• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#16 edgar

edgar

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:56 PM

At last! A venue where I can let my fondness for gingham run riot!

Love Dazza's "Horror Flick" comment on the title. So true. I can imagine us forking our way through grits, grubs, wings and things in terror of finding a hand!

But Westow Hill does need some life injected into it. The interior looks fine, but how did they manage to justify the relationship between the interior (which looks OK) and the signage front (shocking)? Such a shame to see such tacky signage in this day and age. Can't the company be persuaded to put something a little more inviting and tasteful up there? Plus the round sign on top looks slightly askew - that will drive me mad everytime I pass it (and I think I will be passing it a lot).

But I hope it's a success and that it brings some life into the area It would be good to see families eating out together (and I normally run a mile from that sort of thing). The area needs a little more 'all-inclusive' bustle in the early evening.

#17 vickyp

vickyp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:00 PM

I'm looking forward to going along and checking it out. As has been mentioned before, peeking inside during the refurb I've been impressed at the standard of fittings, and Prezzo are a quality, reliable chain. Shecky's is definitely not appealing to the chicken in a paper box market!

As for parking being a problem for families, it's a problem that faces all the restaurants/cafes etc. Since moving here in January I've seen plenty of families out and about in the triangle, seemingly not put off by parking. I've got a vested interest in finding family friendly places in the triangle as I'm expecting our firstborn in August, so it'll be good to see how much space there is in Shecky's when it opens.

#18 ToodlePip

ToodlePip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

If anyone happens to go by Sheperd's Bush you can check it out at the West12 shopping centre.

On the menu there's flame-grilled chicken and ribs, a salad bar and a wide range of sauces from around the world for customers to choose from.

Sounds like the chicken equivalent to Pizza Hut.

Edited by ToodlePip, 14 May 2007 - 02:07 PM.

#19 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:36 PM

The Harvester is the only ideal place for kids in the area as you can drive straight into it.

Nice one Dazza :lol:

You're having a laugh, surely?
M A N G O

#20 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:26 PM

I too, walked past it yesterday and shed a little tear for the Palace. Perhaps I should wait until it opens, but Chicken shack!!! I can just imagine the patrons. I thought the Palace was going up market? The name and signage says it all.

Sorry adrianx, your quote (and some others on this thread) made me think of this :lol: ... http://www.youtube.c...E...ted&search=

#21 sampilger

sampilger

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

I can't see what the minor fuss is about. It looks pretty good to me, and not at all downmarket. Assume they are launching it as a rival chain to Nando's.

#22 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:26 AM

Harvester not kidding its not what I'm used to but my kids loves it up there .

Street cred its not but my 6 year old is a big fan which is the main thing !

Lets hope sheckys is a little bit upmarket than morleys I suppose we will have to suck it & see.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#23 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:23 AM

Does anyone have an idea when they are due to open ?
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#24 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:27 AM

Yesterday it looked like there was still quite a lot of work going on inside so maybe another week or so but not sure...

Shecky's Chicken Shack - it does sound like a blues cliche to me for some reason.

I think I am in the hands of the inevitable in that at some point I know I will ending up eating in here.

Not sure it will be a personal favourite but it's good driving along Westow Hill to see the large vacant unit looking like it's back in use again.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#25 palacequeen

palacequeen

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:18 PM

a quick pop in and they too do not know when they will be ready for business. It was due to open today but a lot of the trades have not completed their works. However, what I have seen of the lay out and back garden, it is very impressive, smart decoration, plus a quick introduction to the assistant manager, who informs me adults as well as children will love the menu.

The area at the back looked fantastic, what with the great back drop.

#26 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 03:21 PM

It's a great site and I for one am looking forward to my chicken experience. I hope it will be a welcome addition to the Triangle.

#27 gartom

gartom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

I wish them every success, anything is better than another boarded-up shop in the triangle. And let's face it, there was nothing classy about The Puzzle.

#28 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 08:57 PM

I had a quick look at the menu as I went past there tonight. It is similar to Nandos, as expected. Chicken with Peri-Peri, Jerk or BBQ sauce with a couple of veggie choices. Looks fine inside (although I don't much like the look of the wonky chicken on the sign outside). I'll probably give it a try at the weekend.

#29 Aunty

Aunty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:50 PM

Sounds as the 'Chicken shack' has made the most the most of our fantastic view of the city.

It's about time one of the businesses along that stretch of Westow Hill did so (ahem, Black Sheep - pay attention!). You don't get a view like that anywhere else.

I'd take visitors there just for the view if that is the case.

#30 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 07:20 AM

It looks quite smart inside.
I believe it may open tonight.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow