• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 lovelydai

lovelydai

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 08:39 AM

Don't forget Mediterranea in your list of Italian restaurants - a different offering of course from like likes of Pizza Express and Zizzi!

We live next door to Matilda who owns Mediterranea. Still haven't been in yet, but we owe her a huge bunch of flowers for letting us put scaffolding in her garden.

#47 helenlewis

helenlewis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 09:58 AM

Hello
I've heard a rumour that the twins from the BBC's The Restaurant programme (the runners-up who should really have won!) are going to be bringing their healthy cooking to a pub in Crystal Palace this weekend (9/10 Feb). Does anyone have any info?
Thanks,
Helen

#48 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:20 AM

yes they are, i received a flyer through my door this week. Details as follows:-
Brown & Green at The Gipsy Hill Tavern
Starting Friday 8th Feb at 6pm and every thurs / fri / sat onwards from 6pm and Sunday from 12.

Wholesome, home cooked food made by us.
look forward to seeing you there.
laura & Jess x

cant wait to try some food there.....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#49 helenlewis

helenlewis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

Great thanks for letting me know! I'll be there this weekend...How exciting!

#50 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 01:01 PM

Brilliant, I have never been into the Gipsy Hill Tavern as I have never quite made it past the Mansion. Now I will have to give it a go. With that and the Comedy nights, which seem to be sold out each time I think the pub is onto a winner.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#51 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

So, did anyone go to this at the weekend?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#52 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 03:50 PM

We did. Comments have ended up in the GH Tavern comedy thread because the two events happened at the same time. (Don't want to repeat people but the food was yum and the comedy amusing in more ways than one.) We would try both again.

Specific to this thread is that when she brought the food over, Jess or Laura (whoever does front-of-house) said they'd been offered kids' TV and maybe a kids' cookery book, plus someone had offered to back a restaurant for them on a smallish scale. She said that (not that) helpfully, the agent who sold them their flat in GH had rung excitedly to report that the Pizza Hut unit was vacant. The girls think it might be a tad over budget...

They did say they were interested in opening a restaurant still and that their venture in the GH Tavern was because everything else was just pipeline and they thought "that's all very nice but what can we do NOW?" so they're doing this. Sadly, she said they were also keen to go home to Brighton to open up any eatery but really nothing was concrete at all. Having watched them devise menus and now eaten their stuff myself, it has to be said they'd need some strong differentiation from Domali, which I can't see at the mo.

Sorry I keep saying "she" in this but if you've seen them, you'll understand my problem.

Et voila. Really nice food and they seem to be doing it for a while in the pub with all good intentions so do go along while you can.