Photo

Shecky's Chicken Shack

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

2. Good (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

3. Average (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

4. Poor (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:06 AM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Shecky's Chicken Shack
25-27 Westow Hill, London SE19 1TQ

Open Monday to Sunday 12pm-11pm

Web: www.prezzoplc.co.uk
Email: not available
Phone: 0871 703 0533

Continental

#2 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:51 PM

I went with a couple of friends last week. Nice decor, the garden was lovely, the service was friendly (they're still learning the ropes though!) and the food was good. I'll definitely go back again although Nando's to me still has the edge on the chicken-wing front. Overall, its a good addition to the triangle! Top-tip to the manager: Ketchup = Heinz.

Shecky's might not be to the taste of the CP bourgeois, but who cares... it's better than another empty space in the triangle or a Puzzle Pub. ;)

Edited by Gipsy, 29 May 2007 - 03:52 PM.

#3 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 04:30 PM

Learning the ropes? That's an understatement!

Went there with a friend last Saturday afternoon. We gave the order and the table number (repeated twice), the drinks came then we waited. And waited while other people came in and were served before us. After about 40 minutes we asked how long the food would take and were told 'another 10 minutes' - looking at the grill area we noticed they hadn't even started cooking it. When this was pointed out and we asked to see our order they couldn't produce it and told us we must have made a mistake with the table number. If that was the case (and it wasn't) either someone got a free meal or our food had magically disappeared off the face of the earth.

No apology, nothing. We got our money back and left.

Edited by Nork1, 29 May 2007 - 04:31 PM.

#4 JGX

JGX

• Sponsors
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

Been in there twice now and I have to say it was excellent both times.

The place is spectacular and the garden area a real gem. Food was excellent and very reasonably priced (£24 for 3 including a bottle of house red) and the staff were very very friendly. I think it's a welcome addition to the triangle and hope it does well.

JGX

#5 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:20 AM

Tried Shecky's on Friday night. Unfortunately, when we went past at about 8.00 pm it was deserted so we popped into the Royal Albert for a drink or five! Went back about 10.00 pm and although not packed there were at least some people in there :unsure:

I really enjoyed it. The food is basic but just as good as Nando's - better even as Nando's only really do chicken and I really fancied some ribs which were yummy. Would definitely go back again, the garden is beautiful.

#6 Borris the Badger

Borris the Badger

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 June 2007 - 12:08 PM

Went in yesterday evening for the first time and have got to say that we really liked it. Yes the service is a bit basic but that's not why we went there.

The lay out is good and clean and the booths comfortable. These fill up first so looking in from the street you think the place is empty, as all the tables at the front and in the middle are the last to be filled.

As for the food, it was great. I had the peri peri chicken and rib combo, which was far better that anything I've had in Nando's before, really tasty, although the spicey fries are very salty.

The house red is a drinkable Italian and all in all a meal for 2 with a bottle of wine for under £30 is hard to pass up. I might be a cheap date but we'll definitley be going back.

Good place for families and kids so give it a go.

BtB

#7 Tuesday Girl Ventures

Tuesday Girl Ventures

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:35 AM

This place, while nothing bad, is just another nando's with some subtle differences...

The interior is well designed, spacious, and looks nice. The candle holes make for a nice touch along one wall.

The only thing ive always thought about these sort of places is that you don't get tons for your money, so if your in a particularly hungry mood, you still feel a tad hungry after eating. My dessert loving gf was a bit disappointed at the small selection after the meal as well...

All that aside, a polite curteous visit with no problems that was enjoyable, but not the best or most fulfilling place to eat in the Triangle

#8 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:38 AM

I finally went there a week ago – it’s a better alternative to McD in terms of fast-food but that’s as far as it goes. This is basically a glorified version of Nando’s.
We went there a couple of week-ends ago, the food was ok, nicely cooked.
I would not call it a “restaurant” though – can compare well with Pizza Hut and Pizza Express in the triangle but not against other restaurants.

The air conditioning is blasting and we had to move table as we were freezing to death!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#9 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 03:03 PM

We've been in a couple of times now and while not the most haute of cuisine, it's pretty good value for money. I was also impressed with the wine, but I wish they would offer more healthy kids' drinks (all fizzy pop stuff at present); also a better selection of puds would be welcome. We were in the garden with the grandchildren and it was a bit off putting to be told as we entered "please keep the children off the plants"! And some of the staff do seem to have a a problem understanding Norwood English... <_<
aka Pie

#10 adrianx

adrianx

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

I popped back to Crystal Palace over the weekend, and whilst with friends, we thought shall we give Shecky's a try. After much laughter and 'ribbing' about the fact that no self respecting person should be seen dead in such a place. We removed our judgemental specs and ventured in. I must say the space is impressive and well designed, but see that as its first negative. For a venue of such proportions, it needs to be filled to generate reasonable atmosphere. We sat at the back and it felt like waiting in a aircraft hanger! The food was okay and filled the gap. But there were only a few people dining , which further contributed to the lack of atmosphere. When I lived in CPalace, I was one of those people who hated this establishment opening in my neighbourhood, but I'm glad I tried it, although I shan't be recommending it. I guess there is a market for this type of restaurant in Crystal Palace, although I'll put in in line with Pizza Hut or Pizza Express.
One of my concerns is that it is habitually empty! I know it's only been a couple of weeks so let's see. But I guess Prezzo can afford to hang on to a premises simply to promote the brand.

Good luck Shecky's!!!! :D

Edited by adrianx, 18 June 2007 - 09:06 PM.

#11 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

Interesting what you say Adrian - I wonder whether it may need to "diversify" a bit i.e. broaden out its menu to be able to sustain success.

It may do well this summer owing to its garden but come winter time it may find times to be a bit leaner....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#12 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:11 AM

I agree Uncle Wilf. :angry: I wonder whether they ought to make more of their location and run part of the place as a bar, with an emphasis on cocktails?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#13 Zazoo

Zazoo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:03 PM

I've used Shecky's for take-aways now a few times now. It does what it does pretty well and it's always been fast and relatively efficient (even if the staff appear to be running it on a wing and a prayer...). It's just "Nando's Lite" really. The only down side is their tendency to run out of chicken (no, really) which has now happened to me twice!

A welcome addition over all though, I'd say.

#14 sampilger

sampilger

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

Yep, I would agree. A very good addition to the Palace. I tried it out last night and was very impressed with the service, food, decor and garden (though sadly it was too chilly to use it). We took our two-year-old son as well, and it proved to be very child friendly. Look forward to popping back now and again.

#15 marcus_tandy

marcus_tandy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

I'm glad someone else mentioned Shecky's Chicken Shack running out of all things chicken. The same thing happened to us. Apparently it was because it had been 'busy'. This was a lie as when my friend walked past an hour before it was practically empty. I fear for the day they get a full restaurant. They would not be able to cope at all.

To go back to the start myself and four friends visited Shecky's last Wednesday night. After the kitchen 'exploding' in Westow House and our food order thus unfulfilled we thought we would make do with a quick bite to eat in Sheckys. It will not be something I or them will repeat. When our order was taken (after we had got drinks) we were told that there was no chicken and that we would have to wait for an hour if we did want it. I asked why this was the case and was told it was too busy (!). I said (in a polite way) to the manager (after a long conversation during which he was insulting and offensive) that this wasn't good enough and I wouldn't go to Pizza Express and not expect a pizza or MacDonalds and not be able to get a burger. The manager said that was how it was, he didn't have to sell chicken all the time and we didn't have to stay. As we were very hungry by this point and we had already got drinks (we had been kept waiting 40 mins in Westow House before our food didn't arrive) we ordered the burger and veggie options. We just needed something to eat.

The very nice staff then came up to us to apologise. They said the manager was always rude to customers, but at least we didn't have to work for him as he was power hungry and a very unpleasant man. They though were very nice, and were a credit to the Shecky's franchise.

This all a massive shame as I am a fan of Nandos, and my previous visit to Shecky's was good actually. Until they can provide chicken though, and until they get rid of the manager I sadly will not be returning. I would go into more details of how rude the manager was but he will get found out soon enough. At least in Westow House we were offered a free meal on our return.

All in all it was not a good night, with two establishments not living up to their promise. At least the first has tried to make up for it, the manager of Shecky's has a lot to learn about humility and customer service.

Edited by marcus_tandy, 24 July 2007 - 11:47 AM.