• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#16 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:43 PM

I am moving to Belvedere road later this month so it looks like I'll need to register with Park practice. I hope they're still accepting new patients!

#17 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:55 AM

Does anyone know any good GP in the SE20 bordering BR3 area?

I have managed to get few names online but I'd rather have some recommendation than start checking GPs one by one....

thanks
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#18 JAM

JAM

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:47 AM

I would not recommend Anerley Park Practice - I recently had to wait 3 weeks for a routine appointment. Admittedly you can always get an appointment if it's an "emergency". The problem is that I am unsure what "emergency" really means in this context and feel bad insisting on an appointment. Having said that, if you're ill and want to get sorted out and back to work it may not be an "emeregncy" but you don't want to wait three weeks to see someone.
JAM

#19 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

Park Practice is on Anerley Rd at the Crystal Palace end of SE20 so I'm sure there will be closer options for you. You might not have a huge amount of choice though as surgeries can be very choosy and only take from a small catchment area. I'm with Park Practice (not through choice but because no-one else would take us) but have only been once for holiday jabs so can't really comment. It's a bit shabby looking to be honest but my partner has always found the doctors to be okay.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#20 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:15 PM

If you have one you like and trust and it would still be near enough for you to get to when you're feeling rough, they might let you stay. I did this when I moved, though have now joined a surgery close by.

Just a thought to tide you over. You don't have to decide anything right away if you can still get to your current one easily enough.

#21 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:06 PM

cheers found it - not much choice but found one near the house thanks for the info everyone
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#22 dragregory

dragregory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

Any recommendations for a local GP surgery to register with (church rd area) ?

#23 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:54 PM

Despite the rather lukewarm recommendations above, I'd definitely put in a word for Park Practice. They've been very good for us this last year - ranging from my wife's quite serious illness to my daughter's jabs for an adventure in China. The doctors are excellent and very caring (not stinting with their time, which is one reason why waiting times can grow), and the nurse who did the jabs was great.

#24 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

That's good to know Nick. I'm with PP but haven't needed to go much (touch wood) apart from holiday jabs. It's a scruffy looking outfit from outside but the nurses have been pleasant when I've been.

I should add that they only take people who live in the borough of Bromley though so it's unlikely to be of use to you Dragregory. You should try the one on Auckland Road, which always seems to get a good write-up.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#25 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

Any recommendations for a local GP surgery to register with (church rd area) ?

I go to the practice on Church Rd, just up from the Queens Hotel (walking away from the triangle) - tel no: 0208 771 6050.

Plus points:

- The docs I have seen there have all been v good & take their time with you.
- I can normally get a same day appnt in an emergency, or day after if I can wait.
- Pharmacy on-site
- Good range of services on the whole

Not so good points:

- For some reason they had stopped the blood taking service on-site that the used to run last time I went. V annoying, as I left the Park Practice as the Church Rd one had this service. You now how to travel to Mayday Hosp or clinics in Thornton Heath or Croydon for blood tests - not easy of you don't have a car.

On the whole though, a good practice, and better in my opinion than Park Practice (service and availability of appnts).

#26 prawnge

prawnge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:01 PM

I go to the practice on Church Rd, just up from the Queens Hotel (walking away from the triangle) - tel no: 0208 771 6050.

Plus points:

- The docs I have seen there have all been v good & take their time with you.
- I can normally get a same day appnt in an emergency, or day after if I can wait.
- Pharmacy on-site
- Good range of services on the whole

Not so good points:

- For some reason they had stopped the blood taking service on-site that the used to run last time I went. V annoying, as I left the Park Practice as the Church Rd one had this service. You now how to travel to Mayday Hosp or clinics in Thornton Heath or Croydon for blood tests - not easy of you don't have a car.

On the whole though, a good practice, and better in my opinion than Park Practice (service and availability of appnts).

Another request for doctors information, I'm afraid. I have moved just off Penge High Street (crystal palace park end) and in the borough of Bromley. the nearest surgeries to me are one on the High Street or two on Croydon Road (33 and 94). Are any of these any good?

#27 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

I'm registered at PP, and I don't think it's that good compared to my old doctors (Sydenham Green). The last 2 times I have been for an appointment, I have been kept waiting for over an hour, with no apology. It's almost impossible to get an appointment first/last thing in the day (I've asked for the latest appointment possible before and been offered 2:15!) and you have to go to Beckenham or the Princess Royal for blood tests.

I nearly wrote to the manager at the surgery over how one of the female GPs treated my husband. He had an embarassing, yet potentially quite serious, male issue that required examination. I had been on at him for weeks to go and get it checked, yet the female GP told him she wouldn't examine him as he is a man, and that he would have to rebook with a male GP. How many men without a nagging wife like me :) would have just not bothered going back?? I was furious, especially as the next GP he saw refered him for a scan straight away.

#28 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:22 PM

How ridiculous, Claire! A male GP at the Park Practice saw me the other day for a 'female problem' an merely asked for a 'chaperone' (a receptionist, I think!) to be in the room at the same time - why could they not have offered your husband the same service? There must be other males on the premises - even a fellow GP could surely spare five minutes? Bloomin' litigational culture!

That aside, i like the practice. I book appointments online (you need to register for this) to get ahead of the inevitable Monday morning queue. I can especially recommend Dr Fagbohun (even if she does have an unpronounceable name - 'Ferbone', apparently!).

#29 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

I know Gill, that's what I thought - even if she'd said to him to go back out to the waiting room and take a seat until someone was available. And I know for a fact if I hadn't been on at him, he wouldn't have made another appointment.

I agree Dr. Fagbohun is very nice, as is Dr. Mohammed. I think any other time I've been, I've seen a locum.

#30 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Registered with Park Practice but so far not sure if I want to stay. They always triage me and try and avoid seeing me. I'm not sure whether to persist or go elsewhere. My nearest is on Croydon Road but they are all v small practices. My old doc told me Penge wasn't particulary well served for primary care and I just rang PALs and they could give me no advice on quality of service only practice size and ratings on NHS Choices (which aren't representative of patient population). Help! Should I persist or should I jump ship? Really need a doc right now as on meds and need monitoring.