cup or two in Bruschetta or St Germain :D ). I did speak to someone at Blue Mountain a while back, and they said they thought their location on the 'wrong' side of the road and behind the metal traffic fence put some people off - but that wouldn't have stopped me in my caffeine-crazed tracks of a morning. There was a cute-looking caff in the same place before, and they didn't open when they had a captive market either. I don't get it!

#77 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

Definitely a missed opportunity not to open on a Sunday too - I've been to the East Dulwich one on a Sunday and it was packed full!

#78 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

They need to see this feedback before they close down.

#79 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

Passed there this morning to grab a "latte" on the way to work and interior looks much improved - more food-related items and nice decor and no flowers (not sure if they managed to sell any) - also it looked brighter and more spacious (think they moved some furniture around).

really a shame if they will close but let's hope not!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#80 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

That is good news. I liked the flowers, but somehow they made me feel a bit embarrassed - I think because a) I never bought any, and b ) it was sweet they wanted to bring a bit of Dulwich whimsy to Gipsy Hill but it kind of misjudged the market. More food and a brighter interior, now that sounds much more the thing. Good luck to em.

#81 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

Just to say I noticed a sign saying closed until further notice...

#82 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:56 AM

Oh no. I must say, I had five minutes to wait for my train the other morning so I went over there but they only had one person serving and she was already busy so I couldn't wait. I had every good intention but I ended up going to the station cafe where they usually have three people on and you rarely wait more than 20 seconds. Maybe the coffee isn't as good but time is of the essence in the morning, especially when the very fact you're in there is because you were rushing and didn't have time to put the kettle on at home...

They couldn't really have two people behind the counter on the off chance I'd turn up at Blue Mountain so I don't know what the solution is.

#83 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:31 PM

Maybe their credit has been crunched :( Shame if it has. Wrong side of the hill for me, but I did grab one of their lovely muffins whenever we were passing.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#84 peedee

peedee

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:07 PM

It's sad if so. It seems location really is all. People just won 't cross the road when they are headed for the station. And I wonder if Sergio's is finding the same thing at the Post Office opposite the busy bus stop. Though I have played Coffee Chicken a couple of times there....

#85 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

I agree the location wasn't perfect but I don't think they have made the most effort to be successful to be honest. Once or twice, when they first opened I left home early with my partner so we could have a sit down coffee/croissant in the mornings. But recently they haven't been opening much before 8am.

They sold delicious cakes and I loved their range of pies, which would be perfect to grab on the way home on nights when I couldn't be bothered to cook. However, it was always shut before I got home so I couldn't.

It also never opened on a Sunday. Most Sundays I pass the BMC on my way up to the triangle for Breakfast and would have loved to be able to go there sometimes rather than trekking up the hill.

I would have loved them to open up on the Gipsy Road parade of shops but I don't think it would be much busier there either.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#86 Kurt

Kurt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

I wonder if they will close it alltogether. What a shame. I feel partly responsible though - I come past it every day but I've never been in. Main reason is that in the morning I'm running for my train and in the evening I want to get home (and they're closed).

If the yummy mummys in the area had matronised it more, things could have worked out differently for the Blue Mountain Cafe. Another nail in the coffin for the Gipsy Hill shops.

#87 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

Is it closed for good now? Dropped by this morning at 09:30'ish, but shutters down and closed sign up.

#88 kate06300

kate06300

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

Hi everyone, it's my first time posting on here! I've been living in CP for a year and a half and use Gipsy Hill BR every day. I thought that Blue Mountain was a great little place, lovely interior, great coffee and food etc., but I agree - was rather frustrating that it didn't seem to open until after 8am and that service could be a bit slow. I did think the potential was there for it to work well as the coffee and pastries were better quality than at the Sunrise, but people will only go out of their way and cross the road for their coffee if you give them a good reason to!

I actually sent them an email about 6 months ago having noticed that they never seemed very busy, and made a couple of friendly suggestions (I'm a marketeer so couldn't help it), such as opening on a Sunday, and running a loyalty card system to encourage repeat business but got a rather curt reply back to the effect that they had already considered these ideas and they were 'being planned'. I was sad to see the place close but sadder that not enough effort seemed to be made to make it a success!