8 replies to this topic

#1 Cheese

Cheese

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:39 AM

Hi

My partner and I are planning to get married later this year. We really like the look of Beauberry House (formally Belair House) in Gallery Rd, Dulwich. Unfortunately, we've read a few dodgy reviews of their restaurant. We haven't seen any reviews of weddings at Beauberry House though – has anyone got married there, or been to a wedding there? If so, what was it like?

Also, can anyone recommend a local wedding venue? We'd like to have the ceremony and reception in the same place and need space for around 60 guests. Nothing too ridiculously posh and pricey, though!

Thanks!

Cheese

#2 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:26 AM

Hi Cheese

Sorry haven't been to a wedding there, but went for a lunch for my partner's birthday and it was lovely. Really nice food. It was a little empty when we were there though- so that may explain the attentive service! Best of luck...

#3 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 11:36 AM

Dulwich college ? - licenced for civil cermonies....

#4 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

Hankies at the ready...

Mr Urma and I got married in a civil ceremony in September 2000 in the Old Library at Dulwich College, and then trecked the guests (about 70) down the road to a reception at Belair (as was) House. We had umbrellas on stand-by in case of rain but (probably because we had umbrellas at the ready!) it turned out to be a mild and lovely day (it was the weekend of the petrol strikes, so people - especially the Yorkshire in-laws - were nervous about fuel use in any case) and the walk was actually a rather pleasant interlude, allowing the 'greeters' to sprint ahead, and the out of town guests to perambulate the long way via Dulwich Park and Gallery to offset the 'Norwood Effect' on their impressions of London. Any cars that came (and, given the Belair bar, there were few) were left parked at Belair beforehand.

We were able to book out the entire place (although I don't know if that's possible now that the public spaces have been extended to include the rooms upstairs) and yes, we had an awesomely groovy time.

As far as it's current incarnation as Beauberry goes, we had friends eat there last week. They are of artistic inclination and were appalled at the 'art' on the walls, but were very impressed by the food. Apparently the service was a bit dodgy, but this was explained by the 'new administration' as teething difficulties. And apparently the revamped 'conveniences' are very swish! I have to say that although food and service are vital to a successful wedding feast, it was the bar (start saving those shekels) combined with the terraces facing out over the park that made it. I would imagine that the terraces will also come into their own if you are anticipating smoking guests, and you are getting married after July...

We had the full sit down dinner hoo-ha, but our neighbours had their reception in the bar side only (2001, I think), with a constant supply of really gorgeous little-things-on-trays and it was an equally enjoyable ambience.

All in all (but then I would say this) an extremely positive wedding experience (and yes, I've done it before so I can compare!). The few kids (and more hyperactive adults) capered on the 'grassy knoll' behind, the photos looked great and there were no neighbours to be concerned about as the band went bonkers.

The only downside - even back in the days when we attracted two city salaries, as opposed to our current one voluntary sector income - was the cost (refer comments re bar!). We couldn't do it now, but I'm so glad we did then.

I'm off to dust off the wedding album - aaaaaaaahhhhhhh.
The very best of luck to you, Cheese - half the fun is in the planning!

Best wishes,
Urma

#5 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:44 PM

Mu sister was a guest at a wedding at Beauberry/Belair House just a few weeks ago. I'll ask her what she thought...

R

#6 Cheese

Cheese

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

Thanks so much for your replies. It was lovely to hear your wedding story, Urma – thanks v. much!

Rosehip – I would be extremely grateful if you could find out what your sister thought about Beauberry. A wedding guest's viewpoint would be v. interesting…

Anyone else got anything to add about Beauberry or other local venues??

Cheese

#7 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:24 PM

Beauberry - from what I remember the parking isn't great, but the station is within a walkable distance. Another thing that was a little strange was the ceremony setup with the couple standing in the alcove, because we were having up to 100 guests, some of them wouldn't have been able to see. Probably not a problem with 60 though.

We got married at the Horniman museum at Forest Hill and it was great - bit pricy for the meal as well so we went to Blackheath for the reception. To be honest there aren't that many venues within striking distance of CP... Crown and Greyhound in Dulwich might be worth a look. ^_^
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#8 tiamaria

tiamaria

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:36 PM

hi. I went to my friends wedding there summer 2005 (ceremony only). It was much better than other civil ceremonies i have been too...the building and the grounds definitely make it seem special. The only downside was that the way the seats were laid out for the service meant we were all really squashed in so it wasnt overly comfortable in the heat and you couldnt actually see much as the seats were side on to the aisle. Dont get me wrong it was beautiful, but if you are asking for positives and negatives that was the only negative

#9 tiamaria

tiamaria

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

Has anyone been to a wedding/function at Kingswood House??