• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#16 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:24 PM

I'd just like to add that I think the 'For Sale' section is a really valuable part of VN. It's great being able to buy and sell from neighbours especially where bulky items are concerned and I'd hate to see that disappear. However, I wouldn't sell a concert ticket to my next door neighbour for 50% above the face value so I wouldn't do it on here either.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#17 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 12:26 PM

I agree with the 'signpost' idea (and used it before) - sale on here is not a bad idea at all (i.e. soon my furnite will be flogged online somewhere) but it feels bad (maybe is just me) when you try to you try to get a profit in an auction style sale.

Furthermore things that we sell here have mostly lost their original value (furniture etc) so we do not actually make any profit out of them ... houses is a different topic all together and I agree with Ziwa, though I have only posted mine as 'signpost' as the agencies are dealing with it ....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#18 Bond

Bond

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:38 PM

I don't think I even have an objection to someone asking for moremoney for tickets that they'd bought with the intention of going. That's just reflecting the way the market has gone.

But buying tickets with the intention of selling on immediately has the effect of distorting the market and shows disrespect (I think) to the artist(e). Therefore I'm not comfortable with the immediate selling for profit that I think is the subject of this thread.

#19 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

Unfortunately it isn't viable to set up Virtual Norwood as a standalone independent Not For Profit organisation. Basically because it tends to run at a loss. However, I try my best to broadly align myself with the NFP ethos. The Items for Sale section has helped to encourage sponsorship because we make sponsorship a requirement. But with a sponsors upgrade costing just 1 (for a week) and no limit to the number of items advertised (within reason), no listing fees, no completion fees, no transaction fees, it becomes very affordable for finding new homes for stuff. If we had a better income source the service would be free to all members.

I think it is brilliant that we can actually ask our members for their views on policy. It helps to keep things workable. However, we also need to keep the rules simple so that they are easily understood. We aren't trying to compete with eBay or Gumtree but I think we could limit the advertising of scarce commodities (such as new consoles or tickets) that are significantly above RRP, without damaging the opportunity for our members to use the service sensibly.

As an aside, I think we make also need to have a look at policy for advertising property in light of the Home Information Pack requirements coming into force soon (n.b. the onus is on the seller).

Ziwa, as with the crime discussions, and more generally speaking, we are working on redevelopment of the Virtual Norwood web site that will open things up and make things easier to find. We have a Live Bookmark for our Items for Sale section and as such could open it up to rolling headline style promotions further down the line. Behind the scenes we are putting in some pretty strong foundations for future growth and I will be sharing further details of them with everyone soon.

Our interest in revising policies from time to time is to keep things legal and fair, and maintain the spirit of a local community web site. It is good to see so many people share these values.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#20 spoiltdog

spoiltdog

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 03:38 PM

Hello to every one that has added there thoughts to this add of mine didnt realise l would be opening a can of worms ,firstly let me say im offering these tickets for sale l work hard when l have work ,some people invest there money in the bank,gamble,shares all to make a profit im not saying that is wrong its youre money . I choose to use my money however l see fit if that is to buy for e.g a car and sell it for a profit is that such a bad thing surely every person that has voiced there opinion on here has more than likely sold something at sometime and made a profit unless youre all saints ,people buy property when it is sold usually a profit is made do you say to the vendor no buy the property at what l paid for it . Lets all get real l paid to advertise on here as l thought there might be people who may be intrested who were unlucky to get tickets and advertised make me an offer if you are looking to blame any one blame the organisers of these events e.g did you know that Barbra Streisand tickets were available to 02 customers two days before they went on sale to the general public l spent hours on the phone to 02 asking why l had not been offered tickets there answer was they chose which customers would be able to buy first hand on how much they spent on mobil billing so the poor man who only puts credit on phone as pay and go doesnt even get a look in it was only for contract customers ,gutted l was that l have been 02 customer for over 12 years . So there you all go im sorry if some of you are upset by me trying to make a bit of money like l said if any one wants to buy tickets make me a offer ---- TOUGHTS TELL YOU HOW MUCH TO PAY FOR TICKETS ----im just aking you to make me an offer again if ive offended any one please except my apologies Spoiltdog

#21 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:20 PM

Spoiltdog, I don't think it is necessary for you to apologise. As it stands at the moment we are happy to host your listing and if we were unhappy or if you had done something wrong we would have removed your listing and been discussing a refund of your donation.

Your listing has prompted a discussion as to the nature and character of our forum, and how we raise revenue to support it. Please don't take these comments personally. As you can see we have made reference to earlier listings, so it isn't anything that you have done.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#22 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:58 PM

Any tickets which I have bought from Ebay are by people who are genuine fans or by people who have been let down by a friend for some reason ,most of the tickets I have bought have been for less than the face value.

I cant agree that ebay is a breeding ground for ticket touts purely from my own experiencing of purchasing tickets from ebay for various events.

You must have had a bad experience ducke01

Dazza

I haven't had a bad experience Dazza, although I wanted to buy tickets for the Ashes in 2005 and there were dozens on sale for in excess of 500. Genuine fans? I think not.

#23 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:02 AM

Ducke01 just to rub salt in your wounds I was given a free ticket for the Ashes in 2005 ( Friday)

However most people around me had paid in excess of 500 for their tickets most of these people were corporate people who also were not real fans I fear.

Catch 22 !

Dazza

Edited by Dazza, 10 May 2007 - 08:03 AM.

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#24 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:29 AM

Just seen this thread. Didn't realise what prompted it until i saw the original thread/posts from spoiltdog, and to me the whole tone and attitude of those posts is extremely unwelcome, something along the lines of i've got tickets for something you haven't and elsewhere they cost stacks so start your bidding now and if you hesitate then i'll sell them elsehwere but how kind of me to let VN people have first chance.

Edited by James, 10 May 2007 - 08:40 AM.
Please see Advertising Guidelines

a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#25 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:26 AM

I wouldnt be surprised if half of you are sharpening your pitchforks & lighting your torches as we speak & planning on running poor old spoiltdog out of town ?

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#26 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

Morning all

I agree that the facility to sell any items, included tickets, via VN is great; however I'd also agree with some of the comments that suggest in this case the tone was a bit money-grabbing. But until there is a VN rule that says we can't do that, its going to happen, isn't it?!

Signposts to estate agents (something I've done), to eBay and to Gumtree etc should, in my opinion, be allowed, just as signposts to events and other matters of interest are allowed.

Personally I love the idea that we are scratching each others backs....in a non-strange virtual world way.....by offering items for sale on a local level. In the absence of boot fairs, garage sales (absence of garages!) and the like, this facility is brill!

#27 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:52 AM

Nothing against spoiltdog ... there was an issue raised and we were/are discussing to agree the best way forward ...
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#28 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:16 AM

Moderator's note

Guys, let's not get too personal about this. Spoiltdog hasn't actually broken any house rules and a post like that would be perfectly acceptable on many forums. It's just that we are a local community forum and perhaps feel a bit more strongly about being neighbourly.

Please ensure that your comments address the general issue of reselling of tickets on VN.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#29 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

spoiltdog, did you buy the tickets in order to sell them ?
If so, i feel sorry for the genuine fans who just missed out on getting tickets.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#30 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:33 AM

loplop that's not fair to spoiltdog at this point! S/he has got the message that this is not the venue to have posted the tickets at a big profit, but there are plenty of places that are. We live in a market driven society and all of us are struggling to navigate the moral maze that that presents. MOST things are not sold at fair prices, and most of us are complicit in that. Its also not our business to ask spoiltdog's initial or final motivation. We can opinionate on generalities but it doesn't help to keep beating up on the person who stumbled in on this. Just let them say OOPS, SORRY, and move on.