22 replies to this topic

#1 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 03:46 PM

Hi
Can anyone recommend a good vet's surgery in the area? Come to think of it, also a good nhs dentist and doctor (for me and not my cat!)

#2 molevision

molevision

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 07:49 PM

Doctor, go to 60 Central Hill surgery - got some good ones there apart from Lwin.
Dentists, whatever you do don't go to Crystal Palace Dental Surgery or the SmileCentre opposite the Bluebottle or whatever it's called. Young female dentist has a knack of drilling teeth while reading the paper. Full of studded Croydon facelifts and a dreadful place. Dentist Mr Charlesworth is worth going to at the end of Beaulah Hill. He is grumpy but good.

#3 STEPHENH

STEPHENH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 07:25 AM

Miss Chips, on the Vet front can highly recommend Wenzels who are on Gypsy Road. They have been very good with my Cat when he was poorly.Infact I got my Cat from there as well as he was a re-homed stray.
On the Dr front I find the practice at Paxton Green excellent,in particular
Dr Stephen Millar.
Cant help with the dentist as go much further afield..I have never found one that I liked around here
Stephen

#4 Windy Miller

Windy Miller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 12:31 PM

Wendels on Gipsy Road is a superb Vet. Nice people who genuinely love animals

#5 minnieminx

minnieminx

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 September 2003 - 05:27 PM

I am horified and shocked about molevision's report on the Smile Centre. Nick Patel, who is the owner is an excellent dentist and really nice person. (being a Nurse Practioner I think I am a little more qualified to comment on these matters!) I have never had treatment from any one else in the practice but I know Nick would only emply compentent people. An example: my lovley 15 year old daugher chipped a front tooth last saturday, I was really upset as she has lovely teeth and is a touch gorgeous looking (don't know where she inherited that from......) I called the surgery first thing mon am. Nick saw her straight after school and fixed it with a white bonding and avoided having a cap. I must point out that he, unlike my job; is able to choose his clients and only see's those he likes!

#6 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:22 AM

Agree with minnieminx, Nik Patel is friendly and professional. Never been treated by the woman dentist so am unqualified to comment.

Kind of agree with moevision re the clientele though, but hey, studded Croydon facelifts deserve dental care too.

#7 STEPHENH

STEPHENH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:49 AM

Please enlighten me..what is a studded Croydon facelift...is it a cheaper alternative to Botox ?? we should be told

#8 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 12:12 PM

Good question. I had just assumed it was someone with a number of facial piercings,plentiful gold jewellery and over-plucked eyebrows.

Perhaps Molevision can clarify?

#9 molevision

molevision

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 October 2003 - 07:33 PM

OK, you may have been able to see Nick Patel but I wasn't. I saw someone else in the practice who was able to drill my teeth and look at her assistant while talking to her all at the same time. A Croydon facelift is name for young girls fashion of an extremely tight ponytail which stretches the forehead back.
Did not mean to offend those that see Mr Patel but was merely warning against others at the centre. The other crazy thing was that I was told to make an appointment at Kings Dentist School if I wanted a tooth extraction as they could not do it themselves.

#10 STEPHENH

STEPHENH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 October 2003 - 10:58 AM

oh I get it now....a croydon face lift is the same as a scrunchy !

#11 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 03:58 PM

The other crazy thing was that I was told to make an appointment at Kings Dentist School if I wanted a tooth extraction as they could not do it themselves.

Not so crazy. My dentist on Thurlow Park Rd "Peter Haynes" also referred me to Kings for a wisdom tooth extraction as they could not carry out the operation. Maybe the practice is not big enough and they would rather do the easy check ups which are less hassle and make them more money. Dentists in general charge a *** of a lot of money and I am also keen to try and avoid getting sucked in to being sold teeth cleaning every three months to make up for their slow business. :D

#12 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 October 2003 - 11:33 PM

I go to 60 central hill doctors and haven't been very impressed with them so far. My doctor is Virdi, I'd like to know who is the best one to see in the practice?

I take my cat down the hill to Wenzels and I think they offer a good service, the prices seem reasonable too.

#13 madmeldrew

madmeldrew

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:38 PM

I looked into this thread as I have a phobia about dentists and was going to ask if anyone could recommend a dentist good with phobics. I was quite relieved to see the comments about practices referring to King's; I have an old smashed up wisdom tooth which I've been cooking for a while and I'd feel happier (or maybe the term is 'differently terrified') having it done in hospital. I was a bit worried about asking for a dentists referral as they might insist on doing it themselves.

Are there any NHS dentists locally?

#14 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:52 PM

I've been going to the SMILE clinic on westow hill and have to agree with the earlier posts regarding most of the staff and clientele looking like they've had croydon face-lifts! Also they've lost my x-rays, and I had my last appointment with all the lights flickering in a ghostly fashion as they were having 'problems with the electrics'! Having said all this, the dentist was the first in a long-line of dentists in other practices to pick up on a couple of potentially problematic areas with my gums (nice) so I'm grateful for that. I also think I might have to have my wisdom teeth out at Kings - so I'd be grateful for any advice/stories as I'm with you on the fear factor Madmeldrew! :(

#15 Steve Palmer

Steve Palmer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 February 2004 - 10:22 PM

Not too far away is an exceptionally good dentists practice, run by a chap called Manny Vasant.

The website is here http://www.mkvasant.co.uk/index.html

Actually you will find an awful lot of information on the site about treatments, technology, prices, and Manny has been awarded both BSGDS Cottrell Award 2001 given to an individual who has made the most significant contribution to General Dental Practice and an MBE.