• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 11:42 AM

And according to Street map it's 6.7 miles from Charing Cross Station to my house! I can see why they don't want to do it - no chance of a fare on the way back, but even so...
Rachel
My link

#32 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:16 PM

This is an interesting topic! Tipping practices do vary around the world. When we were in Lisbon recently our taxi driver told us that his father lives in the Algarve, and many restaurants there only like to give tables to English people as the locals don't tip as well, if at all. We always find taxi drivers very congenial when abroad as (presumably) they anticipate a good tip from the English.
aka Pie

#33 keitha

keitha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:33 PM

I do tend to tip black cab drivers unless they've ignored my instructions about a more direct route. But why do we tip black cab drivers? I don't understand the collective expectation of black cab drivers that they should be tipped simply for doing their job and charging a very high price for it. Are we paying for the privilege of travelling in antiquated, uncomfortable vehicles and being forced to endure the cab driver's banal questioning and dreary opinions?

#34 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 12:57 PM

What makes me laugh is when they don't speak to you for most of the journey and then get really chatty as they pull into your street in the hope that they'll get a tip.
Mel, Forum Moderator