Photo

What's the bus service into central London like, X68, 68?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Meg

Meg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

Hullo,

I'm planning on buying in West, Upper or South Norwood and was hoping to cut costs by getting the bus into work. The X68 sounded promising - how long does it take and is it pretty reliable? Does it get over-crowded?

Thanks!

#2 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:46 PM

Hiya Meg,
Journey Planner on the tfl website is good for things like this.

http://journeyplanne...ST2?language=en

Type in the road/postcode where you want to start/end your journey and limit trips to bus services only (using the tickboxes) and voila!

For example, if I were to get the bus from my house to Charing Cross in Central London I could get the 432 to Brixton Polive station, changing for the 159 towards Marble Arch. Journey time 1hour 15 mins.

The X68 takes about 40 mins to go from W. Norwood station to Aldwych

HTH
:)

#3 skigirl

skigirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

Hi Meg

Depending on the time of journey the X68 is pretty good - there are a few regulars on this forum!

I get the bus in the mornings about 7.10 on Beulah Hill, Upper Norwood. It typically takes half an hour into Waterloo, 40 mins to Russell Square. It's pretty reliable. They have been getting quite full recently, the last couple of stops may have to stand. And of course only 1 each way! The frequency is every 15 mins and they have got better at sticking to their timetable, although I think they've had a few new drivers recently who haven't quite the hang of this whole timetable/express thing

Coming back may take 5-10 mins longer.

The buses tend to travel though Brixton which is good as its quicker.

Edited by skigirl, 18 April 2007 - 01:54 PM.

#4 katb

katb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:35 PM

The 68 is ok, but is being slowed down at the moment by the mega roadworks on Walworth Road...

#5 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:02 PM

Depending on where you buy/work the # 3 also gives a direct regular route into the west end - about an hour 15 minutes during rush hour CP to Oxford Circus - less than an hour off-peak. Or course a bicycle is even cheaper, and faster B)

#6 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

X68 normally pretty good, suffered a bit when current operator won the contract in April 2006... may have picked up again. Good also that they go through Brixton as much quicker. And it also feels quite subversive going off the other route, which of course its not. But you have to have some imagination sometimes to brighten up the Monday-Friday routine.

68s again ok but same as above.

But Katb speaks wisdom - the Walworth Road is best avoided at the moment as the roadworks which will last until the end of this year are making it very slow in rush hour.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#7 Meg

Meg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:35 AM

Thanks everyone, that's really useful, getting in by bus sounds feasible and not too painful! Would love to bike it, but can't see myself cycling in the winter if it's really wet or icy... :)

#8 JMH

JMH

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

Our office has recently moved and as it's not too far from Waterloo I'm considering giving the X68 a go.  Does anyone know what the service is like these days please?  I'd be catching it from Beulah Spa around 8am hopefully.

#9 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:51 PM

I took the bus from the start of the X68 route (Russell Sq), which came on time all the way to Croydon (loved it until I got to West Norwood).  From West Norwood it seemed to stop at every bus stop to drop/pick passengers up.

If you're going from Beaulah Hill, I think you'll be ok. The 68s seem to be very regular (judging by the amount of 68s that overtook the X68).

By the way X68 (via Brixton) takes a different route than the normal 68 (via Camberwell).

Edited by Darcy, 08 October 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#10 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:13 PM

Our office has recently moved and as it's not too far from Waterloo I'm considering giving the X68 a go.  Does anyone know what the service is like these days please?  I'd be catching it from Beulah Spa around 8am hopefully.

The X68 still runs every 15 minutes, with the last one leaving West Croydon around 8.30. Journey time to Waterloo varies depending on traffic but expect it to be between 45-60 mins from Beulah Spa. It's great - as long as you get a seat. I tend to travel a bit earlier (7.15-7.45) but when it gets to Beulah Spa you aren't always guaranteed a seat. Probably a better chance around 8am. Give it a go for a week or so and see how you get on. The best part is the cost - £1.40 each way on an Oyster card.

#11 JMH

JMH

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

Thanks Darcy and Joker.  I tried it out yesterday and the journey there was great. The journey home though - very packed.  To be expected I suspose and as you say a bargain at £1.40 each way.  Not sure I want to regularly stand for 50mins on the way home though :ph34r: