52 replies to this topic

#1 mike73

mike73

Mike

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:14 AM

Noticed that the puzzle has a ne sign above it. Anyone heard of these guys before?

Edited by mike73, 14 May 2007 - 07:15 AM.

#2 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:20 AM

There's a thread somewhere, but i'm not sure exactly where. was possibly under The Puzzle ?
Moderator ?
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#3 adrianx

adrianx

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:32 AM

I too, walked past it yesterday and shed a little tear for the Palace. Perhaps I should wait until it opens, but Chicken shack!!! I can just imagine the patrons. I thought the Palace was going up market? The name and signage says it all.

#4 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:41 AM

Ive no idea what they're like, adrian, in fact i think this the first one they've opened. Its owned by Prezzo pizza chain, and again i've no idea what they are like. They seem in a similar vein to Pizza Express or Ask, so its not necessarily going to be as bad as you imagine, and will presumably offer reasonably priced food.
The space is huge and there's a terrace out the back with tremendous views of London.
I'll be giving it a try.

blow

#5 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:46 AM

yes I think "chicken shack" may be what they call these places in the Deep South - although I'm by no means an expert. Various peeks through the window suggest a reasonably high specification layout - in the style of a Nando's. Prezzo PLC are very much a reputable chain.

I think it could be a well-appreciated addition to the Triangle - though I hope I don't end up eating my words.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#6 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 07:49 AM

second hand info on Prezzo from a friend suggest that they have quite high standards in terms of food and restaurants, let's wait and see
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#7 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:35 AM

The thread you are looking for is here:

The Puzzle

However, since we now have confirmation (due to a big sign at the front of the unit) that it is indeed going to be a Shecky's, I think the new thread is warranted.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#8 JulesF

JulesF

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:38 AM

From what I can gather it is basically a Nando's clone. The company has some other styles of restaurant around the country (including some rather up-market spots in London) and this is their new brand to presumably challenge Nando's domination of the chicken market!

#9 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:41 AM

If this is going to be an upmarket venture surely they could have come up with a better name.

Sheckys Chicken Shack doesnt exactly grab me as a classy name. It sounds more like a horror flick title.

Dazza

Edited by Dazza, 14 May 2007 - 09:41 AM.

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#10 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

You're quite right, Dazza, its not an attractive name.
Its a bit of a tongue-twister too, be careful where you are if you say it in a hurry.

blow

#11 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

I can just imagine the patrons. I thought the Palace was going up market? The name and signage says it all.

"I can just imagine the patrons."

Families maybe? - there is currently a limited choice for families in CP. Shock Horror but some children's parents do still allow them the occasional treat. Or people who actually like chicken and want something a bit more healthy than a KFC or a Dallas Chicken. Or maybe young professionals, with high levels of disposable income who just want an occasional quick bite to eat in a more informal setting?

Or were thinking of other people?
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#12 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

Got to agree with Bosie. If it offers a reasonably priced reasonable quality place to eat with kids then great. Everytime my wife's nieces and nephews (who age from about 8-14) come to visit we really struggle to find somewhere they'd like to eat. The current choices are pretty limited and mainly all Italian - Pizza Express, Pizza Hut and Il Ponte. Sure the name is not the greatest but (as Pizza Express proves) not all chain restaurants have to be be cheap or tacky.

Edited by jamesl, 14 May 2007 - 11:07 AM.

#13 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:27 AM

I may go off the topic but the only Italian thing in pizza express and pizza hut is the name "pizza"
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#14 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:11 PM

I'll add my culturo-linguistic expertise here, as a former resident of the US South (Ahh kihn be considud a Suthnah), I'd not say a Chicken Shack is the kind of place one celebrates. Out of context, its downright hokey. But I will withold judgement on anything more than the name until I see what they have to offer. If it ends up as a place to get good chilled beers on a terrace with a view, who's complainin'?

#15 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:45 PM

Cant see how it will appeal to families as there is nowhere to Park if that is Shecky angle they will be in trouble. If they are targeting the people who like eating chicken from a box of which they can dispose of the empty carton in the middle of the road I think they will do a roaring trade.

The Harvester is the only ideal place for kids in the area as you can drive straight into it.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig