• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Borris the Badger

Borris the Badger

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

Just saw my first stag beetle of the summer today in Cintra Park.

Stag beetles are our largest native beetle and are quite rare so its a real privelege to know that they're still around.

This one was a female (small chompers) and was quite happily walking along the footpath. If the females are out then there's a good chance that you might see the males as well. You can't miss them as their chompers are almost the length of their bodies and they look ferocious.

Fact is they're harmless, although can give a real fright if one of them crashes into you, as they can fly but just aren't very good at navigating. You can usually hear them before you see them as their wings can make a lot of noise which generally gets drowned out by the sound of screaming children...

If you do encounter one thats out on the road or on the pavement where it could get squashed, gently pick it up or move it into the nearest garden.

They really do look worse than they are and having them around really is a very good sign of the bio-diversity in the area.

It would be really interesting to hear how many other 'encounters' there are.

BtB

#2 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

For those of you who have yet to see a stag beetle, they look like this.
I remember the first time I heard a stag beetle.... it sounded like a small biplane coming in to land. Still haven't seen one in the area... apparently they like decaying wood

#3 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:34 PM

See previous thread Stag Beetles in CP started by Belle June 27 2006 (sorry, can't do link).

We are big on Stag Beetles round here :-)

Edited by Rosehip, 07 June 2007 - 05:34 PM.

#4 Highview

Highview

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:29 PM

Hi,
On my way back from my yoga class at the Waterside Centre this evening, I saw a stag beetle on its back by the front door. One of the ladies from the class helped it back on the grass. It was the first time I'v seen/noticed a stad beetle - looked big and frightening. :o

#5 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 07:36 AM

A wonderful sight last night - a stag beetle flying around the woods and gardens off Auckland Road. Oddly enough it was also on 7 June that I saw the first stag beetle of last summer. Who knows what emotions of romantic ardour propel the little beasts into the air?

Edited by andreas, 08 June 2007 - 07:40 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#6 cliff

cliff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:22 AM

I saw a beautiful male stag beetle who spent last Saturday afternoon resting in the sun on the wall in Highlands Court.

I hadn't seen one for a good few years. Shamefully, when I'd finally got round to getting my camera he'd scampered off... :P

#7 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:21 PM

In the last couple of weeks I've seen two Stag Beetles, both females (Thicket Rd). There has been a lack of Stag Beetles for a few years so lets hope this will be a good year.

#8 beefqueen

beefqueen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:26 AM

One was seen crashing into my neighbour's window in Gipsy Hill last weekend. I didn't know what it was; my neighbour got very excited at having seen one. She said that it had probably come from Long Meadow, opposite our building.

#9 Clarity

Clarity

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 04:35 PM

I have seen several stag beetles recently in the area around Auckland Road/Sylvan Hill, including six in one day - so there are a lot out there!

Edited by James, 12 June 2007 - 07:36 AM.
Removed unnecessary quoted reply

#10 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:38 AM

We have a photo of a stag beetle on our wildlife page.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#11 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:19 PM

I haven't yet seen one this year. For those that have, would you consider taking part in the Stag Beetle Survey?
http://www.wildlondo...stag_beetle.php

I've also seen the idea of burying a bucket in the ground to provide the conditions which stags need. I've got rather a lot of dead wood at the side of my house, just from prunings of large shrubs, so perhaps that will help, but I know they take years to grow into beetles. Here's how to do it if anyone's interested:
http://www.speciesda...j/BB4bIntro.htm

#12 Urma

Urma

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:23 PM

Rescued a little lady stag beetle from the clutches of Wimbledon's U9 cricketers last Sunday (so much for that privileged upbringing!) on their pitch.

Thanks Elleme - I've filled in the survey.

#13 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

The Stag Beatles are back in town. Found a mid-size one in my garden this afternoon. Perhaps my rotting wood pile is working after all.

Anyone else seen any this year?

#14 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

I almost stepped on one on the way to the bus stop today (I was going to the bus stop, not the stag beetle). I picked it up and put it on a near-by bush for safety
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#15 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 11:45 PM

It's really usefull if you record (and photograph) your sighting of a stag beetle, then fill in the form on a website set up by the People's Trust for Endangered Species. (Last few years the London Wildlife Trust have taken records)
http://www.greatstaghunt.org/
They are easily mistaken for the Lesser Stag Beetle. The stag beetle has a chestnut brown "wing casing" while the lesser stag beetle is all black. So its worth looking at the ID guide on the website.

If your ever involved in making a log pile for stag beetles, remember to tell the organiser they prefer the logs half buried and stacked vertically like posts, rather than a pile of horizontal logs.
We're in a exceptionally good area for stag beetles, and most of us should see some if we live in this area for a while.