Tipping Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:43 AM

Yes it would have to be a disaster of epic proportions for me not to tip in a restaurant. It's really embarrassing though when one is with friends who don't - usually this is because they're from a country such as Australia or Italy where the customs tend to be different.

As for tipping cabbies, Lady Andreas and I have differing views - and I think the same goes for the VN community. :)
opposed to taking terrapins.

#17 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:59 AM

Yes agree to disagree but picking up on Gekko's point - why shouldn't a restaurant add a service charge if they want to - if one doesn't like the restaurant's terms and conditions then don't eat there? Gurkha Cottage & Barcelona Tapas on Lordship Lane add a service charge but then I am always happy with the quality of food and service.

Does anyone tip in gastro pubs?

#18 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:15 AM

Agreed I never go to a restaurant who I know add the service tip on the final bill.

It makes them lazy as they feel the tip is guaranteed.

In the printing game they like the work yesterday & want to buy at 1990 prices with a 3 month payment term. Boy I am in the wrong game .

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#19 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:52 AM

But Charlie, when the service charge is added to the bill, the serving staff often don't get the money. Instead it lines the pockets of the proprietor and the staff just get a measly wage. It then ceases to be a service charge in my opinion. If you are going to do it that way, it would be more honest to just mark up the menu prices as that's what it amounts to.

Regarding tipping in pubs, if the bill is brought to the table then I would tip. If you pay at the bar after the meal then if there is a tip pot I'd stick in some change. If it's an order and pay at the bar prior to eating place, I wouldn't tip as I don't know whether the service and meal have been good yet. The one thing I do hate is those pubs where you order a drink at the bar and they give you your change on a silver tray rather than put it into your hand. They are clearly hoping you'll leave the change, which I never do. I generally won't tip someone for pouring a glass of wine at a bar. If it's table service though, that's different. In the US, however, it's customary to leave a dollar bill on the bar after ordering a drink. I'm a huge fan of table service and love that about the continent. I hate the culture here of fighting at the bar to get noticed and then trying to juggle a round of drinks, which you inevitably spill on the way back :rolleyes: . I'd gladly tip someone to avoid traipsing to the bar.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#20 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:53 AM

I don't tip the barstaff in normal pubs when they hand me a bag of quavers, I wouldn't tip if I got bangers and mash in a Wetherspoons so I wouldn't even consider tipping in a gastro pub. It's a pub, nothing more. Having said that I would never go to a gastro pub in the first place... eating in pubs should be illegal.

#21 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:00 AM

Eating in pubs is what stops people getting steaming drunk. I prefer to drink alcohol accompanied by at least some decent nibbles and on the whole avoid places where you cannot order food. At our VN meet in March we went to the Royal Albert. Having come from work, we were all pretty ravenous but the only thing to eat was Walker's crisps, of which we consumed several bags. I'd rather have had something more substantial as I might have avoided the resulting hangover!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#22 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:06 AM

Speaking as an acclimatised Australian (we can talk about the cricket later)...

Unserviced charged restaurant bills - tipping unless too annoyed by something (which is mostly being made to feel invisible)

Service charged restaurant bills - usually pay up unless SERIOUSLY annoyed by something, as not paying in this case involves active intervention. It's not right is it?

Mini cabs - usually tip (mind you, I only usually take minicabs locally, so fare is minimal in any case)
Black cabs - would round up unless close to tears with gratitude for something (live birth, life-saving resuscitation - you know) and then 'real' tip

Hairdressers - oh yes.

Pubs - probably actually depends (amongst many, many, many other things of course) on how tasty the barman is (and if Mr Urma is present!)

U.

#23 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:19 AM

Perhaps we should talk later about the Jonny drop kick in the Rugby World cup !

Mind you with my beer gogles I have never ever seen an ugly bar maid !

Dazza

PS crisps mmm thats where I have been going wrong all these years.

#24 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:21 AM

What really annoys me is when restaurnats add service onto the bill and then give you a credit card/debit card slip with room to add service on as well. Have been caught out by that several times i.e. not checking the bill properly and assuming that if they are asking for a tip on the credit card slip, they haven' already taken one.

I tip taxi drivers if I am feeling generous.

I have had so many moany black cab drivers though - coming all the way out to West Norwood - that's the ones who don't out right refuse to take you...
Rachel
My link

#25 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

Thats exactly why I never tip black cab drivers being stranded at paddington station at midnight on various occasions with 50 black cabs of whom none want to got to Crystal Palace.

Dazza

#26 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

They are actually obliged to take you. One can take their number and complain, but I somehow never do. The last one who said 'Not at this time of night, mate' and drove off while my husband was trying to open the door was at 5.30pm on Saturday outside Charing Cross! (Ok we were being very lazy, but I had blisters!)

But sorry this is diverging from the subject matter.
Rachel
My link

#27 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

Black cab's are not obliged to take a fare if it is more than 6 miles away from Charing Cross. I always just say Dulwich which is less than 6 miles and then when I am nearby say the very bottom of South Croxted Road, which pretty much takes me right there (I live on Gipsy Road).

However, I sometimes find if you just get in first and shut the door then tell them where you are going it's more difficult for them to refuse.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#28 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:06 AM

Mr Urma would concur, Dazza.

Being a generously proportioned gentleman (watch out, innocent barmen of the world!), Mr Urma had to 'persuade' the third black cab to refuse to take him to St George's (where a mini Urma was limp in casualty) late at night from Fleet St by 'looming' in an apparently convincing manner. He is now definitely a non-tipper of black cabs.

U.

#29 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:31 AM

No they increased it to 12 miles.

taxis
Rachel
My link

#30 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

Yes I had heard that it had been increased to 12 but then I asked a friend's husband (who is a black cab driver) and he said it was 6 miles. 12 would be good though!

Oh I just saw your link, obviously it is 12 then. That's useful to know. :)
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com