• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:28 AM

Hiya, can any-one please recommend a local Justice of the Peace in Crystal Palace? Thanks, Molly.

#2 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 08:39 AM

From the Magistrates Association web site: "being a magistrate is a public appointment so a list of magistrates will be published by the advisory committee and it is very likely that this will be available in the library."

Magistrates Association, 28 Fitzroy Square, London, W1T 6DD Tel 020 7387 2353, Fax 020 7383 4020

You could also try the Ministry of Justice on http://www.magistrat....uk/contact.htm

European.vote - EU Referendum

#3 Boblatina

Boblatina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 08:52 PM

If you don't mind me asking, why do you need a Justice of the Peace?

If you need one to witness a formal document for you or you need to swear an oath you will need to go to your local Magistrate's Court and ask to speak to the duty clerk. If you get there in good time (ie well before 10am when most Central London Courts start hearing case) you should be able to be seen right away.

I think you still have to pay a small amount for each oath/document you need to swear though. It may work out just as cheap to go to your local Solicitor and Commissioner for Oaths - there is a set fee so you won't get ripped off. If you know a solicitor or barrister socially they might be prepared to do the honours for you as a favour (all Barristers are also Commissioners for Oaths but most don't like to do the honours regularly as they are not set up to do it efficiently)

If you need a JP for some other reason, a call to your local Magistrate's Court is a good place to start anyway.

Local Mags Courts in the area are Bromley, Croydon and Camberwell Green. (If it was me I would go to Bromley, it is a much friendlier court)

hope that helps

TillyBob

#4 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 12:19 PM

Thank-you for pointing me in the right direction James and Tillybob, much appreciated.

#5 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hi there VNers,

I'm in need of a Justice of the Peace to witness my hubby and I signing a very short (only one page) personal form. I'm just wondering if any-one has used a Justice of the Peace based in the Crystal Palace area?

Cheers.

#6 sads1

sads1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

Hi there,

I'm not sure you need a Justice of the Peace but you may need a notary public or commissioner of oaths who will witness the swearing of a formal document like an affidavit.

Just call a local Solcitor's form and ask them whether they have a notary public/commissioner of oaths and see how much they charge - I think they could be as little as 25 or so.

Sads