9 replies to this topic

#1 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:36 PM

Hi

In an attempt to keep my parents busy when they come to visit me next time (again), I was planning to dump them ehhrmm I mean offer them an English course for a couple of weeks.

I think there is a school that teaches English to foreign students somewhere in Crystal Palace but I am not aware of their quality, courses, name etc etc any help?

Thanks

p.s. alternatively I was thinking to have an English teacher to come around for private lessons but I think this may be too expensive - however any suggestion is welcome.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#2 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 09:39 AM

This is all I could find in CP:

ELT English Language Tuition
1 Childs Lane, Crystal Palace
London SE19 3RZ…..Tel: 020 8771 4611
Email: info@eltlondon.com

ps out of interest, what nationality are your parents? :)
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#3 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:37 PM

Italians
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#4 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:15 PM

Cool (I'm a qualified (BA, MA) Italian/French/Spanish to English translator, hence my interest). Hope you find what you're looking for. Might be nice to arrange something in the city to make more of an adventure of it for them, but I suppose then the prices start to creep up...
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#5 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:40 PM

They come here 2/3 times a year for circa 10 days each time and they travel a lot in london (I think they've seen more than I have)

Just to keep them busy above all cause they are trying to improve their English (it's never too late)

L
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#6 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:19 PM

LSPE, there is a language school on Church Road, in one of the big houses a bit further past the big yellow hotel. It's a good one and i believe they also do one to one, or one to two as is your case.
As an Italian, which is your preferred option on the triangle ? There was a group of Italian students who last year attended the language school i mentioned whose favourite was without doubt Il Ponte !
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#7 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:33 AM

I am going to be shot if I make some bad comments here ... of course we are all Italians and we fit the stereotypes of mafia, spaghetti and latin lovers ... NOT!

Let's put background here before I make any comment:

I have passed the students' age by a couple of decades hence my taste may be different from theirs
I am a wicked cook (blows his own trumpets) so I am not a keen restaurants-goer (above all Italian restaurants)

Said that, in the triangle:

I loved the ravioli that I had at Mediterranea (I'll get back there this saturday)
The cappuccino at La Bruschetta

I went to Il Ponte once and had a pizza, it tasted good but I felt totally bloated after dinner so I have to get back there; my partner had some pasta but it wasn't making the headlines.

Of course my homemade lasagne and freshly made pasta with homemade pesto is way much better. Mamma taught me to make them so it must be the best you can get.

I am very modest .... obviosuly

I thought several times to open a little restaurant in the Triangle (I had the name, the mood, style, menu, connections for buying Italian ingredients and delicatessen etc etc), however I have never worked in a restaurant before and therefore I did not want to risk :-( plus now there are too many Italian restaurants in the area ...

Maybe when I retire

(sorry for digressing from the original topic James, feel free to destroy/remove/move ... you name it!)

Edited by LSPE, 20 April 2007 - 08:36 AM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#8 360 Degrees

360 Degrees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

Hi

The English School in Church Road is called Select English. I know some people who provide board and lodgings to foreign students for the duration of their courses and they all seem pretty much happy with the School (not that I am suggesting palming off your parents to one of them! - well unless you really wanted to). The School organises various activities too, like visits to Scotland or into the City of London. Here is a weblink which outlines the courses and the prices, hopefully you can find something to keep your parents occupied!

http://www.selecteng...fees_London.htm

londonenquiries@selectenglish.co.uk
144 Church Road, Crystal Palace, London, SE19 2NT
Telephone +44 (0)208 653 7285
Fax +44(0)208 653 9667

Hope this helps

Best regards Julie
Julie Laughton - 360 Degrees - Improving Every Angle of Your Life. Property Maintenance Solutions, Lifestyle Management Services and Project Management for your Home Improvement Projects. Visit My Website Email for Info

#9 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:05 PM

Thanks!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#10 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:16 PM

Next VN social....at LSPE's house! Around the big table in the kitchen!