Shecky's Chicken Shack

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#31 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:13 PM

I popped my head in yesterday late afternoon and it looked open already. The menu is very much on the Nando's style but the interior looked more upmarket. I think it will prove a good addition and I am planning on trying it out on Saturday. Another restaurant for the reviews board James!
aka Pie

#32 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 12:17 PM

Yes. If someone can get hold of their phone number please PM me and I will follow it up with them for their full details.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#33 Russell

Russell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 03:02 PM

Went in there last night for some food about 9:30 and it had been open about 2 hrs then.

The staff were very pleasant and from memory the food, service style, pricing (18 for 2 mains and 2 alcoholic drinks) and decoration were a carbon copy of my last visit to Nando's. So if you like Nando's you will like Shecky's.

My only concern would be as to whether they will get enough customers to give the place an atmosphere. It's a big space with a lot of tables.

#34 norwoodrat

norwoodrat

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:42 PM

cheap cheap sorry for the pun....not as good as Nandos and really is a down market version by the look of it!!!!!

#35 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:55 AM

Although I just did a very quick whizz by last night, I think this place looks fun and will really fill a gap in the market. Where do teenagers go if they want a nice meal out for a celebration? Where can parents take their children without spending an arm and a leg? I welcome this variety in the triangle!

Edited by HillBilly, 18 May 2007 - 08:56 AM.

#36 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:23 AM

Well said, Hillbilly. After all, PizzaHut isn't very exciting and i rarely see anyone in there.
A clever move from the Prezzo group. I think they may do quite well.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#37 palacequeen

palacequeen

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:32 AM

We are popping into tonight and really looking forward to using their garden, which I have to say looks fantastic!

A good place for older children and families to meet and hang out, which I felt was missing in Crystal Palace.

#38 der_maberley

der_maberley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

Just a brief comment: Thought I'd try it out as people had mentioned it so went in for lunch there yesterday. Staff very polite and helpful, the resturants decor is quite nice, with good views over the city although the foliage does tend to obscure these somewhat. I have to confess that I wasn't taken with the food, the chicken itself was not cooked to that burnt crispness which almost any Nando's I have been to can manage, and being given a leg when I ask for a quarter seems mean as excising meat thence involves much effort and little reward. The potatoes were good, if a little soft, and the coldslaw nondescript. All in all a wonderful location, with friendly and courteous staff, but the food could improve.

I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but given that in many eateries here, most of the staff are Polish (in Chicken Shack they all seemed to be), I really would like to see a Polish resturant in the Triangle. I think it would do a roaring trade..

#39 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

We are planning to go here later so will report back forthwith.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#40 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:52 PM

we went in yesterday for a look around. The garden looks lovely (though they seem to only have a limited number of tables out there). The main floor is divided in two areas - when I went in everyone had been seated in the rear section, and the front was left empty and lonely looking. I had a very helpful staff person show me around, with some pride, even though we had already established that we were not going to stay last night. That was very gracious and we do look forward to returning for a meal.

The reason we didn't stay was: 1) we were just looking for a place to have a quick jar and they can't serve alcohol without serving food, and 2) it seemed very american, and being of that origin and hosting the visit of one of my compatriots, its seemed a pity to have him travel so far for another US-type experience. (It might be more the corporatization, or mass-production, aspect, rather than anything particularly US in the presentation.)

#41 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 06:32 PM

I went in there on Saturday. I came to a similar conclusion as der_maberley about the way the chicken was cooked and getting a leg as a 1/4 portion. It's wasn't terrible but I think would order something which wasn't on the bone another time. I also wish they could do a little more in the drinks menu than two very bland beers including the vile Bud, but I'm splitting hairs here. When I went in there no-one was being shown to their seats, and I gravitated towards the back so I could look out over the sunny garden. Maybe others had the same idea? I would go back there, though I think the concept needs a little more fine-tuning.

#42 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

OK, so we went there this afternoon and I was would say our experience was mixed. They've done the place out nicely and I actually think it looks fine from the outside - vibrant but not too garish. We were met at the door and told we could sit wherever we liked and when we were ready to place our order at the counter. When I ordered, the guy at the counter mentioned something about a 5% charge for table service but I didn't quite understand as this didn't seem to have been added to the bill. My other half went to get the cutlery as instructed on the menu but then the waitress brought us some cutlery anyway - a bit confusing. Anyway, the choice on the menu seemed fine (in a chickeny sort of way :) ) and I had chicken in pitta whilst my partner had chicken wings in bbq sauce. The food was fine except that the chips were pretty cold and chewy - think Burger King. It was a good price but I'd rather pay a bit more and have better quality chips and a decent range of beer. I concur with Elleme that the drinks choice is poor. The beers (only two options) are both really bland so there's definitely a need for a good European lager on there. You can refill the soft drinks for free though, which is great. We didn't have dessert but I think there were only two options.

Overall, the service was very good but they need to sort out the drinks and dessert menu. They definitely need to make better chips too! I wouldn't rush back as there are better options round the triangle but I do think it fills a gap in the market and will be great for families looking for cheap eats.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#43 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but given that in many eateries here, most of the staff are Polish (in Chicken Shack they all seemed to be), I really would like to see a Polish resturant in the Triangle. I think it would do a roaring trade..

While i myself would love to see a Polish restaurant, or something similar, i don't see the connection you make, der maberley ?
Are you saying that because there are so many Polish catering staff in the area they'd all flock to a Polish restaurant when they get a night off ?
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#44 der_maberley

der_maberley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 10:03 PM

Not exactly. I was more hoping that such a resturant would introduce people to Polish cooking, and attract customers from all backgrounds.

#45 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

I went yesterdat at just before 1pm... and it was closed. I didn't see any opening hours on display. Oh well! Pub lunch in the Albert instead :)
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage