34 replies to this topic

#31 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:54 AM

Hi Numouse,

I have just started taking the train again this month, but I have been driving to White City every day for the past 18 months.

The quickest I've ever done it was 40 mins on 2nd Jan! The longest is 2 hours when there's been some traffic problem. Generally it takes an hour to an hour and a half. I go up to Clapham Common and then on the A3320 over Battersea Bridge (or Albert Bridge if there's a huge queue) and up through Earl's Court and on to Shepherd's Bush roundabout.

The journey is about the same length of time as it is on the train but I have to say that I've felt a lot calmer the last couple of weeks since I started taking the train again. There are so many idiots on the road that I often found myself getting really wound up and I can be prone to gesturing when provoked! (not very wise given the amount of road rage about :rolleyes: ). Not sure it'll last though - a couple of horrendous train journeys might see me back in the car!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#32 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:15 AM

When I used to get a train to London Bridge & victoria in the 80's you could do this in under 20 minutes from Gipsy Hill however this timing has been in decline ever since it is now nearer the 30 minute mark .

There used to be a massive sign outside Gipsy Hill station with a placcard stating the speed of this service but had to be removed for obvious reasons that is was not true.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#33 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:29 AM

Dazza, if you want to know why have a look at this report by The Railway Consultancy (based in CP)...
http://www.railcons....vedriving.shtml

European.vote - EU Referendum

#34 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:51 AM

The last train out of Victoria every night stops at Penge East. It leaves at 24:35 and takes 13 min. Its one reason we decided to stay on the 'downhill' side of the park....it makes a big difference if you are out on the town and don't have to leave in the middle of a performance or cut short a night out with pals to run for the train.

#35 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 04:17 PM

I always aim for the 00:11 from Charing Cross (Trafalgar Square) to Penge West & Anerley. Not only is it the latest train back to our area, but if you miss it your next to Trafalgar Square and the nightbuses. And like Ziwa, I also decided to live near the the bottom of the park for the better transport links. :)