Stag Beetles

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:12 PM

Anyone seen any Stag Beetles this year? Loads last year but not seen any this year.....

#32 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

This was a very good year for stag beetles around Crystal Palace. They only seem to appear over a few evenings so it's very easy to miss them.

This year I saw loads about on evenings between 18-25 June.

#33 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:40 PM

yes definitely. On one evening in that period, we had about three at a time flying around the garden just off Stambourne Woods.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#34 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:32 AM

Stag beetles are well and truly established in our garden. Accidently uncovered two yesterday when digging out a veggie plot. Have moved elsewhere and hopefully they will survive.

It emerged from a large cylindrical tunnel in a clod of earth.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is a really interesting site:

Illustrated stag beetle Lucanus cervus life cycle

#35 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:05 AM

What a fantastic creature!

#36 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

Saw my first stag beetle of the year yesterday evening flying around two hawthorn trees at the end of the garden.

Not the largest one I've ever seen but good to see them back. The flying precision was much better than I thought it would be.

Anyone else done any spotting? The Stag Beetle hunt continues so please log any sightings as they are endangered (link below)

http://www.ptes.org/index.php?page=392

#37 raven1978

raven1978

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 01:25 PM

I saw a female stag in my back garden last week (Fox Hill area). What an amazing creature! It did frighten me a bit when it took off, but magnificent all the same.

#38 georgiegirl

georgiegirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:55 AM

I've seen 2 this year, one along Biggin Hill on the way home from the school run - my daughter was delighted, and one along Elder road. They were both in precarious locations, one on the path and one in the road. I moved them both to the side of the pavement, so hopefully they stayed safe.

#39 Redbunny23

Redbunny23

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Saw a stag beetle yesterday evening flying around Stambourne Way - but just the one so far. Any more?

#40 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:36 PM

A male stag beetle spotted in the neighbours' garden yesterday...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#41 captainmcdan

captainmcdan

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

Just found this magnificent beastie at the bottom of the garden

Posted Image

#42 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

I've always known the stag beetle as the June Bug - speaks for itself I suppose. Alas haven't seen one this year floating in the balmy June evening air, possibly because we haven't had many such evenings.

Did any one see the unfortunate ex-June Bug on the pavement just up Gipsy Hill from Luigis, spotted Monday? A female methinks, poor thing.
Tadpole - my favourite word

#43 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

I saw a Stag Beetle lumbering through the air on Maberley rd last evening, scaring the living crap out of two little kids who came out of the nursery school. You can kind of see their point; a comparatively huge spiky monster, making a noise like a motorbike, flies towards them, intent on death or world domination or something. My god, did they scream.

As for June bugs, I've always applied that name to the little metallic green guys that love our rosemary. These ones:-

Posted Image

#44 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Sorry, Senor, I think someone done tell you the wrong name. A junebug has lots of different meanings, since common names are unstandardised and its a general term, but none of them link up to stag beetles (or staghorn beetles as they are called in the US).
Junebugs (and maybugs) usually refer to a number of species in the genus Phyllophaga. Stag beetles are in a different family, with about 1200 different species (none of them are Phyllophaga). Both are beetles though, and not bugs! Bugs have sucking mouthparts, whereas stagbeetles clearly have chompers.

Nik - simultaneous buggy postings - but your picture didn't come through! BTW, I hope you come to the social as I wanted to ask you questions about raising bees, which I gather you know quite a lot about!

Edited by Ziwa, 21 June 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#45 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

I hope you come to the social as I wanted to ask you questions about raising bees, which I gather you know quite a lot about!

Can someone remind me when it's on please? Also Ziwa, bear in mind I've only been beekeeping for three seasons, and have lost two colonies in that time. Mind you, we did get a superb harvest of honey last year, even our bee mentors ( http://www.beesnbeans.co.uk/ ) agreed that it was unusually good stuff. And I've already got colleagues at work pestering me to take orders...

Edited by nikdevlin, 21 June 2012 - 11:46 AM.