Photo

Indian Dining Club

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (15 votes [65.22%])

Percentage of vote: 65.22%

2. Good (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

3. Average (5 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:06 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Indian Dining Club

244 Gipsy Road, SE27 9RB

Web: www.indiandiningclub.com
Email: not available
Phone: 0871 811 1435

#2 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:21 AM

Went here Friday night. Very full and good atmosphere. Food was good but we were still waiting for it an hour after ordering - when it arrived, they'd missed the starters! They threw in bottle of wine for free and were nice enougth about it. Had only been open a week so put it down to teething problems - if so, and they sort things like this out, I think it will be a great place (though not as good as Babur in Honour Oak which is till my favourite!)

#3 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:23 AM

I finally got round to going here on Friday night and it was lovely. The food was delicious, the waiters were really friendly and helpful and it had a nice atmosphere. We had a range of really tasty dishes and overall I found it good value for money. I left feeling so stuffed I thought I was going to explode! I would definitely recommend it.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#4 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

Ate out here last night. The food was good and the glass of Merlot I had very nice. The service was a bit unfriendly to begin with and they asked too many times how the food was. Like the fact you can sit outside and have a cigarette etc. The prices were a bit more suited to Clapham than West Norwood (7 -8 for main dish), however, it makes a nice treat. Definitely will give it another go when I'm feeling rich!

#5 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

we gave this a go last week sometime... expectations were on high and it started ok...but i rather felt either them or i went off on a tangent and the food was not quite there...like they were going for cinnamon club and came up short... i think i might try it again just to be fair to them! Difficult with the mansion over the road.

#6 JAM

JAM

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 11:44 AM

The Indian Dining Club has a private room downstairs which I booked for my 40th birthday "do" in December. There were 30 of us and I must say we had a fab time - lovely food and excellent service. There is a small bar area as you go into the room so we had a drinks reception before sitting down to eat (we brought our own fizz for that and paid corkage). We brought our own CDs too so we couldn't complain about the choice of background music!

Link to picture of Club Room

The restuarant gave us a choice of 3 set menus that had 3 choices for each course but you can of course order from their usual menu if you prefer. There is no charge to hire the room and you just pay for your food and booze as normal. We were sitting quite close together with 30 of us and 15-25 might be a better number really.

The only thing that was sad was that while we were having a whale of a time downstairs, upstairs seemed to be almost empty which is a real shame as I think this restuarant does have something different to offer. To be fair it was the Saturday before Christmas so perhaps most people were saving themselves for their Christmas dinner by then........

I received an e-mail from the restaurant the other day with details of upcoming events including a valetines day promotion, sunday times 2 courses for a tenner promotion, a family day with childrens' entertainer and a demonstration by a chef. No details on their website - I'll post when I get a minute...
JAM

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

Lucy I hope you know the boys in Palace Spice monitor this forum !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 Miss_C

Miss_C

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

I have only had takeaways but the food is fantastic. The delivery is prompt and they always give us a couple of free beers!

#9 JAM

JAM

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:05 PM

Details received by e-mail of Indian Dining Club upcoming events

Burns Night - Friday 25th January
The Club has some delicious single malts behind our bar, just mention this email, and I'll be pleased to pour you a complimentary dram at the end of your meal, or whilst waiting to collect a takeaway.

St Valentine's Day by Candlelight - Thursday 14th February
We are now taking reservations for Valentine's Day, when we will offer a gourmet three-course candlelit diner for 25 per person.

Family Day with Children's Magic Sunday 24th February
Enjoy at delicious Sunday lunch with all the family, and then relax as your children are entertained by the magnificent David Weeks performing magic! (David is a gold star Member of the Inner Magic Circle, and renowned children's magician.) Lunch 12.45 for 1.00pm; Magic approx. 2.00pm-3.00pm. Children 9, Adults 15; Please book in avance.

Chef's Masterclass March (date tbc)
We are inviting one of our consultant chefs to cook a special banquet and give a brief introduction to some of the dishes. This very special event will be held on a weekday evening in March and is likely to cost around 20 per person.

The Indian Dining Club has also been invited by The Times to join their Eat Out for 10 Promotion running between 23rd February and 30th April. We will be offering a two course a la carte menu on from Sunday to Wednesday evenings. Details and Terms and Conditions will appear in the Times on Saturday 23rd February and on their website.

Finally, for those of you who have enquired about the popular Murgh Dehradun on our Special Menu this month, click here: http://dehradun.nic.in/gallery.htm to see more of this ancient Indian city in the foothills of the Himalayas, the home of this delicious dish.

Edited by JAM, 23 January 2008 - 03:06 PM.

JAM

#10 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:32 PM

Went here last Thursday with me better half - enjoyed it very much indeed.

Not too busy maybe 3/4 couples but food and service was excellent

I will definitely return.

#11 hellnick

hellnick

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 07:21 PM

Stopped by the Indian Dining Club in the middle of the week and had a lovely meal. Highly recommend visiting and trying Mrs Khan's mackerel from the specials menu - the more people that have it the more chance it will get on the regular menu... try it with gobi bhajee

Food is always inventive, fresh and delicious and the mark up on wine seems fair - the space is nice too, worth the effort to visit rather than just getting a delivery.

Edited by hellnick, 13 March 2009 - 07:22 PM.

#12 Lorlorkins

Lorlorkins

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

Have just had a great take-away from this place - which looks really rather nice if a little quiet (although admittedly on a night England were playing a World Cup qualifier) inside. Very helpful gentleman gave me some sound advice with my order and Maas Biran (traditional Bengal fish dish) was spot on. Thank you!

#13 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

Went with a couple of mates last night after a couple of beers in the Mansion. Very, very good food. Exceptional actually. Service was good, and it's tastefully decorated as well. It all made for a very pleasant dining experience.

Well worth the walk down the hill.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#14 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

We visited on a Wednesday evening - our regular (Palace Spice) was closed due to a power cut. Inevitably one makes comparisons between PS and IDC. We thought that our food at PDC lacked texture and interest compared to PS where whole bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, coriander etc accompanied the meal. It was as though the food was overblended at IDC. However tastewise there was little to complain about. The service was very efficient with a very short time before the food arrived (is this a good or bad thing?). The food looked relatively uninteresting and the naan bread was presented in small precut portions ... hmmm...I like to tear my naan bread. My wife finished before me and her plate was whisked away while I was still eating. Some people might find the appearance of finished dishes on the table as disconcerting but I regard them as testament to my appetite and prefer to be unhurried. The waiters were obviously very keen to please but I think there is a balance to be struck in making the customer feel relaxed. the decor is fine and the spice platters are excellent so overall I think this place has potential provided they are prepared to listen to sound out the views of their customers. One last thing......please please serve draft beer!

#15 Curzon

Curzon

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

As the sister restaurant to the Kennington Tandoori which has long been one of my favourites i was very excited to find IDC down the hill (despite enjoying Gurkha Cottage beforehand) and promptly ordered a takeaway - it wasn't quite up to scratch i don't think. It was good but not much better than GC and considerably more expensive. They chuck in a bottle of beer or two which is nice but i'd prefer to pay less and choose my own beer!