Photo

Westow House

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (12 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. Good (16 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Average (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

4. Poor (6 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Triangle

#62 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:12 AM

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Triangle

Dark Side Of The......Cambridge?

#63 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

hey, thats one of my bestest ever albums!

Me too!

So, so you think you can tell
The White Hart from the Railway Belll-lllll,
Black Sheep from 'The Grain.
Can you tell the Holly Bush
From the Cambridge's Ale?
The Alma from the Holy Grail?
Do you think you can tell?

Never tried the Alma's ale but I hear it's very good ...
aka Pie

#64 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

Never tried the Alma's ale but I hear it's very good ...

Really? I heard that it was Obscured by Clouds

- anyway you bunch of Animals - reckon weve hit the Wall on this one - so no More Meddling - and if you do you'll - get a Saucerful of Sam Smiths!

Back to Westow House - last time I tried it was a Friday night and left 9 ish when it got too loud to talk easily - not really my scene when its like that - but reckon its just me getting old cos it was pretty full and offers something a bit more punchy than most of Palace's pubs - so good luck to them

#65 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

Really? I heard that it was Obscured by Clouds

It wasn't the clouds that were the problem chewy, it was the temperature. A wee bit on the warm side.

#66 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:17 AM

Awful in there last night. Some sort of neanderthal drinking game around the bar. I prefer my animals on the Discovery Channel. Not for the first time, walked straight in and straight out. The Grape & Grain are all too happy to take my money I'm sure.

#67 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:48 AM

Awful in there last night. Some sort of neanderthal drinking game around the bar. I prefer my animals on the Discovery Channel. Not for the first time, walked straight in and straight out. The Grape & Grain are all too happy to take my money I'm sure.

The G&G was great fun yestetday. They had some cocktail jazz in the aftenoon and The Sax Pastilles in the early evening (have to say that the Pastilles are coming along well - I am not neccessarily a trad jazz fan but they are so bloomin' good and enthusiastic that I am getting rather fond of them, especially of the vocal numbers. Rick says that they are apparently going to be doing a regular Sunday early evening slot).

#68 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:13 PM

Good to hear that the Sax Pastilles will be doing a regular slot :)
I saw their trumpet bloke in the G+G on Friday and was going to ask him when they were next playing.
Would say they were more dixieland jazz than traditional myself.

Anyway, back to the Westow House....

#69 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:25 PM

...Anyway, back to the Westow House....

I am too elderly for the Westow House.

#70 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 09:39 AM

yeah - think I am too old for it too - but can accept that it offers people in the locale a bit more vibrancy than most of the watering holes around here so am happy for it to be there doing what it does

#71 Chris73

Chris73

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

I like The Westow House. I finally managed to drag some friends up to the Triangle last night and decided to meet in The Westow House with the intention of a pub crawl. As it was raining, we just stayed there all night in the end.

Despite the crappy weather, it was buzzy, there was younger clientele later on in the night but a mix of ages earlier.

We ranged from late 20's to late 30's and we all had a good night, music not too intrusive and nice Meantime Pale Ale too!

The White Hart may be my closest local but The Westow is turning my head... Nice to have the variety as others have said.

Looking forward to see what becomes of The Alma.

Edited by Chris73, 18 June 2011 - 09:35 AM.

#72 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:30 AM

I've been slowly converted to Westow House this year by friends, largely due to the atmosphere and the better range of ales.

But was disappointed with the real ale festival on Sunday. Maybe I just caught the tail end of it (6pm) but there were only five beers left, which were warmer than normal and pretty flat. Oh and the staff serving outside didn't appear to know anything about ale and seemed more interested in chatting to friends, smoking or reading the paper.

Will be back for sure. But this was a disappointing visit.

#73 Ozzie

Ozzie

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

Has anyone actually managed to have a cold fizzy pint of lager in this place? I actually really like the pub but getting increasingly frustrated at paying £3.50 for a pint of warm flat lager and then bar staff denying its flat even though there isn't a bubble to be seen!

#74 Chris Palace

Chris Palace

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the bouncers are getting a bit silly in the Westow these days?

Was in there on Saturday and there were four bouncers - it's hardly a rough pub. Also they were stomping about demanding that people remove hats (fair enough I suppose but they're taking themselves a bit too seriously) and stopping people perching on the edges of sofas etc, despite the fact that there weren't any free seats.

The idea occurs that they are just bored and thinking up things to tell people off about...

#75 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

Has anyone else noticed that the bouncers are getting a bit silly in the Westow these days?

Was in there on Saturday and there were four bouncers - it's hardly a rough pub. Also they were stomping about demanding that people remove hats (fair enough I suppose but they're taking themselves a bit too seriously) and stopping people perching on the edges of sofas etc, despite the fact that there weren't any free seats.

The idea occurs that they are just bored and thinking up things to tell people off about...

Blimey.......seems a bit excessive :( And what is the problem with wearing hats in a pub!?