Photo

The Rosendale

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Good (7 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Average (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. Poor (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:15 AM

The Rosendale is one of the nominees for Best Gastropub in the Time Out Eating & Drinking Awards. Is it just me, or does that seem a little premature? It's only been open about 6 weeks. It has had a lot of press though recently, especially in the free newspapers, it seems to be mentioned in there nearly every day in one or the other.

http://www.timeout.c...on/edawards2007
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#17 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:07 AM

the "I don't know" must be a great place - it gets a mention in every category

Agree about being premature - don't see how this can be on merit for the Rosendale it just hasn't been open long enough to tell - seems a shame for the pub(?) too as surely unlikley to have garnered enough support to win it this year

#18 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:27 AM

Went here again on Friday and what a difference to my first visit. The food was much improved, service was attentive, great wine at a very reasonable price, and lovely atmosphere. It really seems to have bedded down well in it's first month.

The garden out the back was open and it looked lovely, complete with its own vegetable patch!

I guess the evening may have been helped along by being able to do some celebrity spotting - Paul McGann was in there - well, it was one of the McGann brothers (how many of them are there?!), but going by the voice alone it would have had to be Paul. I'm reliably informed by one of my Heat/Grazia/Reveal/Closer etc etc reading dining companions that he dates an actress who lives in Herne Hill. Who needs the Ivy?

#19 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:40 PM

Went for a meal here last night and it was fantastic. The atmosphere was great, the staff were attentive and the food was delicious.

Will be going back on many an occasion

#20 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:34 AM

3/5 stars on the Metro this morning ....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#21 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 11:59 AM

It was also in the Independent on Saturday magazine and got a fairly positive review.

#22 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:01 PM

its nominated for best new Gastropub in the Time Out Awards

#23 Robitty

Robitty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:02 PM

Did anyone else see the large review of The Rosendale in Metro newspaper last week (5 September) - a whole page! But, as LSPE notes 3/5 stars.

Reviewer (Andy Lynes) described the revamp as "handsome and ambitious", though his comment about an oxtail pie being overpiced at 19 had me smiling ("given that it was made with one of the cheapest meast available" quoth he, but not in my experience it ain't!).

Some other comments selected at random: "a scary-sounding rooibos and beetroot cake" on the dessert menu (sounds v fascinating to me); "The earthy flavour of a precisely cooked fillet of red mullet was harmoniously paired with the delicate woodsy notes of sauteed girolle mushrooms" (must send that to Private Eye); and "Flavouring the butter (made in-house) with dandelion and burdock was taking things too far (difficult to dispute that).

Clearly there is some ambition here, and as Dulwich area is just so remarkably devoid of decent restaurants for the concentration of wealthy clientelle, it's a development to be welcomed.

Strangely, the review has whetted my appetite.

#24 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 01:52 PM

So the Rosendale has one the best gastropub. Not bad for somewhere that only opened a few months ago. It's good for South East London anyway. Will have to get down there and try it out. I wonder how much busier they will be now?

http://www.thisislon...gain/article.do
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#25 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 03:41 PM

WOW that's goooood news for us .....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#26 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:09 AM

A review in last Sunday's Observer (7 October)

http://observer.guar...2182042,00.html

#27 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:59 AM

Read that Observer review last night. I'd love to pay it a visit, but I may have to keep it for a special occasion. Seems expensive to me... more than Joanna's anyway. Should do well with the Dulwich dwellers though.

And I don't think anyone's posted the link yet, so here it is!

http://www.therosendale.co.uk :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#28 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:42 AM

Sunday lunch at 20 for three courses doesn't sound so bad though.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#29 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

I am not quite sure why this place is getting all the publicity it is. I went there the other week and whilst the food was very good it wasn't special and in my view overpriced. :unsure:

#30 hellnick

hellnick

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

Reluctantly tried the Rosendale the other night - I say reluctantly because I was bit suspicious about something winning a best gastro pub within a couple of months of opening and many of the reviews I read suggested it was a bit fiddly. I really enjoyed the food - braised ox cheeks with swede and mash was absolutely gorgeous, a real hearty meal, and the salmon and chips looked good too. Although my partner is wondering when south london will discover shoestring chips. The wine list was pretty good and the markup not too bad - pretty poor beer selection though, would be nice if they had as high a standard of guest ales as the Mansion.

Wasn't so impressed with the space - we ate in the bar area and it all seemed a little soulless and this mood carried over to the waiting staff... they were very nice and efficient, just seemed a little distracted. I'll definitely be returning soon as I'd definitely like to try the rest of the menu, but I think I'll try the restaurant area next time.

Hopefully whoever is responsible for the decor will take another look at the front bar area as it needs some work to make it look a little less of a cross between Ikea and a station bar, but apart from that I was quite impressed and thought it pretty good value.