Photo

The Rosendale

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

2. Good (7 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Average (2 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

4. Poor (6 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 08:07 AM

went on Sunday had a gorgeous mushroom soups, 2 friends had a steak which was very nice and another friend fish and chips - very nice too

the waitress was very friendly!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#32 Spooks

Spooks

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:55 AM

yesterday morning, fooled by the morning sunshine and a positive BBC weather forecast made plans to visit the Rosendale last night and sit out in the garden. So, as the rain came down, we enjoyed a superb rib of beef washed down by some decent Australian shiraz. Personally I think the decor is a bit 'west-end posh' for the premises and it is not the cheapest but excellent food and friendly service make it fair value for money.

#33 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

Went on Friday. The good - seemed popular, good refurbishment, beer of a reasonable quality. The bad - get a second mortgage if you plan on eating here, don't expect a sit in the sofa type establishment and prepare to wait at the bar as the service is very slow.
Nick, Forum Moderator

#34 sinhaha

sinhaha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 09:15 AM

Went there last year and found the dessert sublime , but was irritated by the overhyped bread/butter , and the overelaborate food.

Went there last night. Service was excellent. Bread/butter was again underwhelming. Food was magnificent , all three courses were generous , perfectly cooked and uncomplicated. The forerib of beef in particular was a carnivore's wet dream.

It IS pricey , but it didnt feel more pricey than it should be.

#35 syenite01

syenite01

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:04 AM

Mrs Syenite and I celebrated our second anniverasy here last night. We had high hopes and both very excited to try it and we were not dissapointed.

We arrived at a touch before 8 and appeared to be the first diners for the evening- although the bar area did have quite a few people eating and drinking. The decor suits the place very well and it was nice to have a decent sized table uncluttered with excessive glasses etc (you know what i mean... sometimes you cant see see anyone through all the junk on the table).

we were unaware that the bread/butter had been discussed in here, but we both loved it. i havent tasted butter quite that nice in a while. This was followed with a little taster of fig/parmasen/ parma ham and balsamic reduction. It was a really great touch and set the tone for the evening.

we started with the home smoked fish and the pumpkin soup. both sharp ( fish) and subtle (soup) without going over board. Ive never had snoked swordfish before but i will now keep an eye out for it. I'd like to sneak a peek at their smoke room some time.

By now there were about 10 other diners and quite a few people eating in the bar area.

After only a short wait the mains of seabass with tomoato and olives and the pork with a ratatoulli (sic?) arrived. We quickly realsied that some greens were needed and these appeared almost before we blinked. Both mains were rich, well proportioned and extremely well presented. All were washed down with a nice argentinian semillion.

Despite our fullness, we shared the lemon tart which came with a dollop of raspberry sorbet and a shot glass of lime juice. what a combo! I almost regretted having to share it.

Service and advice were spot on ( i think our guy was dutch/ flemish or danish origin- possibly the owner?) attentive, friendly and never over fussy.

bill came in just under 100 for both of us- quite reasonable considering our choices and the wine. Night out with yuor mates?? no way. but a special occasion? definately. I think they have michellin aspirations and they may well get it in a year or two.

#36 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

Sounds lovely.

I had to email your review to a couple of mates. We used to drink at the pub in the late eighties - there was drug dealing in the pool room, nightly fights, and memorably at least one brick through the window. Sounds a bit nicer now!

#37 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:28 PM

Not as good as Franklin's on Lordship Lane, but very good none-the-less...

Eggs Benedict starter was lovely I seem to recall.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#38 MrsCunningham

MrsCunningham

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:52 PM

What is happening with the Rosendale...Am I imagining it or is it under new management.

The last 2 visits have been disappointing....I know youo expect to pay top dollar in London, but whatever made it 'cool' has gone. We ate in the bar last time, and the waitresses were terrible...I asked one what a particular pudding was and she said 'i dont know'...so i said can you find out and she just said 'no, i cant'...and that was that! Im not kind of foodie snob...I'll eat anywhere, but when we walked past the windows last week, they had writing up re discount meals and mothers day meals...if you are paying those kind of prices - you dont want crayons on the window!

#39 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:29 PM

Sounds like desperation. They must be finding it tough at the moment.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#40 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

Thsi place is really expensive. I went here yesterday and the service was VERY slow and the portions were tiny. Not sure i'll go back again.

The garden out the back looked lovely.

#41 Stax

Stax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:08 PM

Went to a function at the Rosendale recently, the selection of food was very poor and from what I understand extremely expensive. I certainly would not have a function at the Rosendale or eat there at any other time.

Edited by Nick, 11 May 2009 - 11:29 PM.
Removed font.

#42 mammadee

mammadee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

We have been to the Rosendale on a number of occasions and have been less impressed with each visit. Monday was definitely our last. I was served pork which was raw in the middle, sent it back, waited ages for its return only to find blood still running freely. Manager and chef apologised, but I was still hungry and ended up eating at home.

#43 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

We have been to the Rosendale on a number of occasions and have been less impressed with each visit. Monday was definitely our last. I was served pork which was raw in the middle, sent it back, waited ages for its return only to find blood still running freely. Manager and chef apologised, but I was still hungry and ended up eating at home.

Oh dear :unsure:

I remember the Rosendale when it was a great pub - we spent many happy hours there. In its present incarnation we have not been tempted back, having eaten there once or twice.

#44 Mani77

Mani77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

Oh I wish I loved this pub... it's ten minutes walk from our house. Sadly (and we've really given it the good old college try, been in at least half a dozen times as a couple and double that separately) it just doesn't live up to expectations as a lauded gastropub. In the day, it functions as a cafe for local mums - nothing negative to say about that, they know their target audience, but as someone who works from home a lot of the time and wants to have a relaxing lunch break and bite to eat away from the computer every now and then, the 4x4 massive buggies taking up all the corridor space and lack of control some Mums have over their toddlers is not fun.

In the evenings, it's a very different vibe - either really sports focused (read impossible to get served and arsey guys at the bar) or still used as a creche during dinner service (i.e. after 8). If the food were worth it I'd put up with Tarquin and Sophie running round the place on scooters but the few times I've eaten there haven't enjoyed the food that much, with the honourable exception of sunday lunch. I'd come back in summer for sunday lunch but sadly will probably prefer the walk that little bit further to the Paxton where the prices are more reasonable and I don't feel like I'm intruding on someone else's creche. This is a pub/restaurant which very much understands its core clientele - if you're not part of it then try somewhere else. I've no doubt if I had a small family I'd really like it in here.

#45 Honey_dip21

Honey_dip21

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Been meaning to check out the Rosendale... hear such good things.