Photo

The Park

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (36 votes [85.71%])

Percentage of vote: 85.71%

2. Good (3 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

3. Average (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

4. Poor (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:20 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Park
56 Elder Road, West Norwood, SE27 9ND

Phone: 020 8761 4782

#2 hoops

hoops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:03 AM

If you havnt been to 'THE PARK' Tavern in awhile now is a great time to go in, say hello to the new owners Scott and Nick, and see how much it has changed. You wont believe your eyes. Just stop in...Scott and Nick are the lovliest guys around and will always have time to have a chat while you have a drink. Tell them Janelle from Australia sent you..!!!! See you down there soon. !!!!!
Tomorrow never comes....... Live for today and make the impossible happen.. TODAY!!

#3 scarykitten

scarykitten

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

Have to agree - a great pub. We never ventured in here before Scott and Nick took over, but this is now our preferred local (West Norwood could do with a few more like this). The Park reopened a few weeks ago after a complete overhaul and is looking fantastic - just waiting for the kitchen to be finished so I can work my way through the menu as well as the wine list!

#4 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:06 PM

Went to The Park pub today in West Norwood for the first time - what a great place! Nice decor and atmosphere, very friendly and efficient staff, good choice of drinks and good food. Definitely worth a visit and is very similar to the Mansion (although much much quieter).

They're currently working on sorting out the lounge at the back, opening upstairs and putting in some decking in the beer garden.

It's a welcome breath of fresh air for WN and does seem a little too good to be true for the area. Please support this place by paying it a visit as it would be awful if we lost such a great new faciltity due to lack of punters!

Edited by Knights Hiller, 09 December 2007 - 11:07 PM.

#5 jenhon21

jenhon21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

The Park is an excellent place to go for a quite meal for two or to have your birthday bash. I'd highly recommend that anyone looking for a nice, clean, relaxed place to have a pint and a pizza visit this fine new establishment.

#6 Miss_C

Miss_C

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:44 PM

The Park is a really lovely friendly pub, the sort of which WN needs more of! It is a real asset to the area. The owners are running a great little pub here and it deserves to be successful.

#7 MissDarts

MissDarts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:00 PM

I have spent a few nights at The Park... and a couple of lunchtimes, too! I love it in there! The decor, service and banter makes for a home away from home feel. I can sit on a comfy sofa with the papers (Nick and Scott have a good selection delivered daily) and a pizza (made from scratch by the guys themselves, to order) and while away a Sunday lunchtime free of kids. Or, I can get a game going (usually trivial pursuit, cause I think I'm clever after a glass of wine...) and have a hilarious night out with my mates.
Both owners, Nick & Scott, are really friendly, approachable and proffessional. They quite clearly have a passion for the business and are very knowledgable about their products. They have great plans for the future of the park and are moving as fast as they can to turn it into a first class bar.
I am thrilled to find a clean, comfortable freindly place to drink in Norwood that I can go into with friends or on my own ( very important to us girls who don't wish to deal with the more leacherous male clientelle that you might find elsewhere!)
I hope the boys do really well here, they have created such a fantastic space.

#8 Plyn

Plyn

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

Had a lovely evening here last Saturday; it's a really comfortable, relaxed and friendly pub. The pizzas were delicious - really thin, crispy bases. There are newspapers and plently of games to while away the evening. Highly recommended, I hope The Park is a real success.

#9 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:07 PM

Gets a fairly good review in this week's Time Out too!

#10 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

Here is the Time Out article:

West Norwood might as well be on the moon when it comes to good pubs. Formerly intimidatingly old-school (the Union Jacks outside told their own story), the revamped Park could use its leafy location to attract families. However, there are no high chairs, and its rather austere makeover ends at the gents.

The short menu is separated into Bits, Pieces, Pizzas and After Thoughts (an unfortunate description of three desserts). Many of the bits and pieces ('artisanal' bread, chilli-flecked olives, houmous and a big bowl of feta) were collated in an agreeable vegetarian meze. Though it was perfect for soaking up hand-pulled London Pride and Greene King IPA beers, locals might baulk at the price (8.95).

In contrast, the pizzas are a reasonable 7.50. The bases are hand made, topped simply with quality produce. A combination of salty pancetta and robust gorgonzola was heavy going but knobbly chunks of chorizo on one pizza, and torn slices of smoked chicken on another were a world away from your Friday-night 'Meat Feast'. As for those afterthoughts, a chocolate brownie was too dry but the winter fruit crumble fed five (the extra spoons, like the olives left on our table from the meze, were a thoughtful touch).

Though there is a pile of board games, on our Sunday lunchtime visit, there were scarcely enough patrons for a meaningful game of Kerplunk. But, with a new terrace under construction and plans for upstairs, The Park's owners seem confident that if they build it, customers will come. While this refurbishment is really only enough to bring it up to noughties London pub standards, that's still one giant step for West Norwood.
Martin Horsfield

Time Out London issue 1952: January 16-22 2008
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#11 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 08:36 AM

After reading the reviews on here, we tried The Park on Sat evening. What a nice place! The wine was good, and the veggie mezze went down a treat. The staff were really sweet too, which just added to the visit. We'll be back, probably with friends from the area.

We were a little sad to see that it was relatively quiet for early Sat evening, but some more people came in as the evening progressed and I do remember that Rosendale's used to be a bit quieter too when they first opened... and they're usually packed out when we go now.

I would appeal to everyone who has moaned about the lack of decent pubs in WN to have a beer here and support your local boozer!!

xx

#12 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

I too went to the Park - for Sunday lunch.

They have done it up really nicely, and, as Kitkat said, the staff are extremely pleasant.

We completely over ordered on the food front. Vegetarian mezze is definitely for two! Very good value for money.

Will definitely be going back. Such a shame there isn't something like this a bit closer to West Norwood 'centre'
Rachel
My link

#13 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 12:06 PM

We went there a couple of weeks back and had a really nice meal. The wooden dining chairs were knackered and rather uncomfortable, but it's a lovely airy space. :)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#14 clairy

clairy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

We also went to the Park on Friday after reading good reviews on here. It's probably the closest pub to our house in Gipsy Hill and has been decorated very nicely. The beer was fairly cheap, staff v friendly and there was no problem getting a seat. I'm sure it'll take time but hopefully will do well as a local boozer.

#15 littlefi

littlefi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

:blink: The Park is a fab place to relax and eat great food with friends, a home form home!

I went on a Friday 'girls night' after being told about this hidden gem by a friend.

I arrived first (which I hate!) and was greeted by Scott, the very friendly co-owner who made me feel at home, and I totally forgot about being the only one there from our group. I relaxed on the big brown sofa with my beer and awaited the arrival of my (late!) friends.

The food is lovely- I had Fungi Pizza which was a thousand times yummier than anything pizza express has to offer. Homemade dough- gorgeous melting cheese (bad for the hips but who cares!) fresh mushrooms, oh heaven, all washed down with a beer. Perfect.

The atmosphere was great, lots of people chatting away in corners, no screaming kids, no greasy men trying to chat us up, no uncomfortable chairs. A perfect girls night.

At the end of the night, when we really should have been going, we didn't feel pushed out, like you do in most places. Scott and co owner Nick, chatted away to us and made us feel really welcome.

What a great pub!

You must check it out!