• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 twill

twill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:02 PM

Does anybody remember the name of the toy shop in Church Road,Left hand side approaching Westow Hill.

I remember feeding pennies into a slot and watching the model trains go round the track in the shop front .

This must have been in the early 50s. My Dad and I would walk there on a Sunday afternoon from Thornton Heath.

#2 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:30 AM

I remember my mum taking me to the shop as a kid in the very early 70's I think there was thread about this place a few years ago.

I'm sure silver knows the name of this old place & when it closed down I believe the arched window front is still in place in the shop not sure what it is used for now.

This was my weekly treat as a kid now I have to buy my boy a Nintendo lite game almost every week for a treat how times have changed !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#3 twill

twill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 09:05 AM

That was my treat to,as you say times have changed,not all for the good.
Twill.

#4 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:02 PM

Could it have been Crystal Palace Model Railroads? Shown as a model maker/dealer at No 24 in Kelly's 1958 and 1972 directories (all I have to hand).

#5 twill

twill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 03:53 PM

Sounds good, I would have visited it 1950/1951 . The shop you have found at No. 24 probably existed prior to 1958.

Thanks for your trouble

Twill.

#6 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

My goodness - thank you for reviving a memory that I had forgotten ! For me it was the early 60's colected pennies all week to put in the slot - then we used to walk through Grange woods (I think that was the name) to see my Grandmother in Thornton Heath - Woodville road.
No one walks that far anymore ! :rolleyes:

#7 ChrisMc

ChrisMc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:43 AM

Hi all, I remember this shop, used to get the 2b bus from Gipsy rd up to Crystal Palace on a saturday morning around '67 '68 ish, the fare was a tuppeny half, to go to saturday morning pictures in the cinema which was opposite the model shop. I think it was 1 old penny dropped in the slot and the train went round twice. Gosh I feel old!!(52 by the way)

#8 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:24 PM

Twill it's possible that we stood side by side pressing our noses into that
rather grubby shop window, can't remember what they were called though.
It just came back to me that there was at a slightly later date another
but much grander model and toy shop almost opposite the old one.
Dazza's right there was a thread about the shop a while back but it seems
to have been swallowed by the archive.

#9 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:59 PM

http://www.francisfr...d-c1955_u42021/

It's on the left oposite the cinema. (Who went Saturday mornings to the cinema ?)

#10 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 07:04 AM

Watched 'Helen of Troy' there Joe and was smitten for the first time in my then very young life, much later 'The Girl Can't Help It' a real rocker.A bit off topic I know but Joe's reply got me going for a minute there. ah memories.

#11 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:55 AM

I was a regular at Saturday morning pictures in the fifties. Remember the Davey Crocket film with the audience enthusiastically singing along! And also some very naughty boys sitting behind me who put chewing gum in my hair & my mum going ballistic trying to get it out!

#12 Maz

Maz

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 04:07 PM

I remember the shop very well - used to go there a lot.

The slot for the coins was by the door, but the button that operated the trains was on the window frame right at the front of the shop.

One of the trains that 'performed' for you when you put the money in was a yellow tank engine with a big pink feather on the funnel.

I remember the owner as a rather miserable fella, who never gave me the right deal. But on reflection I was an oiky 10 year old and he must have been in his 60s then. In reality, it was an innovative window display and he deserves great credit.

It closed in the 1970s (or maybe even early 80s). A great shame ther eare now no good places in the Triangle to get shops.
Gabba Gabba Hey
פɐqqɐ פɐqqɐ Hǝʎ

#13 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:42 AM

I would imagine the old guy that ran the shop would be having a chuckle if he could read this thread now!

How inovative must it have been to have set up such a mechanical delight so long ago ?

#14 Anthony

Anthony

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:08 AM

Did anyone of you ever go into that shop?, I did once as a child and I really do not remember that there was very much in there except for a rather dark sort of atmosphere (that much has stayed with me probably because it impressed me so much). The area was pretty well served with model shops at that time, four in all and three of them on Church Road if you include the one that we are talking about here.

#15 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:23 PM

I can clearly recall the shop & it's windowly delights. I only went to saturday morning pics on a couple of occasions. My mother was reluctant to let me venture into the centre after a neighbour, who was caring for me one weekend, let me go to see 'The Jungle Book' on my own & I was assaulted by a bunch of n'er-do-goods who used to hang around the little shop on the bridge opposite what is now the bus station. The only surviving model shop that I am aware of, from earlier years, is the one by the bridge crossing Portland Rd in South Norwood, Norwood Models I think it's called.
Likes rock and roll,country and western and hip and hop