Tipping Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:44 AM

As it was late and we were feeling lazy, Lady Andreas and I took a black cab back from Victoria to Crystal Palace on Saturday. The driver was affable and took us on the sensible route through Loughborough Junction and Dulwich Village. The fare came to about 28. Should we have rounded up to 30 or is this silly because we are not tourists and cabbies earn more than most of us do?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#2 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:54 AM

A round up of 2 is not a lot of money but then 28 is a lot to pay to get home from Victoria.
It was just over 30 to Heathrow Airport via mini-cab but I guess black cab is more expensive.

Not sure I would have rounded-up unless I was overwhelmed with the driver's charm and insight.

He'd earnt his money but at that price not sure he'd earnt a tip, albeit only 2 quid...?
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:29 AM

I dont tip anyone except restaurants however if a restaurant puts the mandatory tip on bill I always ask them to remove it & do not leave a tip & never return usually i leave a minimum of 10%- 15%

I dont get tipped for providing my service so i dont see why I have to tip cabs especially black ones. Bah Humbug

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 Agent Orange

Agent Orange

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 09:55 AM

I use Addison Lee to get home when I've had a late night in town with Mrs Orange.
020 7387 8888

And no, I don't tip taxi drivers in the UK. And I make sure I have change too.

#5 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:58 AM

Always leave unwanted TV's and computer monitors in the street with the screen facing the wall. This prevents drunken passers by from kicking the glass in and creating even more of a mess. If someone has already dumped a mattress in the street, feel free to add your own unwanted articles. It makes the council collector's job easier if everything is in the same place.

Ah - misread the title. This ISN'T fly tipping ettiquette. Sorry.

#6 top o' the hill

top o' the hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:09 AM

I actually always tip cabs, and generally round up. However the amount of tip is usually dependent on how much I have in my purse at the time, and how much alcohol I've consumed (i.e: how generous I'm feeling...) :D

#7 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:58 AM

I usually tip cabbies too - if they are friendly and drive well

If they aren'r friendly or do anything to annoy me then no, they don't get a tip.
M A N G O

#8 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:07 PM

Unusually, I took several black cabs last week and tipped every time. Two drivers were very helpful with boxes, bags etc. but one was a miserable git. And I always tip my hairdresser even though he owns the salon!

Edited by Sylvester, 25 April 2007 - 12:09 PM.

aka Pie

#9 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:42 PM

I don't think it would have occurred to me NOT to let the taxi driver keep the change, to be honest, if the bill was 28 :ph34r:

Saying that, whenever I eat out with friends, I'm the only one who seems to leave anything as a tip. Maybe they think they dont need to put money in if someone already has... I dunno! It's just manners to me.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#10 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

Interestingly (or not), when I worked in town I travelled everywhere by black cab and alway tipped but probably only because I could either claim back from my firm as expenses or claim from the client as a disbursement. A bit naughty really because I wouldn't tip if it was my own money.

Restaurant tipping is different - an Australian friend won't and hates it- I do but would prefer service to be included in the bill to avoid any awkwardness.

Hairdressers - a tip is an absolute must - makes sense really - snip snip :o .

Edited by charlie, 25 April 2007 - 01:00 PM.

#11 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:04 PM

Agreed - service included in a bill can avoid awkwardness particualrly if paying by card and there's no facility on the machine to add a tip. However, a service charge comes over as presumptious when service and food are below parr and will always refuse to pay the service charge if either has not been that good.

Always tip the barber if he keeps me entertained while he's shaving my head with anecdotes, wisdom or whimsy.

If at any time something appears overly expensive then I am less inclined to tip.

The other option is to get rid of all your shrapnel and foreign currency. Which is something Uncle Wilf has never ever done. Not ever. Not even once. Not even in the Wimpy. (coughs)

Edited by Uncle Wilf, 25 April 2007 - 01:05 PM.

Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#12 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 01:25 PM

Like Moc, I would have automatically allowed the cabbie to keep the change, unless he had taken me a convaluted route to try and rip me off.

With restaurants, I hate it when the service charge is added to the bill. The decision on whether and how much to tip should be left to the customer; it isn't for the restaurant to judge. Also, I always leave the tip in cash as if you put it on your card, often the waiters/waitresses don't get it.

I always tip hairdressers, cabbies and waiters/waitresses unless the service is poor. However, I do think it gets a bit ridiculous as these days hairdresssers and cabbies often earn very good salaries. The whole point of tipping is to make up someone's paltry wage, which is why tipping in restaurants is important. In Italy, for example, it's less usual to tip in restaurants as they actually get a decent salary to start with.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#13 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

When I used to work in a bar/nightclub as a student I used to earn around 40 pounds per night in tips. I could never understand it as I was only doing what I was paid to do i.e. serve drinks, and the pay was not particularly bad. Not that I was complaining about the tips at the time.

With restaurants I always find it most difficult if eating out with friends who don't tip, especially when I have really enjoyed the service - I am torn between putting in extra to cover their miserlyness (is that a word?) or just putting in my share and being a bit embarrased.

I always tip my hairdresser (unless I hate the cut) and always round up in a black cab (unless they are rude), it's hard enough some times to even get one to take you......but that's another thread.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#14 FishFry

FishFry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 02:40 PM

Tip ? Black Cabs ? You must be joking. Not only are the fares extortionate to begin with, but why are they afforded special privileges such as driving in bus lanes ? Not exactly providing public transport are they ? Just queue-jumping for those who can afford it. Plus the pulling in and turning round abruptly whenever they feel so moved. Tips are for those whose basic wage doesn't suffice. In other words, waiting staff and barbers who rent a chair.

#15 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

With restaurants I always find it most difficult if eating out with friends who don't tip, especially when I have really enjoyed the service - I am torn between putting in extra to cover their miserlyness (is that a word?) or just putting in my share and being a bit embarrased.

I'm right with you there Bosie. I can't believe how stingy some people are. I usually just go along with it to avoid making a fuss but it is embarrassing. If it's a restaurant that I chose and I know I will be going back there, I'll stick a bit extra in though.
Mel, Forum Moderator