• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

Great post JamesL - was just about to rush to the defence of GH too but I think you've covered everything and admirably too!

Would also highly recommend the Park Hall Road garden centre - it's fantastic

G

#17 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:48 AM

Great post from jamesl - I love the Gipsy Hill area where I lived for a number of years in Garvens (to the immediate south of French's Field/Bell Meadow) - one of the friendliest places you will ever come across. Indeed Lady Andreas used to be my next-door neighbour but one. :)

We moved a few years ago to the "other side" of the Upper Norwood ridge so as to have more of a garden. It's quieter and wonderfully green.

And the only point on which I would disagree with jamesl is the walk to the Triangle - Gipsy Hill is superb, but provided you don't mind a steep climb, going up Fox Hill, Belvedere Road or Stambourne Way and then past the beautiful houses in the tree-lined southern part of Church Road is a real pleasure.

For me, Crystal Palace has been a complete delight.

Edited by andreas, 13 September 2007 - 07:49 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#18 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:03 AM

You beat me to it Andreas - I do think that the walk along Belvedere is hard to beat. Admittedly, the walk down the hill is better - less exhausting and amazing views.

Re the streets round the Central Hill Estate, I've never lived there myself but I know of two people who have lived on Whiteley Road and found it pretty rough so I am going off people's actual experiences rather than generalising.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#19 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:08 AM

I recently moved to Crystal Palace after five years in Birxton and really like it here. It's green, reasonably quiet and has lots of nice places to go out. There's also the park (and south norwood lake!) to enjoy. I'm still getting used to not having a tube on my doorstep but the journey to work has so far been ok. I get a seat every morning so I really can't complain.

#20 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:08 AM

The thing to take away from all this discussion is that lots of people love the general area and each seems to advocate their own area above others... a nice kind of local prejudice that tells you people are generally happy and have pride in their neighbourhoods.

That said, remember that anyone regularly logging on to this site is by definition a fan! If you didn't like it here, would you spend your time reading and writing on the Virtual Norwood site?

When we were househunting we looked over most of the areas being advocated here. I decided early on that Gipsy Hill was the only place I really wanted to be - loved the views (and couldn't afford the Belevedere side). But the properties we saw there were often too much compromise for us on the price-space-greenery axis. And the one we put an offer in on turned out to have secret (probable) structural problems that the seller and agent were being very squirrely about. I ended up getting hooked on the VN site, as I was able to get LOTS of informed feedback on this very confusing, distressing situation. There was a structural engineer, Steve Palmer I think, who used to post very information-rich replies. He probably saved my sanity at the time.

In the end we looked everywhere in the area and just like all the other posting people, we now have a secret smugness that we ended up in the perfect area for us. Go see loads and loads of properties, don't expect the process to be easy, and good luck!

#21 OG_Mudboom

OG_Mudboom

• Pending Removal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:11 AM

...and to summarise....Beulah Hill is the best area. The End. :D
Either they don't know, don't show...or just don't care what's going on in Norwood.

#22 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:01 PM

It is difficult to describe a 'good area' without drawing comparison to a 'bad area'. Just by definition all good areas are next to bad ones. I like Beulah Hill too but it isn't without it's problems. The larger properties are undergoing character assassination by property developers and last year's murder of Jordan and Leyla in their home on Menlo Gardens hasn't been forgotten.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#23 keitha

keitha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 02:21 PM

Having lived on both sides of the hill since moving to Crystal Palace, I'd say both have their advantages. If you're a cyclist, living down the Gipsy Hill side makes life so much easier if you're travelling into town. If you want decent outside space, the Belvedere Road side is better. If you don't care about outside space, the purpose built flats on the Dulwich estate are superb value. If you want to feel safe at night, the Belvedere Road side is definitely better

#24 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 04:20 PM

.... I refrein from every further comment or my hot Italian blood gets to my head and I will not be responsible of what I will reply ... he he he he

---- though Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#25 alic

alic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 10:48 AM

I used to live just off the triangle for a number of years and loved it. Only moved because I had to leave London. The only crime I ever experienced in the whole area was a very poor attempt to nick my phone outside Gipsy Hill station when there was a spate of this a few years ago. I never actually saw or heard any crime in and around the triangle and there is a real community spirit which always helps with such things. Very little noise from the bars/restaurants as most people seem to take the main roads out of the triangle not the small residential roads and great to be so close to nip into the cafes for breakfast or the restaurants for food especially if you work long hours. Trains were generally fine especially if going to L Bridge/Victoria and no real problems getting onto the Thameslink at Tulse Hill but as I have not lived there for the past year I cannot confirm current position. Hope you enjoy the place - I still have a soft spot for it.

#26 Numouse

Numouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 02:31 PM

Many thanks for all the replies, I'm glad I raised the question now, especially as so many positives have come back about day-to-day life. Forum socials sound good, is this a regular thing ?

It does seem that improvements are also happening quite rapidly in CP; has anyone else been suprised by the rate of change ?

One thing that is still quite amazing to me is the space, amenities and transport you get in CP, whilst still being able to buy somewhere with a nice aspect and at a reasonable price. In many parts of London you have to trade too many of these things off against each other.

Connections to London Bridge and Victoria do seem really good, its great being able to get to both sides of town; I dont have one fixed place or time of work so usually rely on the car for work. Gekko, you mentioned White City - TVC ? Anyone care to comment on driving into (crossing) town in the mornings or afternoons ? I'm doing this from Balham already, to eitther NW London, E London, or the midlands. Ive checked it to CP few times and it seems ok, certainly easier than locations further E or SE.

Whats the general consensus on weekend trains back from the west end or east end ? I know 2330 isn't that great - I was thinking west end to balham and then a cab home.

Thanks !

Numouse

#27 StephenB

StephenB

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 06:40 PM

There are later trains from London Bridge: a 23.49 to Crystal Palace, and the handy 00.26 to Anerley (plus a shortish walk or bus ride up the hill).

The night buses (N2 and N3) aren't bad.

#28 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

from west end you can take the N3 from trafalgar square alternatively I take the train to Clapham Common or Balham and fetch the bus or cab to get to CP if you do not want to travel on the bus
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#29 london lass

london lass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:48 PM

I think Crystal Palace is a great place to live.
I can only vouch for myself of course,and it may depend on your lifestyle/family/work commitments .
I've been here 9 years and I love the feel of the neighbourhood(diverse),yes, there have been bad things in the Triangle,and the flats over the back of my place are occasionally full of loud kids,domestics,cars revving ,mad stereos,etc BUT:
nothing you couldn't live with(and I'm q. intolerant!);
transport is ok!
London Bridge/Victoria works fine(I work freelance,different venues, and have always found trains acceptable,except when cock-ups happen as you'd get on any privatised line!)Access as driver to South Circ/M23/M25/M4 via link roads is good,usual London traffic permitting.

I find the area safe(Anerley/Park/Belvedere)presuming you are streetwise(the only place in London I lived in where I had security problems was Chiswick!!just use common sense,it's ok and normally very laid back here).I feel slightly less secure in the Gipsy Hill /Triangle central area,but I don't live so near there,so can only comment as a visitor.
No huge noise issues..
Parking free...
Bus to Westminster/Brixton/West Norwood/Tooting Bec/Croydon...
Great cafes and pubs,improving shops,supermarket ok,a feel of resident input and action to counteract apathy and tedious gentrification-without-thought..
Love it,and not perfect,so room for improvement,which is interesting!!

#30 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:52 AM

I recently 'discovered' a train from Charing Cross to Caterham via Forest Hill, which stops at Anerley, which is great for getting home after a night in the West End (I live nearer Anerley than CP). Last train I think is 00.11, and it is every 30 mins before then, at .04 and .34 mins past the hr. It may be the 00.23 from London Bridge as it stops there on the way...
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage