51 replies to this topic

#16 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:14 PM

1. Jess and Laura are twins and competitors in the BBC2 series The Restaurant, where a number of couples are running restaurants to see who Raymond Blanc will pick to win a real-life eatery partnership with him. It's good but not heavy going so it's good for watching on school nights. The play-offs are on Thursday nights to see who the week's losers are. It will then be down to just two couples and probably one week to go so get in quick. (Can you tell I really like this prog?!)

2. Nico has not been back to say how he knows about Zizzi - but he seems to be a foodie so I'm hoping it's a reliable industry source. I have emailed Ask Restaurants, who own the chain, to ask (!) whether it's happening, though, in case Nico has gone on holiday for a fortnight because I'm too curious. Will post any news.

#17 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:19 PM

Who are Jess and Laura?

and why are we excited that two wannabees from yet another reality programme are opening a restaurant

I have a feeling that if it was Jade Goody that had been sighted the response would be different - Yet they are no better than her (and probably have just as little talent)

#18 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:26 PM

Not excited about them, just tickled by the idea of a Raymond Blanc place for CP. Chez Bruce is in Wandsworth so why not?

#19 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:27 PM

and why are we excited that two wannabees from yet another reality programme are opening a restaurant

I have a feeling that if it was Jade Goody that had been sighted the response would be different - Yet they are no better than her (and probably have just as little talent)

Why the assumption that just because they have been on a tv programme they are talentless? And no better than Jade Goody, that's a bit harsh! I haven't watched the programme much but by all accounts they seem to be very good at what they have done so far and are the favourites to win. They have wanted to open a restaurant for a long time, have experience working in different restaurants and saw this programme as a good opportunity. Most people, whatever job they do, would not turn down the chance to work with and learn from one of the best in their industry. They say on the BBC website that the type of restaurant they would open would be 'a very earthy natural kind of place, comfortable with very good quality food but with a home-grown organic feel' something that Crystal Palace could do with actually. And as they are apparantly from the area it is nice that they would want to open something locally. I say good luck to them whatever they do.

Would much prefer that to a Zizzi's anyday.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#20 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:47 PM

What a bizarre and very odd response Iclipper. How did you make such a massive leap to Jade Goody? What you have put into words is your own prejudice and certainly not anyone elses. Jess and Laura equal good wholesome food ( it's the food and concept that's the excitement) and Bosie summed this up nicely in his post.

#21 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

well good luck to whoever has the site - its just nice to see that the place will be used... Im an avid supporter of lorenzos but that doesnt mean im not gonna try out this new place whatever its gonna be... its just nice to have the choice in such a small high street otherwise if you didnt fancy any of the existing 'chained' restaurants (ie pizza express) well personally i would go to Balham or into town instead taking business away from the palace.... I love a bustling thriving high street - it can only be for the good.
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#22 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:59 PM

The twins opening a restaurant in CP would benefit the area no end, I think, with or without Raymond Blanc as well - they do indeed stand for good but wholesome food (their BBC2 restaurant is called Brown & Green...) and the spotlight they could give to the general area as a destination would surely only bring in more passing trade for the shops. Not sure they wouldn't be a clash for Domali but this may be a different topic - we still don't actually know for sure what's to become of the McDs spot.

#23 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

What a bizarre and very odd response Iclipper. How did you make such a massive leap to Jade Goody? What you have put into words is your own prejudice and certainly not anyone elses. Jess and Laura equal good wholesome food ( it's the food and concept that's the excitement) and Bosie summed this up nicely in his post.

Sorry if I have upset anyone, and its not prejudice its an opinion- I just find it a sad state of affairs that people use TV reality shows to help them fulfill their dreams and ambitions, instead of their own hard work and determination. I used Jade Goody because she is another example of someone from South London who has used cheap TV to make a name for herself, but who doesn't have quite the same 'allure' as the twins and (in my opinion) probably wouldn't have generated quite the same excitement and 'buzz'

#24 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:44 PM

Well, they're in the final!

#25 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:46 PM

Setting up a business is hard work, the number that fail in the first few years is huge. I personally would use anything at my disposal to increase the chances of my business succeeding if I were setting one up (as long as it was legal and ethical/moral) so I think that the people who have gone on this show have actually been very smart. Just being linked to the show will no doubt increase the draw that these people have if they decide to persue opening a restaurant. It's a modern day version of the old school ties network, a piggy back onto the ladder, meeting the right people, getting yourself known; except everyone can potentially be part of it.

They have learnt from and observed some of the best and have had to show that they have all round skills in terms of running a business. The show is not a substiture for 'hard work' and 'determination' it is a demonstration of it - they have had to go through some pretty gruelling tasks at a standard far higher than would be normally be required - many restarateurs would probably have failed. I think they have done it with dignity. None of the contestants have demeaned themselves in any way and I think this is where it differs from other 'reality' tv shows, such as people sitting around a house drinking and swearing for two weeks. It may not be the most thought provoking or rivetting television but if we don't want to watch it that is what the remote is for.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#26 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:00 PM

I agree, Bosie. They've had a tough run and it was interesting seeing how restaurants run. James, this would get a lot of Google hits for a couple of weeks on the back of "Jess and Laura" or "The Restaurant" but you can no longer see the forum without logging in. I do so I can read things but what about the casual observer (/journo)? It could be good for VN to reinstate viewing to outsiders. Full apologies if it's my lack of techieness but it happened at work and at home. Have you stopped allowing access to outsiders?

#27 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:32 AM

Spoon, we switch off guest access for a few days from time to time. It helps to convert lurkers into members. We've expanded membership by 150+ (10%) in the last two months. Anyone that wants access can have it for free by registering. At the moment guest access is back to normal.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#28 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

Ah, I see. Good going with the numbers. Some digging on Jess and Laura and The Restaurant has thrown up the idea that Raymond Blanc's restaurant for the winners to run is The Trout in Thame. Jess and Laura say they live in south London and had not found anywhere they loved to eat so they wanted to open somewhere in their "brown and green" earthy, organic style. If they are looking round CP, perhaps this means they don't win the competition but are taking their experience and opening something on their own, closer to home - hopefully round here (but that's just us idly speculating when we should be working!).

#29 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:02 AM

I followed the programme and I liked them more than the other couple in the final (I looove cooking so it was interesting to watch).

Pizza Express, Pizza Hut are chains with “Italian names in their brand” ….. and that’s it! Pizzas are waayyyyyyyyyyy far away from the “real” pizzas (check Osteria dell’Appennino in EC2 for a real pizza) and pasta are truly anonimous ...

Mediterranea is a truly Italian restaurant and Bruschetta a truly Italian “rosticceria/delicatessen/bar”

Lorenzo’s is good but not my favourite as it has lost its Italian “hedge”, been there twice and I was a little bit disappointed by the blandness of the sauces. Thogh friendly environment and definitely a gem in CP.

Carluccio’s is too rich but maintains a good Italian flavour (the Arancini are the best!!)

Al Volo is a truly Italian-fast food – love it !!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#30 Come on you Irons

Come on you Irons

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

Can i just apologise to Nico for my post earlier. I did not mean to swear 'at' him.

Anyway, as someone has quoted on here, surely another italian is miles better than an 'ambys' clone or suchlike. I like the sound of a hammers shop as someone else mentioned, but doubt it would survive in south london!!!

again sorry

COYI