• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 Bri_957

Bri_957

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:09 PM

Was a pathetic display, didn't even realise that it had finished as the finale was such a non event.

Blackheath next year....

#17 palacequeen

palacequeen

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:15 PM

Clues like, no big backers like Bromley or LDA. Why? Was it a private venture without public funding, and if so what did Bromley provide this year as they have done in previous years. If they have withdrawn funds for future events, does that mean we have to put up with what we experienced last night.

Guys with yellow jackets charging the masses without issuing tickets, leaving no possible chance to complain and respond, and individual riggers intimadating our local restauranteur.

I watched the performance at Blackheath, and it was at best, ok, but we said 'hey it was free, and we have the Palace show to look forward to, as its sure to deliver, even though this time we will have to pay!' unorganized, 10 minutes or even up to 30 minutes is Late but 1 hour, and for the display and the finale, what finale!

The damage has undone the good work so far, promoting Crystal Palace and surrounding areas.
A really really shame, this mistake should not be allowed again. A lot of questions should be asked!

#18 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

Found this ("showman"!). Shall we email him?

Showman Billy Davis promises to put on a whizz-banging display at Crystal Palace Park to celebrate the 402nd anniversary of Guy Fawkes plot to ignite Parliament. As well as fireworks there will be a large, pay-as-you-ride funfair and all the usual fairground refreshments. Gates open at 5pm with the funfair open from 5pm to 10pm and the flashing fireworks starting between 7.30 and 8.00pm. Full marshalling and security ensure that the event is not only fun but safe for children

* This event is for children

When
17:00 - 22:00
One day only

Where
Crystal Palace Park
Anerley Hill
Crystal Palace
SE 19

Event contact details
Telephone: 07971 007 012
Email: sstaddon@aol.com

#19 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 02:34 PM

Where were the fireworks moved to. Looking out my window last night they did appear to becoming from a different area of the park this year. I was disappointed and I was only looking out of my window, feel a bit sorry for those who bothered going and had to pay.

#20 ClaireyM

ClaireyM

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:24 PM

Yes, I though they seemed to be coming from a different part of the park than usual... Half of them didn't even make it over the tops of the trees, and there was a distinct lack of finale!!

#21 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:48 PM

It was pants! My and my boyfriend somehow managed to park down a road off the hill and walked up only to be met by the biggest queue in history. We joined the shortest end and suprisingly got in very quickly but although the fair seemed quite good the prices were extortionate :angry:

We stood around in the cold for the hour and almost gave up but to keep ourselves warm we wandered around and ended up at the front having a nosy at what the guys were doing with the fireworks. We shouldn't have stayed there as there were a couple of teenage girls who managed to completely ruin the whole thing for us and everyone around us. They were obviously very drunk and shouted and screamed constantly and whenever anyone made a remark or tutted they would get told to eff off and much worse. It was a constant stream of abuse and screaming and at one point one of them fell into us and the temptation to kick her head in was so hard to resist :P

They were using the c word out loud in front of very small children (and some not so small who would probably end up repeating it) and I think many people left because of them. The fireworks were very lack lustre and these girls were the icing on the cake. I wish I'd gone somewhere else now but being local wanted to support the park. Won't bother next year.

#22 JuliaABM

JuliaABM

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:24 PM

What a let down! We overheard lots of people commenting and not very positively either. We kept saying several times "let's go home" while we waited the hour for the fireworks to start, I wish we had now. The Crystal Palace fireworks by rights should be the bee's-knees of displays ~ they used to be once upon a time.

:(

#23 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:40 PM

Regardless of the delays, it was the worst display I've seen there in 15 years. Who exactly was the organiser and does anyone know the copy deadline for the Croydon Advertiser?

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#24 theandrewssister

theandrewssister

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

I'm relieved to read these comments as I hadn't been to a municipal display for years and, when I went last night and was really disappointed with it, I did rather wonder if it was just that I was getting old and jaded... but then my 4-year-old also lost interest half-way through the display and dragged me away. The delay was particularly annoying because they didn't bother to "test for wind direction" until a good bit after the start time -- after which they found that the wind had indeed changed (no breath of a breeze where I was standing) and then had to move everything. Hmmm -- never heard of a firework display being affected by wind before. But then, from previous comments it sounds as though it was notr a municipal display but rather something put on by the fair owner as an adjunct/crowd-puller? If this was indeed the case, I do wonder why the information about it on the Bromley Council website didn't make this clear.

#25 theatreboi

theatreboi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

hmmmm i missed the queue - i used the entrance by the bus station and walked straight in. But yeh the fireworks were pants! my favourite bit was the announcements from the very charsimatic microphone holder - he REALLY got the crowd enthused and excited eh!??! What a let down! Me and my friends took in bottles of whiskey and ginger which helped keep the cold out a bit, but feel that absinthe may be needed next year! the fireworks may have a looked slightly more spectacular! Also discovered last night that firworks look much better if you blur your eyes, and also, cross your eyes and there are twice as many....just a few ides there for future pyrotechnic enjoyment! AMEN x

#26 Mantis2K

Mantis2K

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:48 PM

I've uploaded the fireworks to Youtube. What a load of ***... listen out for the boos at the end of part 2 and the crappiest grand finale of all-time...

I couldn't be bothered to pull the sound back... I can't be bothered even now to explain why this year's fireworks were so ***.

Edited by Mantis2K, 06 November 2007 - 10:50 PM.

#27 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

I'm another one who isn't planning to go back next year. The best bit was warming up again in St Germain afterwards. I didn't expect it to be as good as the anniversary fireworks but that was ridiculous.

#28 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

So who exactly runs the Park at the moment and are they the same people who would be responsible for hiring out to the Fun Fair?

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#29 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:28 PM

I was really looking forward to my first firework display living in crystal palace. I was living near clapham common last year, which provides free fireworks and are normally really good, so had high hopes from what crystal palace could offer in its amazing surroundings. I now feel totally let down.

Having to put up with the drunken teenagers that Liz29 mentioned didnt help during the delay either, as there was a nice atmosphere to the night until the delay fueled the drunk kids attitudes!

And to make things worse I didnt have any mulled wine all night! : (
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#30 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

So who exactly runs the Park at the moment and are they the same people who would be responsible for hiring out to the Fun Fair?

Bromley Council owns and runs the park at the moment. The LDA have an option to take on a long term lease in 2009. Bromley would have hired out the park. Bromley appear to be reducing their interest in the park, so I'm not surprised to hear they leased it out with results you all saw.