• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 eyedropper

eyedropper

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:00 PM

ha ha! So that's what I saw! I was on the 8:42 from Gippo hill the other morning as we were between Balham and Wondy common I saw a bright green bird just sitting in a tree... I thought I was going bonkers.

phew. Doesn't mean I'm not bonkers mind
www.eyedropper.co.uk

#17 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

I know there are loads of green, blue & red lorakeeets flying around at Hampton Court which were introduced ages ago & have slowly bred & adapted. I recently read that they are now a popular sight in South London as they seem to be venturing further & setting up communities!! The ones in Norwood obviuosly have impeccable tatse! Has anyone else seen the big heron thing at the fishing lake in CP park ?

yes ive seen the heron thing and its huge!

when i lived in bromley when i was little, we used to get these green parakeets flying over the woodlands where i lived. my dad found out from some local farmers (yes there are farms in bromley) that a some years ago a container at Heathrow airport came undone while it was carrying some green parakeets. since then they have adapted to the british climate and they can be found all over london.

i was quite shocked tho to wake up and find one in the tree outside my window when i was little!
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#18 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:31 AM

Supposedly the parakeets have been wild since Victorian times and it is only the recent population explosion that has brought it to everyones attention. Over the years the local population has been topped up by escapes from airports and film studios (especially Pinewood) and escapes in the big 1986 (or therabouts) storm that demolished aviaries etc.

There is more and more talk of culling this alien, invasive population so enjoy them while you can!

#19 belli

belli

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:20 AM

Don't cull the Parakeets!

I had one on my nut-feeder the other day, and they're beautiful. Noisy, but beautiful.

#20 Mary Nesbitt

Mary Nesbitt

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

What are we going to do about the Parakeets?
Soon there will be hundreds in every tree - even in the winter.

#21 StephenB

StephenB

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:37 PM

Unleash the pterodactyls. It's the only answer.

#22 lovelydai

lovelydai

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

Well, we were hoping to adopt a couple of kittens as soon as we moved into the area. 'll set them to work on the problem.

#23 armidale3

armidale3

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:10 PM

I have to admit that the sound of them going over of an evening brings a little nostalgic tear to this Australian eye occasionally. A few more years of rising temperatures and sea levels, along with all those eucalyptus and acacia trees that the more exotic gardeners in the area are now realising grow to epic proportions, and the Norwood hills could start to remind us all of the Sydney suburbs...

I also am an Aussie living in WN...i HAVE PLANTED EUCALYPTUS AND WATTLE TRESS. The parakeets haven't visited me yet. sob.
Now all we need aer some kookaburras!!!

#24 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

i was walking our dog in bromley today thropugh some farm land and saw them like normal. i always worry that the farmer they may get bored with them and kill them, but nope they are still going strong!

#25 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:51 PM

About 6 parakeets live in our garden-ish. The garden borders with woodland so they have taken to living in the one tree which happens to be right above our garden.

A pest if you ask me, they are driving away woodpeckers :(

#26 chic geek

chic geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:32 PM

ah ha last spotted in CP park on tuesday 2 green parakeets... they are also in twickenham/ strawberry hill / richmond area ..where i worked last year ( possible different flock but still green)
were in the top end of the park squawking at my friends dog who looked as bemused as we did ...lovely to see them in this neck of the woods ...scuse the pun... :rolleyes:

#27 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 09:16 AM

saw them in lloyd park in croydon on thursday when i was there for lunch with my school friends

#28 Pussycat

Pussycat

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

They're also around Wimbledon / Morden area.
I work near Morden Hall park and run there at lunch time and often see them. It's a National Trust Park so think they'll be safe there!!

#29 keitha

keitha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

I saw an unidentifiable bird of prey pursuing a flock of parakeets yesterday morning around Fox Green and Auckland Road.

#30 ncatteau

ncatteau

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:38 PM

It is possible the bird of prey you mention was a sparrow hawk. I have seen them in the area, and a parakeet would be a nice size for them to pursue.