90 replies to this topic

#31 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 12:56 PM

I agree I bet there are 1000's of people who couldnt care less whether people hold hands but we all know every pub has some unsavoury customers who intimidate everybody not just gay people.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#32 beefqueen

beefqueen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 01:05 PM

I agree I bet there are 1000's of people who couldnt care less whether people hold hands but we all know every pub has some unsavoury customers who intimidate everybody not just gay people.
Dazza

True. But intimidation is an order of magnitude worse when someone is targeted simply because of one of their fundamental characteristics (be that gender, race or sexual orientation).

#33 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 04:31 PM

Mr and Mr Gipsy here. Not sure about a need for a gay venue in Crystal Palace, as some of you mentioned we don't really see a need for separating ourselves...Have made the trip down to Southern Pride once, but only for a laugh

#34 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

Though in principle I agree with you Gipsy and I tend to stir away from the "scene", in reality some of us prefer to play safe and stay in a comfortable environment (like a gay venue) where they do not have to fear the risk of being bashed - mind you, not a long time ago some friends have been attacked outside the 2Brewers in Clapham ... though it fired back to the attackers cause they were all gay rugby players!

Whilst I have never had any issue around here some friend who were more "obvious" (i.e. fitted certain sterotypes) have been verbally abused in the streets.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#35 Beulah

Beulah

Beige

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:35 PM

Crystal Palace Pride. Count me in!!

Meanwhile, having grown bored with the pitiful lack of a definite gay named gay spot C/Palace wise, there is a bar that does seem to be rather Rainbow, and it's my place to relax on the odd Sunday. Granted though it does appear to be more gay lady, but then again, I'm not that spot on when it comes to gaydarring the boys.

Could I also direct some of you who don't already know to a wonderful gay pub over in Bromley. Friendly staff, equally friendly clientele. They have the usual karoake, pub quiz nites, and drag queen evenings. The Bromley Pride people held their first event there. A good evening and I have the best wishes for the guy who runs the place. He's a community minded guy, and takes on board what his customers are after. I should also mention that upstairs there's a pole (yes, as in dancing) waiting to be used. This upstairs room is also available for whatever and has it's own bar.

Edit: Reading back what I've written, I have no ties to this Bromley pub, for the record I've had a good time every last visit.

Edited by Beulah, 16 August 2007 - 07:54 PM.

#36 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:11 PM

... there is a bar that does seem to be rather Rainbow, and it's my place to relax on the odd Sunday...

Erm.... where is this place?? You didn't say in your post...
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#37 Richard Williams

Richard Williams

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 09:11 AM

Though in principle I agree with you Gipsy and I tend to stir away from the "scene", in reality some of us prefer to play safe and stay in a comfortable environment (like a gay venue) where they do Whilst I have never had any issue around here some friend who were more "obvious" (i.e. fitted certain sterotypes) have been verbally abused in the streets.

Having stood in two local election for Crystal Palace ward I have only once had my sexuality mentioned whilst knocking on doors (for votes ;) ).
I wouldn't say no to a 'gay' venue in CP though. And love the idea of Crystal Palace pride....

#38 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:06 AM

I am not exactly a pro-Pride person to be honest - or at least not as it is made these days ...
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#39 new_boy_in_town

new_boy_in_town

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

Another gay boy here ... (never went into Cafe Lava either).

An evening in Los Torreros (it's nice to have a drink in there) is usually very friendly and has a nicely mixed, well-behaved bunch of people which I think is just how it should be. White Hart too.

#40 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 07:58 PM

I definatley know im NOT the only gay in the CP village. I think theres quite a lot of gay men and women moving to the dizzy heights of the Palace i cant quite put my finger on it but i know atleast 11 couples in the past year who have moved here for the friendly community, bars & restaurants and the also the historic surroundings with affordable prices.

I never went to cafe lava, and feel that the palace has a good diverse range of bars, restaurants and cafes that are gay friendly anyway, i dont think its necessary for a gay bar or cafe when the businesses in CP so far are brilliant. We as in a group of gay friends frequent White Hart, Mansion,Numidie, Domalis, Cafe st Germain, Lorenzos, Ghurkka Cottage and Los Torreros with friendly staff and excellent service...

I wouldnt live anywhere else in london at the moment....

C.P. PRIDE 2008 here we come.... ha ha
see you all at soho pride tomorrow...
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#41 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

Wow! It seems the straights may be outnumbered in CP! A VN poll would be interesting... :rolleyes:
aka Pie

#42 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:59 AM

I went to a conference one day last year where the MD of this large bank mentioned the fact that white, heterosexual, British men will be a minority in the City by 2015! Quite a change from the old school ..

Anyway, if drinks are organised on Wed 29/08 I will be there so if anyone wants to hook up then, feel free to look for me and say hi!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#43 gartom

gartom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:42 AM

I've lived in the triangle for about 14 years now and have been out to local boozers about as many times, prefering Clapham, Soho or anywhere else a bit more civilised. Agree with other posts that Numidie is about the most comfortable place to go to if I had to go out in the Palace.

Don't get me wrong, I love the place (most of the time). But as a gay bloke I just don't feel that comfortable in most of the pubs here.

That said, if there was a gay bar up here I don't think I'd use that either.

#44 keitha

keitha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:38 PM

I suggest we start a gay drinks evening once a month on a Friday, rotating around some of the pubs in the area.

#45 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:33 PM

I'd suggest to attend next VN event and then we can have a chat on what we want or do not want to do in the future.

A monthly event sound good but (personally) I'd rather avoid separating from the rest of the group + Fridays and regular events tend to be unsuccesfull in terms of participation due to other commitments we tend to have with families and friends.

Any suggestion is welcome
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!