• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#1 ToodlePip

ToodlePip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:54 PM

Having just moved to CP I'm looking for a good GP practise to register with. I've found two that are close by to me:

Dr FAGBOHUN & partners
113 Anerley Road, Anerley, SE20 8AJ

AUCKLAND SURGERY
84a Auckland Road, London, SE19 2DF

Just wondering whether anybody here has had any experience with either? Good, bad? And do you know whether they have long waiting lists of NHS patients?

Edited by James, 14 May 2007 - 02:46 PM.

#2 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 02:51 PM

Moderator's Note
When adding replies to this topic please add recommendations for the surgery rather than the doctor.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#3 lipstick

lipstick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 03:09 PM

Auckland road is an excellent surgery no waiting time you are seen at your appointment time .All the staff and the Dr,s are lovely and very good .I would highly recommend it.

Edited by James, 14 May 2007 - 10:08 PM.
Removed Unnecessary Quoted Reply

#4 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 04:08 PM

As Park Practice (the Anerley Rd one) is in Bromley and Auckland Rd Surgery in Croydon, you won't have a choice. You can only use the one in the borough in which you live. We are with Park Practice. I've only been once for travel vaccinations and whilst we weren't overly happy with the booking system, the nurse was great. My other half has seen one of the doctors and had a good experience.

Edited by gekko, 14 May 2007 - 04:11 PM.

Mel, Forum Moderator

#5 360 Degrees

360 Degrees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

Hi

I can highly recommend The Auckland Surgery, the Doctors are mostly female (just one new-ish male Doctor) and they have fantastic Nurses too.

I live in Upper Norwood, Borough of Bromley and am still registered with this Surgery, although it is in the Croydon Borough. I have however, been a patient there for nearly all of my life, so they may be more choosy with who they take on these days!

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Julie
Julie Laughton - 360 Degrees - Improving Every Angle of Your Life. Property Maintenance Solutions, Lifestyle Management Services and Project Management for your Home Improvement Projects. Visit My Website Email for Info

#6 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 08:39 AM

We tried to register at the Auckland Surgery about two years ago but they wouldn't take us as we don't live in the borough. I guess they have changed their policy in recent years. We were told that we would need to register at Park Practice, which also has a policy of not taking people who live outside the borough.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#7 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:25 AM

Gekko - I don't think its normally borough related. All Practices have designated practice areas with boundaries which they can change within reason.

For example, if a Practice list size is growing too quickly, some surgeries pull in their boundaries to make their area smaller.

For example Southwark practices will have patients registered with them who live in the borough of Lambeth but happen to live within their practice area. The dependant factor is normally catchment area not technically borough.

It may be the case for Auckland Road that their practice catchment area coincidentally runs along the borough boundary. Same may be true of the other practice you mention.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#8 ToodlePip

ToodlePip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 09:26 AM

I'm on belvedere Road and my borough is Bromley, so I guess it'll have to be the Anerley rd one then. I'll give Auckland surgery a go just in case they take me as your recommendations are very positive :)

Thank you all!

#9 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hi Uncle Wilf. I'm not claiming to speak for all practices, just stating my personal experience. When I finally got round to registering with Park Practice last month (after 2 1/2 years of living in the area :rolleyes: ), it specifically said on the form that you needed to live in the borough of Bromley. We were also categorically told by Auckland Surgery that we could not register there as we didn't live in the borough. So for these two surgeries at least, it seems that you do need to live within the borough.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#10 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 10:54 AM

Ask for a copy of the practice leaflet. The content of the leaflet is determined by the health trust and it must include details of the catchment area.

The boundary of the catchment area is not determined by the doctor's surgery... it is agreed between the health trust and neighbouring practices so that resources are balanced to the demand for services. Sometimes the boundary may coincide with a borough boundary and sometimes the catchment area will lie entirely within a borough but there is usually an overlap. As an example you can see the catchment area for South Norwood Hill Medical Centre on their web site here... http://www.southnorw...cticearea.shtml

If you are turned away by a doctor's practice ask for the contact details of their local health trust.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#11 spenge

spenge

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 12:59 PM

Are Park Practice taking on new patients? I tried to register not long after I moved in (5 years ago yesterday!!), and they were not taking new patients, might have to give it another go as fed up travelling 8 miles to my old one and lying about where i live :blink:

#12 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:23 PM

They seem to be Spenge. I registered last month and my other half registered last year with no problem. I'd try again and see what they say.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#13 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 09:14 AM

If there are issues with registering with a Practice, each Primary Care Trust has a PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) attached to it who will be able to provide advice and guidance.

The strictness around boundaries is normally there for a reason e.g. GPs are unlikely to wish to travel any great distance for a home visit should one be required.

I think Primary Care may change a lot in coming years with things like commuter clinics being set up in various places.
Private providers are also coming on the scene. 2 practices in Southwark are now being managed by a private provider, whilst still delivering an NHS service.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#14 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:52 AM

Made quite good experience with a doctor at park practice - finally been properly diagnosed and treated.....

just been to see the doctor this morning - they have got a new online appointments system, haven't tried it yet but will register (you need to go there in person with ID and they give you a personal pin number which enables you to book appointments) - I will give feedback once I tried it

cheers

palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#15 ToodlePip

ToodlePip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

Spenge,

I just registered at the Park Practice yesterday :)