Photo

Westow House

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (12 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. Good (16 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Average (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

4. Poor (6 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 Chris Palace

Chris Palace

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:25 PM

The reasoning is that it obscures people's faces from their CCTV. Maybe they've had some trouble, I don't know. I do wonder where all the, erm, clientele from the crappy pub opposite went when it shut down.

It's fair enough if that's their policy - people can always choose not to go in there I suppose. But it's the general level of tension that the bouncers actually seem to cause that's a bit odd. Everyone seems to be having a good time except the bouncers who seem to get a bit bored and start telling people off. They actually made a crazy old guy take a Santa hat off on Saturday night.

#77 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

And what is the problem with wearing hats in a pub!?

CCTV is the main reason.

#78 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

Flipping heck, makes it all the more unlikely that I will frequent the place - still, they always seem busy so I guess people don't mind.

#79 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:56 AM

Agree on the Westow Bouncers. Recently told a friend of mine off for leaning on a table! Don't get me wrong, I appreciate their efforts and am glad that the place is reasonably welcoming, but they really don't help matters.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#80 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

If the bouncers are a bit of an issue it is worth letting the owners know so they can sort it out as I'm sure the last thing they will want to do is drive away business.

http://www.antic-ltd...orm/contact.php

#81 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

The pub was packed last night. Really nice blend of people and good atmosphere. Drink wasn't bad either - picked up one of my favourite ciders Dunkertons Black Fox.I first discovered Dunkertons on the way through Pembridge, Hertfordshire. After going off track for about a mile and half at the beckoning of a sign that said Cider 1 mile we eventually arrived at what we thought was an abandoned farm house and barn only to find that this is the heart of the Dunkerton's empire. They produce yummy ciders and perrys on the farm and I was very pleased to find this in the Westow House.

Bonus points given for the table tennis table and babyfoot which were both being well used and generating much heated excitement.

Extra bonus points for toilet roll in the middle loo and green carex soap. The ladies toilets are usually a disappointment but not last night. Not keen on the frosted glass though separating the kitchen from the toilets -ick!

#82 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:54 PM

I guess if youre a lass and have to sit down the whole experience might be a different one - but for me -its a case of getting thru the right door in the first place - doing the do and getting out asap -with my radar trying to tell me which way back to where I was - which in the white Hart can be a bit challenging after a couple - call me old fashioned but the idea of going to a pub is to me to get a bit light headed - ok pissed - and feel at one with the world for a couple of hours- toilets are a sideshow

#83 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

Oh no Chewie, toilets are mucho important!

#84 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

and there in lies the male / female divide - or perhaps I am not as discerning as other fellas out there -not beyond the realms! - but for me have never been put off by a pubs loos - its just a western thing no? - prob 80% of the world do it in a ditch - but there again guess they dont go t o a pub either - anyway -my point was the pubs loos or the quality there of doesnt influence my take on the place to any great extent - but am happy to be in the minority

#85 colincollings

colincollings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

and there in lies the male / female divide - or perhaps I am not as discerning as other fellas out there -not beyond the realms! - but for me have never been put off by a pubs loos - its just a western thing no? - prob 80% of the world do it in a ditch - but there again guess they dont go t o a pub either - anyway -my point was the pubs loos or the quality there of doesnt influence my take on the place to any great extent - but am happy to be in the minority

i quote

"prob 80% of the world do it in a ditch" No i think you will find that they do not they do it in toilets.

'pubs loos or the quality there of doesnt influence my take on the place to any great extent - but am happy' i am happy too when the toilets smell good

'and there in lies the male' you should never lie in a toilety

'its just a westow thing no?' do you heve evidence to back this up

'but for me have never been put off by a pub' loos' sometimes you have to laugh when they smell really bad

#86 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

Hey Colin - cut me some slack!

#87 lolliepoppster

lolliepoppster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

It looks like it's got new management again, either that or the chef has been watching far too much Masterchef!

We went in last night with a group of 15 mates for my other halfs birthday. We've all been there before (probably for his b'day last year) and were planning on grabbing food and a few drinks. The menu is....."tasty but interesting" . 1 beefburger, 1 porkburger and the rest of it is very gastropubesque. Razor clams, oysters, jellied conger eel, wild boar jowl, chive emulsion (!) and a variety of other things all quite pricey for pub food (i don't think there was a main course under £9.50) I remember when they used to do excellent pies and fish and chips. but the new menu had nothing on it I was willing to pay that price for! Especially not in a loud pub, if i'm going to spend £14 on a main course, i'd rather be in a restaurant.

Not to say the food wasn't lovely, just not really "pub food" in my opinion.

As I don't drink I don't really know what is a good price for an alcoholic drink, but surely £4.30 for a Crabbies Ginger Beer and £3.70 for a pint of cider is a bit steep? How does it compare with the rest of the Triangle on price?

But mates liked the selection of beers, other half liked the fact they had Stowford Press cider, I think it was just the menu which was a disappointment, I ended up having a starter and grabbing stuff on the way home. I was bemoaning the lack of snack style food and it wasn't till I went up to the bar afterwards and noticed the large selection of cheaper bar snacks written up on the wall behind the bar. But there was no mention of them on the table menus at all, and i'd already eaten my crab & rocket on two tiny slices of toast for a fiver!

So, all in all a good night, just not quite what we were expecting on food or price, having a menu of bar snacks on the tables would help, also, there looks like there are a great selection of fruit beers behind the bar, but with the lighing it's difficult to see what they are, and on a Friday night the staff are far too busy to be able to take the time and tell you what they are! So perhaps a beer menu which includes the more interesting ones?

But they do have a cute ginger cat now, which is nice.

#88 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Bouncers my pet hate if a so called pub has them i dont drink in them simples !

Tut tut ruperts cant be trusted to behave themself now whats the world coming too ?

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#89 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

Popped into Westow but find it a bit samey as Alma and White Hart , over priced average food and drink but at least its another place to go and busy so mixed feelings.

#90 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

• Beerfest this weekend
http://www.goodbeerg...alace-octopump/