• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 tealight rookie

tealight rookie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

Does anyone know if there are going to be fireworks in the park this year? I went to Blackheath last year and it was great, but it would be even better to be able to walk to a display this time round.

And sorry if this has been asked already and I'm just having too much of a Friday to have found it...

#2 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:11 AM

Yes, there will be a fireworks display in the park this year, on 5th Nov. I found the info on Bromley Council's website.

http://www.bromley.g...e_fireworks.htm

#3 SallyClaire

SallyClaire

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:12 PM

I was looking up the same thing today (and found your reply) and there will be fireworks on the 5th according to this link: http://www.bromley.g...e_fireworks.htm

#4 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:28 AM

After the splendour of last year, the fireworks in the park last night seemed a bit lame. Not sure if they would have been better before they all had to be moved because of the change in the wind direction. I guess that also being an hour late might have meant expectations were high by the time they started.

Was also surprised that a number of restaurants (Numidie, Mediterannea, Nims Kitchen) were closed when the Palace was absolutely teeming with people looking for places to eat/drink afterwards. Even if they usually close on Monday's, you'd have thought it could have been good for business to make an execption for one night

#5 4 a horse

4 a horse

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:42 AM

The whole event did seem to be a bit of a let down personally. Met the wife and some friends for a warming up drink at Westow House and made our way down to the gate at 7.25 only to find a monumental queue going in both directions, a mass of traffic, a few rockets from the Jack Beards car park and some bemused policemen. Having been informed by one officer that the best bet for the fireworks was "to go back to the pub" (a moment I shall cherish forever) we waited for an hour and the display didn't really capture the imagination as much when you are away from the thick of it.
Also it must have been a nightmare for families with young children having such a delay, standing out in the cold for so long. Why didn't they do it on sunday or saturday instead, and use more than one entrance.

#6 sampilger

sampilger

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:55 AM

What a let-down, what a complete joke! My wife and I took our excited 2-year-old son and got down to the park at 7.30pm to be met by an enormous queue snaking all the way down Anerley Hill. We got in it for a while, but then gave up and went home.

Two things occured to me...

Why was there a fee to enter the park to see the fireworks? That seems a bit mean of the council. I don't remember ever paying for a fireworks display before? The queue to pay put many people off, including myself, while with no charge would have meant no queue and people could have just strolled in to the park.

On the council website the display said it would be between 7.30-8, so we got there for the start, and didn't hear anything. I think it started over an hour late around 8.30. Useless.

It was terribly organised, and the council and whoever organised it should be ashamed. Let's hope for better next year.

#7 fidel

fidel

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:07 AM

Last nights display, as far as I am concerned, was a total wash out. I know it had to be moved for safety reasons but surely this should have been sorted out earlier. I think the display was only half lit also, at one point I actually went and got a cup of tea, which was a cross between Thames water and Earl Grey came back and it still looked rubbish. I felt I paid 10 to go into a fair ground.

Come on Palace! sort it out for next year or we are all off to Beckenham. which apparently was brilliant.

Fidel
-
www.gunpowderstudios.co.uk

#8 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

I went to grab some quick take-away and noticed the enormous traffic and river of people going to the park, so I made it back home and decided to snuggle under the duvet instead!

I watched the fireworks from my windows (beautiful show from all around London + my neighbours) whilst on the phone with my friends (frozen) in the park he he he

For once I loved my laziness!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#9 Petal

Petal

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:12 AM

After waiting nearly an hour for the fireworks to be moved( I've never known that happen anywhere before ! ) I just kept hoping that it was going to be worth the wait. Very very disappointing display. Now the CP anniversary fireworks were in a different league altogteher.

#10 Clio

Clio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:35 AM

I was so disapointed. I had put my daughter off going to STreatham Commn on Friday because i wanted to stay local, even though that meant i had to pay to attend a fireworks display. After half an hour queing to get in down anerley hill then waiting an hour for the actual display, the kids were so fed up and tired that we eneded up leaving before they had finished as they were not spectaular in any shape or form. What a shame.
Really it was just another fair -
I have already decided that we wont be attending next year, it really wasnt worth the money !

Edited by gekko, 06 November 2007 - 01:27 PM.
Edited for tagging error.

#11 Rockchick

Rockchick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:42 AM

Poor...... They were s'posed to take place at 7.30 and they were an hour late..... and then not anything like as good as they have been in past years. Real dissappointment. I didnt pay to watch or have to travel very far as live close by....... but I would have been extremely fed up if I had done either!!!!!

And to cap it all I missed then the first 45 mins of Deep Water on Channel 4 (all about Donald Crowhurst who 'faked' his voyage in the first round the world yacht race) which I had really been interested to watch. So wash out all round!!!!!! :unsure:

#12 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:55 AM

Let's face it, they were awful...! Unless they put some serious backing into it next year, I'll be off to Blackheath. Shame as the anniversary fireworks last year were possibly the best I've ever seen... other than the Millenium.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#13 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

We watched them from home, and the fireworks coming from the Railway Bell pub were better (ie higher, bigger louder)!

#14 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:38 PM

Glad I didn't go then. They were fabulous last year but I decided not to go last night as I was knackered from work. I think they should have done them at the weekend really as you can't have an event an hour late when you have young kids attending. Also, if people are paying they have higher expectations so are obviously going to be more disappointed. It's a shame as people were pouring out of the train station yesterday and if they had a bad experience they will obviously go elsewhere next year.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#15 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:46 PM

the fireworks coming from the Railway Bell pub were better (ie higher, bigger louder)!

DITTO!!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!