• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Maz

Maz

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

The only surviving model shop that I am aware of, from earlier years, is the one by the bridge crossing Portland Rd in South Norwood, Norwood Models I think it's called.

You're right.

And at least one member of staff has been serving customers there since before 1973.
Gabba Gabba Hey
פɐqqɐ פɐqqɐ Hǝʎ

#17 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:18 AM

The only surviving model shop that I am aware of, from earlier years, is the one by the bridge crossing Portland Rd in South Norwood, Norwood Models I think it's called.

WOW ! Does that place really still exist ? I remeber it well. Standing under the bridge it was on the right as you face South Norwood Hill.

I am talking 40 odd years ago !

#18 Tambo

Tambo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:26 PM

WOW ! Does that place really still exist ? I remeber it well. Standing under the bridge it was on the right as you face South Norwood Hill.

I am talking 40 odd years ago !

Yep Joe, it's still there. I secondary schooled nearby and was going there in my first year which would have been c.1968
Likes rock and roll,country and western and hip and hop

#19 AndyR

AndyR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

The one point that nobody has mentioned is the fire at the shop I can remember it quite well I think it was around 1969/70

#20 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:04 PM

I think it has closed down now? I may be wrong.
aka Pie

#21 fiddler

fiddler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

I remember the shop in Church Street which we passed very frequently because we lived in Milestone Road. These posts have brought back a lot memories from my childhood in the late 40s/early 50s before we moved to West Norwood. .

#22 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

I remember the window v well - it was quite magical, and a great consumer of money we did not have. I have some false memories too -an engine that worked on steam, a trolley, like the good old 654. It always seemed less attractive inside. I think I liked it as a toy shop, but the owner was probably running a model-shop. It was a time when model aircraft could be put to-gether, using elaboarate plans, balsa, and lots of pins and a razor-blade. Parents must have been insane! It was great to have a rubber-band one, which could go for miles, but the awe was reserved for those fortunate enough to have the ones with little diesel engines to tinker with..The smell! The brave sound.... :D