12 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

Found this interesting little section about the fire of the Palace. Enjoy...
Nick, Forum Moderator

#2 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 01:50 PM

And this picture from The First Post...
Nick, Forum Moderator

#3 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:44 PM

Thats an interesting read. Thanks for the link.

Im quite tempted to find a good book on the palace, but cant find one with a lot of original photos. Any ideas if such a book exists!?
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#4 tulse hill terry

tulse hill terry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

There's the Chup Friemert reprint of the documentation of all the stages of the Crystal Palace's re-construction at Sydenham, published in the 80's a copy is for sale on abebooks.

There is Ian Leith's "Delamotte's Crystal Palace" full of pictures from the buildings early days.

For pictures and a huge amount of information you cannot beat Jan Piggot's "The People's Palace." 2004

Of course a lot of pictures of the Palace have been posted this week on the Sydenham Town Forum, Local History section.

#5 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 12:39 AM

I saw a great picture of one of the streets in The Triangle with the water tower looming over it.

A picture of 'present' day Norwood then appears...
http://homepage.mac....ower_master.gif

Edited by Billy S, 07 December 2007 - 12:39 AM.

Love The Triangle...

#6 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:31 AM

More info about Eyedropper's image is here...
http://www.virtualno...?showtopic=2568

European.vote - EU Referendum

#7 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

I know I've mentioned this on another thread, but some of you might be interested to hear that a new CD has just been released, entitled 'Fire & Glass: A Norwood Tragedy', which is devoted entirely to the history of the Crystal Palace fire. The music is a mixture of Classical and spoken word and if you follow this link and scroll down, you can see the cover:

http://www.coldspring.co.uk/index.php

#8 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:57 PM

I don't think word has sufficiently got round in 70-odd years - I got off at the bus station the other evening and a tourist asked me where Crystal Palace was. I said she'd found it but she said: "No, THE Crystal Palace." I said I was sorry to inform it burnt down in 1936. She said: "Oh my god, are you joking? I came specially." I said she could have seen the site in the park and the statues but it was closed at that time. I asked what she would do now and she just said: "Go back." Hoping it would be quick for her, I asked where "back" was and she said Aldgate East (!). She looked really sad and said: "Will they build a new one?" I gave her a quick story-so-far and she went off to find a bus. Some guidebook out there needs updating.

#9 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:17 PM

:lol: An East End tourist no less! I hope she doesn't think Jack the Ripper is still around, too.

Edited by James, 24 January 2008 - 07:20 PM.
Removed unnecessary quoted reply

#10 SockMonkey

SockMonkey

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:47 PM

I don't think word has sufficiently got round in 70-odd years - I got off at the bus station the other evening and a tourist asked me where Crystal Palace was. I said she'd found it but she said: "No, THE Crystal Palace." I said I was sorry to inform it burnt down in 1936. She said: "Oh my god, are you joking? I came specially." I said she could have seen the site in the park and the statues but it was closed at that time. I asked what she would do now and she just said: "Go back." Hoping it would be quick for her, I asked where "back" was and she said Aldgate East (!). She looked really sad and said: "Will they build a new one?" I gave her a quick story-so-far and she went off to find a bus. Some guidebook out there needs updating.

I had a similar experience. A couple stopped me in the park and asked, "Where is the Crystal Palace?" I replied, "You are standing where it was." They then asked, "What do you mean?" I said, "It burned down years ago." I really don't think they believed me!

#11 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

Did anyone else watch the episode of Michael Portillo's rail journeys using Bradshaw's Victorian guide, when he stopped off at Crystal Palace? It includes some footage of the fire. You can still watch it on BBC iPlayer here Brighton to Crystal Palace
aka Pie

#12 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

Did anyone else watch the episode of Michael Portillo's rail journeys using Bradshaw's Victorian guide, when he stopped off at Crystal Palace? It includes some footage of the fire. You can still watch it on BBC iPlayer here Brighton to Crystal Palace

Hi Sylvester - there was a recent thread about it here:

http://www.virtualno...ilway-journeys/

Great little prog!

#13 John Greatrex

John Greatrex

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

If visitors at the bus station ask about the Crystal Palace you could always take them to London's Latest Little Landmark - the replica Crystal Palace Corner (open 24hrs a day) on the site of the old palace - which in its small way evokes the style and spirit of Paxton's Crystal Palace.