Stag Beetles

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Can someone remind me when it's on please?

Friday 20th July - Grape and Grain pub from 7 pm.

#47 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I can make that...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#48 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well I'll stand corrected on the June Bug thing and won't post the YouTube of the B52's eponymous song as they're not my favourite band!!!

Thanks ND and Ziwa for correcting moi and the exercise in classification. I was obviously asleep in that lesson! We don't get green bugs in our rosemary and owls at these lower altitudes. Seems it all happens near the top of the hill!

As they are so popular round here maybe they might get their own classification - Lucanus Cervus Norwoodii maybe - why not? We don't have to follow the rules exactly do we?
Tadpole - my favourite word

#49 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

We did get a superb harvest of honey last year, even our bee mentors ( http://www.beesnbeans.co.uk/ ) agreed that it was unusually good stuff. And I've already got colleagues at work pestering me to take orders...

Might a jar help my hayfever-induced sneezing, do you think?! :(

#50 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

Yes it does, but it should really be local honey. The pollen components in the honey will help build an immunity to the pollen in the air, apparently. Trouble is, the hay fever season starts well ahead of honey production, but I'll let you know as soon as it becomes available...
I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#51 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Please do! :)

#52 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

Friday 20th July - Grape and Grain pub from 7 pm.

drat - I'd got it in me 'ead it is this Friday....June, July, all the same.

As for June bugs, I've always applied that name to the little metallic green guys that love our rosemary. These ones:-

Posted Image

Gosh, in the US we call those Japanese Beetles, and the brown ones are June Beetles or Junebugs.

As they are so popular round here maybe they might get their own classification - Lucanus Cervus Norwoodii maybe - why not? We don't have to follow the rules exactly do we?

No, of course you don't have to use words that mean the same thing to different people....t'was brillig and the slithey toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogroves, and the momwraths outgrabe....

#53 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:07 PM

No, of course you don't have to use words that mean the same thing to different people....t'was brillig and the slithey toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe, all mimsy were the borogroves, and the momwraths outgrabe....

Ha Ha glad you noted the mimsiness of my borogoves! I'm sure Lewis Carroll would have been totally attuned with Linnaeus! :)
Tadpole - my favourite word