Photo

The Rosendale

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Good (7 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Average (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. Poor (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Rosendale
65 Rosendale Road, London, SE21 8EZ

Phone: 0871 811 1490

#2 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:31 AM

We meant to try the Rosendale over the weekend but didn't get round to it. Was it open? Anyone go and have a nose? Am really hoping it takes off.

#3 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:11 AM

We went on Saturday for lunch, I believe it was not the same menu as the evenings but it was very nice indeed.

The re-novations looks great though still "smells" of new furniture, I am sure once is completed and more attended the atmosphere will improve indeed!

Overall a very nice acquisition for teh area! very very
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#4 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 08:18 AM

Hurrah! Will grab my girlie and pop along one night this week to lend our support... :)

Edited by kitkat, 02 July 2007 - 08:18 AM.

#5 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

Mentioned in yesterday's DailyCandy.com. Amazing that West Dulwich got a mention - they usually only feature places in Notting Hill.

Also, a friend went on Saturday - had a good evening, but felt that the interior was a little stark.

Edited by James, 03 July 2007 - 11:14 AM.
Extract -> Link (for copyright reasons)

#6 ben

ben

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:04 PM

I was there last night...for about five minutes. The bar itself is much smaller than it was previously, and the bar area is half the size it was. The promised restaurant area has not yet opened. As a result, even though there were probably only about 30-40 people in there, it was cramped, there was nowhere to sit, and there were disgruntled people standing about everywhere. Fair enough, but I had called earlier to book a table, and was told that a reservation wouldn't be necessary. When I mentioned this to the barman, he rather charmlessly suggested that I had made it up.

Not impressed at all. I took my girlfriend to the Mansion instead.

#7 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 07:40 AM

Went here Friday night and have to say was not what I was expecting at all. I was thinking it would be a gastro pub along the lines of the Palmerston in East Dulwich, but it's really more of a restaurant with a bar area. The place has been completely refurbished so no real feel of a Victorian pub to it but it has been done extremely well and would not look out of place in central london. The look is pretty stylish and very contemporary. We ate in the restauarnt section which is the raised bit. The lower level is the bar area which looks smaller and the bar is, as another poster said, very small. Wine list at the bar was not extensive (but in the restaurant it's far greater). There are different menus for bar and restauarnt. The restaurant is not cheap - average 15 for main and about 7 for starters. I'm not vegetarian but I was surprised to see no vegie main courses on the retauarant menu - there are one or two on the bar menu and you can order from that but you have to ask to have that expalined - why not just add them to the main menu?!

A real hate of mine this, but some food came on oblong plates - I hate that - it seems so retro and not in a good way. Also, presentation was of the nouvelle kind which I also don't really like - pieces of food set out in different places on the plate with lots of white space in between - horrible I think. Much nicer to have decent portions served on a round plate, just good quality food honestly prsented. Also, I have to say that I didn't rate the food that much. Ravioli starter was good, pork belly main was not so good - a bit tuff and served with more meat (can't remember what that was) and not enough veg/accompaniment - I know I could have ordered a side but this wasn't recommended and you do kind of expect that a main will be sufficicent on its own. Dessert was pana cotta which was good in its self, but served with strawberries which was fine but then with a kind of "jus" I guess is how they would describe it but just reminded me of the juice you get with tinned strawberries - far too sweet (and probably unnecessary). I was a real fan of Alchmy when it was around, and I would sya the food at Rosendale was not a patch on it and no where near such good value. Still, the place has only just opened so things may well get better.

The place was pretty packed but you wonder how busy it will be once the initial interest of it being new dies down. It's not really the kind of place you would feel like popping out to one night in the week just beacuse you want a bite to eat, unlike, say, the Mansion. There are 2 rooms upsatirs which will be available for private hire - not sure how that will go down though Beauberry House seem to do well out of it. My thoughts would have been that it would have been good to have a bigger pub/bar food area downstairs with fine dining on the first floor. Anyway, it's great to have something of this calibre in the locality, and I hope it beds down well and is successful.

G

#8 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:35 AM

We went there Friday evening too, and really liked the decor and feel of the place - much better than it used to be. However, it was pretty busy, as previous posters have commented, but we managed to share a table with some other folk. I agree that the bar area was cramped, and personally would have preferred it if this area had been bigger as the area (particularly W Norwood) needs a decent and varied pub more than another restaurant, IMO.

Still, the wine was good and the atmos was ok - although the bar staff were confused over the measures and we had to point out that they had overcharged us (in all fairness, they corrected this immediately). However, the main menu was a tad overpriced and under-veggied for my taste so we went to Indigo's round the corner and had a great meal.

I do hope that the Rosendale "evolves" a little and finds its feet - still feels a bit like the staff are settling in and aren't quite sure what they're doing, but guess that comes with a new team in a new pub.

#9 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

I had lunch there on Saturday in the bar area. No problems with overcrowding. I just had a mozzarella and tomato salad, but the mozzarella was absolutely excellent. The waiter said that the owner imports it from Italy so it's very fresh.

I am not keen on the new decor, but that wouldn't put me off going again.

Re the restaurant, I asked about vegetarian food, and they said that if given notice (i.e. book a table), they would make something for me.

It does seem a little odd that they don't have anthything vegetarian on the menu. Even meat eaters are known to eat the odd meat free dish. But I do feel that generally it's getting a little harder for vegetarians than it has been. I know quite a few ex-vegetarians who have gone down the 'will eat meat and fish if it's organic and ethically produced' route, so maybe that's what’s happening in restaurants too.
Rachel
My link

#10 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

You may be right, Rachel, but then some ex-vegetarians like myself still like to have vegetarian meals quite often. I'd prefer to have a choice available.

#11 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 09:40 AM

Indeed. I didn't mean to be rude to ex-vegetarians, and clearly, as a vegetarian, the more choice the better.
Rachel
My link

#12 Cassara

Cassara

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

Went last week and must admit was disappointed.

Need to sort service out. Got there and people just standing by bar waiting to be served and trying to find out what to do re. tables etc. No friendly welcome.

When people are getting drinks and settling bills the bar area seems too small to cope. People waiting a long time.

Got table. Had to ask 3 times for a menu.

Food very average.

#13 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:15 PM

a fairly damming review in todays evening standard; although I do love a good wine list...

http://www.thisislon...amp;expand=true

#14 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:50 AM

yeah, unfortunately i'd pretty much agree with the whole of that review. lets hope they take some of the comments on board

#15 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

I had lunch there in the bar area on Sunday. I am afraid I was rather underwhelmed by my pasta dish.\ t was supposed to be linguini with tomato and mozzarella. There was about a 10th of a mozzarella ball on it. V stingy. They are trying really hard to get the service right though, I think.
Rachel
My link